Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mtgedney
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Pinbot is my favorite pin and I finally landed one for a decent price. After getting it home I have a number of issues to resolve. I have been in the hobby for about two years and feel comfortable with Bally SS machine but this will be first dive in the Williams machines outside of a few battery circuit rebuilds in a Rollergames and Comet.

Forgive me, but I have not done a lot diagnostic work on the machine, but I have two main issues I am hoping someone here would guide into the right direction.

First, the bottom jet bumper will not fire. In fact, on occasion when turning the machine on, it will tell you with an adjust switch error. I went to the switch edge test and the switch will engage for a 10pt. The coil will not fire in self test. I am unable to manually engage the bumper. The shaft will not enter coil sleeve. I have not tried to force the coil to fire by grounding to drive transistor. If I cannot force it with my hands there is no since in doing that now.

I suspect I may have a dead fried coil and perhaps damage to the transistor and hopefully nothing further upstream. Hoping for some guidance from other pinsiders to assist in my diagnosis.

The other issues I have is the machine will shutdown during play and then enter attract mode. My guess is that perhaps the MPU is not getting consistent 5v from ps. Seems difficult to test as it doesn't do it all the time. Perhaps I should rebuild entire power supply anyway? All the components seem like originals.

Appreciate your help in advanced. I am so exciting to add this machine to the collection.

#2 7 years ago

you most defiantly have a bad coil, and bad Q transistor, got stuck on melted the coil, that why it won't pull in.

#3 7 years ago

Never replaced a pop bumper. Is it best to buy everything new?

#4 7 years ago

Prob not, just the coil and sleeve should do that. Transistor on MPU it tip102 and may have also taken out the predriver and IC but you can test them to be sure

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from mtgedney:

The other issues I have is the machine will shutdown during play and then enter attract mode. My guess is that perhaps the MPU is not getting consistent 5v from ps.

You may need to rebuild the power supply, but first check the slam switch under the play field and the one on the coin door. If you are nudging the pins and they are set too close the game will reset to attract mode.

Quoted from mtgedney:I am unable to manually engage the bumper. The shaft will not enter coil sleeve.

Check out Vids guide on rebuilding pop bumpers, its a must read for anyone.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mtgedney:

Never replaced a pop bumper. Is it best to buy everything new?

Definitely buy everything new. Frankly, I would fully rebuild all three. If one has worn enough to freeze, it's time to do them all. I myself once took a shortcut on my pops by only replacing visually worn pieces. It didn't last. All those parts accumulate teeny bits of wear which add up to enough unwanted movement to cause faulty operation and worse. In my case, the price I paid for my partial pop bumper rebuild was a stuck pop which fried a transistor on the mpu. Then I got to do the pop bumper job again (correctly, replacing everything) plus repair the mpu.

Definitely read Vid's guide to rebuilding pop bumpers and do a thorough job on all three.

#7 7 years ago

Congrats on the purchase. I'm restoring one myself and I'm done with the boards and playfield components. Everything works fine now so it's time to rip it all of and get things cleaned up.

I'll follow this thread and see how things work out for you. I think the inputs already given has set you off in the right direction. So I'm waiting to hear if your problems gets solved or new inputs are needed.

I've just taken off the bumpers and I see that they will not install easily when assembly time comes up. But I read through Vid's guide and one of the replies points to this alternative solution. I don't know how well it works, but I'm going to keep that in mind.
Link: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album08/pinball/tz.htm

Good luck!

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

I appreciate all the help guys. Rebuild power supply and getting consistent 5v to MPU. I bought the entire underside of the jet bumper new. I probably dig in and let you guys know what I find. I assume I'll need to replace transistor q75 at minimum as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-noob-help-me-realize-my-holy-grail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.