• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sw11.jpg
#1 8 years ago

hello,

i bought a fixer upper roller games and i cannot get the operator switch to work.
i switched out the actual switched, i figured liquid may have damaged them, but that didn't help.

any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

thanks,

m.

#2 8 years ago

You will be dealing with this section of the cabinet wiring diagram. First make sure that the coin door switch is open. You can simply disconnect the wire from this switch for now. This switch blocks the operator switches from accessing RAM when the coin door is closed. The operator switches "AUTO UP/Manual Down" and "Advance" do not go through the switch matrix, but are wired directly to the CPU...sort of. They have to go through three connectors to get there.

The first thing to do is to simulate switch operation right at 1J14 on the CPU board. Jumper pin 3 to pin 2 momentarily to simulate the action of the advance switch. Jumper pin 4 to 2 to simulate the auto-up switch. If these work at the CPU board, you'll then need to trace the white, blue and green wires back through the other connectors to find where the signals are getting lost.

sw11.jpgsw11.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Wayout, thank you for writing. I am away from the machine, working out of town from many months. I will be sure to apply your knowledge when I get back to it.

Thanks

Mike

#4 8 years ago

One easy thing to check if all three switches are not working -- make sure the connector between the cabinet and head is secure.

I have had this issue before after pulling and replacing the playfield.

1 week later
#5 8 years ago

I had some loose contacts at the board. I think that one of the switches may be broken.

3 years later
#6 5 years ago

I'm having a similar issue with these same switches in my William s Fire. Weird thing is it works the first time you press it (brings you to music test) but I can't move up or down from there. I tried shorting those pins together like mentioned above and nothing. What would be the next thing to check? Also when I boot the game it doesn't show the software version it just waits a second and then boots to attract mode. Could that issue be related to the coin door switch issue? Frustrating as the game plays great now but I can't make any adjustments. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

#8 5 years ago

I am think the MPU needs to see a pulse , a transition, from these switches. Your switch might be shorted all the time, which would explain why shorting the switch has no effect. Disconnect the switch connector at the MPU and try manually shorting at the connector, or get an oscilloscope on it. Honestly, this is a problem I have not specifically seen before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-operator-switch-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.