Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171014_114411 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20171014-114146 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20171014-114125 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20171006-103012 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20171005-140629 (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

Hi guys, long time studier of the word out here on pinside,

Has anyone tried removing the glass display from a high speed individual score display and soldering up the pins to a display used on later 11b models with the 4 displays on 1 pcb?
    I have player 4 thats out on my Big Guns and would like to know if anyone has tried this before..

my +/- 90v are looking good at the glass pinouts off the display pcb, so im trying to isolate the issue.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Hi guys, long time studier of the word out here on pinside,
    Has anyone tried removing the glass display from a high speed individual score display and soldering up the pins to a display used on later 11b models with the 4 displays on 1 pcb?
    I have player 4 thats out on my Big Guns and would like to know if anyone has tried this before..
    my +/- 90v are looking good at the glass pinouts off the display pcb, so im trying to isolate the issue.

I took one off an 11a (F14) board and used it on an HS individual display just fine, as long as you're swapping like glass (numeric versus alpha-numeric, each game has two of each) it should work.

#3 6 years ago

will report back with my success!!!

#4 6 years ago

Just watch out for nipple placement. It had to be said

#5 6 years ago

The back side of the 4-LCD pcb, in the 11b has nipple holes!! Hah!

Nipple provision!

#6 6 years ago

The leads on the HS glass will be a little to short as they are glued directly to the circuit board. The other displays are on 1l2 standoffs. When I do this I cut the bad display off leaving the leads intact and splice the new display to the old leads.

#7 6 years ago

I'm down with that, sounds like it would be easier joining the legs from the pcb to the legs off the glass rather than wicking each pcb solder point.

Thanks for the tip.

Btw, are there any other more attainable and cheaper displays that are compatible?

Current pricing makes that Rottendog dis200 seem pretty tempting

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

I'm down with that, sounds like it would be easier joining the legs from the pcb to the legs off the glass rather than wicking each pcb solder point.

Hard to explain, but not that hard to do.

Quoted from trueno92:Btw, are there any other more attainable and cheaper displays that are compatible?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=538

#9 6 years ago

Anyone ever try a system 9 7-digit display?

I'm just noticing some numeric boards seem to have less pins that connct to the pcb.. Wondering if that's going to be an issue.. with hope the digits are drawn

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Anyone ever try a system 9 7-digit display?

Yes they will work also.

#11 6 years ago

Wow, ok how about those 7 digit displays with fewer legs? I see some that look like the attachment, but I see the driver boards look so different.

What I have is the checkmarked version. Are they cross compatible? (although I doubt it)

Screenshot_20171005-140629 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171005-140629 (resized).png

#12 6 years ago

Yes they are compatible, just last week I took both displays from a Hyper ball (same as your lower pic) and put them into my Pinbot to test (same as your upper pic) them and they worked correctly for the numeric displays. They just wont work for alpha numeric displays.

#13 6 years ago

ZOMG!!!!!!

WILL REPORT BACK FOR SURE!!

I guess the other legs are to control the displays for animations? Or those other things the newer games do?

Grumpy, did you notice?

#14 6 years ago

There are only so many segments in the displays and therefore only so many connections needed. I think those with additional leads were put there to just help hold the display more solidly on the board and there is no electrical connection. "Animations" are produced by the CPU turning display segments on / off in sequences.

#15 6 years ago

guys, this is really breakthrough news for those of us with display issues. I am new to the pin-world and the madness it brings, is this just old news?

I am curious if they would spend the time to solder each lead as a support and just not make a better plastic holder or something like that, but if it works the way it should I would be very grateful.

still really close to pulling the trigger on a Rottendog display, but so far if i can save some coin with just an individual display - id rather go that route in the short term.

Also made some other progress on my big guns! resoldered the drop target insert boards!

Screenshot_20171006-103012 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171006-103012 (resized).png

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Grumpy, did you notice?

No animations with only seven segments and a comma.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

No animations with only seven segments and a comma.

You don't consider the "rolling scroll" on games like HS to be an animation??

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Well maybe in very basic form. They could have done much more if they hadn't gone cheap and installed 4 alphanumeric.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

That's kinda what I'm talking about. Big guns does a bit with what they had using numerics for the lower displays, but I'm just hoping it can at least display
    Ball 1, never mind the targets and score scrolling - but that would be good too.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

That's kinda what I'm talking about. Big guns does a bit with what they had using numerics for the lower displays, but I'm just hoping it can at least display
    Ball 1, never mind the targets and score scrolling - but that would be good too.

If it displays (and it will according to GRUMPY so that's a yes) all the effects or animations or whatever you want to call them will work. There is nothing in any display glass that controls transitions or anything else. Each segment (or dot in the case of a DMD) is individually controlled by the Microprocessor to create whatever is being displayed at any given time.

#21 6 years ago

Ok, sounds good. Now to secure a display! Thanks for the pintech assistance!! Any other oddities to worry about?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Well maybe in very basic form. They could have done much more if they hadn't gone cheap and installed 4 alphanumeric.

4 numeric? i find alphanumeric animations pretty swanky.

1 week later
    #23 6 years ago

Guys, thanks for all your encouragement, the lesser pin displays work perfectly. My display board has NO original lcd boards, all of them have been replaced at some point.

BUT THEY ALL Work!!

Thanks again for all the encourement and knowledge!!

Screenshot_20171014-114125 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171014-114125 (resized).png

Screenshot_20171014-114146 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171014-114146 (resized).png

20171014_114411 (resized).png20171014_114411 (resized).png

#24 6 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-score-displays-11-11b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.