(Topic ID: 108195)

[System 11] Replacing Lamp Matrix TIP42's With MOSFETs

By UvulaBob

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

There's a System 11 bulletproofing thread that mentions replacing the TIP42 lamp matrix transistors with MOSFETs. There's even a link provided to the suggested ones to use. This is the same replacement as in Vid's System 6 bulletproofing thread, which also says that you can replace the 27 Ohm, 5W resistors with jumper wires. I did some asking around a few months ago, and while I don't recall getting 100 percent confirmation, all signs were that the same steps are done with System 11's as they are with System 6's. I went ahead and replaced the TIP42's with the appropriate MOSFETs, and replaced the resistors with jumper wires.

I plugged everything back into my Taxi, and immediately heard a pop as at least one pre-driver transistor pretty much exploded. I quickly turned everything off and pulled the board back out. I did some extensive tests with my DMM on diode mode and connectivity mode. I suspect that I was sloppy with my soldering work and had some dead shorts between two pads in each of two transistors. I pulled the damaged MOSFETs and pre-drivers out, and all the other transistors appears to have been unaffected. I'm assuming that this is because I only had a few of my lamps plugged in at the time.

Anyway, before I buy some replacement parts, I was wondering if anyone can tell me about anything else I might need to do for this mod, or what else I need to look out for. I'd hate to order parts, put em in, triple check my work, turn it on and have another part explode on me. Is this mod as simple as it seems (and I just screwed it up) or is there something I'm missing when doing it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-replacing-lamp-matrix-tip42s-with-mosfets?tu=UvulaBob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.