• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61461.jpg
DoorButtons.jpg
#1 10 years ago

System 11 Whirlwind, but only the Advance button works until Music Off...then everything freezes (it will scroll the five music options with the start button, but nothing else). The buttons don't stick and seems to function. Anyway of troubleshooting these?
Pic of wiring attached, looks like prior works was done on it...if someone verify this is correct, that would be awesome.

DoorButtons.jpgDoorButtons.jpg
#3 10 years ago

Maybe this?
Selecting manual down during the sound/music test should repeat the sound, then selecting auto/up should advance sounds and allow you to proceed to the next test.
Check operation of the Auto/Up Manual/Down button (red center button) with an DMM or ohmmeter with the game powered off. Then check the continuity back to the mainboard IJ14 pin 4 (blue wire). Check the pins for proper of IJ14 and connector for cracked pins/oxidation/poor failing crimp.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks guys, this keeps me pointed in the right direction.

Quoted from wayout440:

Check operation of the Auto/Up Manual/Down button (red center button) with an DMM or ohmmeter with the game powered off.

What readings should I be looking for, I'm familiar with how to use a DMM...but not sure how to measure against these button? I'm guessing continuity between tabs when the switch is being pushed down and measuring the tabs with wires connected? Would the center button measure differently since it locks up/down?

61461.jpg61461.jpg

Quoted from viperrwk:

Yep - it's right.
viperrwk

Thanks for the link Viper. In case the buttons are shot, do you remember where you got the replacement 3 button switch assembly? The usual suspects checked with online only stock the 4 four button one.

#6 10 years ago

Just put a meter in continuity to test the switch out first. If that works, then you'll have to continuity trace the wires back to the MPU.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Thanks guys, this keeps me pointed in the right direction.
What readings should I be looking for, I'm familiar with how to use a DMM...but not sure how to measure against these button? I'm guessing continuity between tabs when the switch is being pushed down and measuring the tabs with wires connected? Would the center button measure differently since it locks up/down?

You got it, it's just a single pole switch and will measure continuity in one position (probably down) and open in the other.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-service-button and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.