• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EAFFD2AC-7180-4C89-BF67-FD0EE2514FCF (resized).png
BFFDBD9B-3F19-4F50-BAE0-49C9C2EA2DEC (resized).jpeg

#1 5 months ago

To give a little back story, i was installing a nvram on a pinbot. While lifting the old ram i broke the (B) capacitor that sets to the side of the U25 ram chip. According to the prints this is a .01mf 50v +54 bypass capacitor. Not really sure what the difference is to a normal capacitor?
Anyway i stole the (B) capacitor from my working F14 board at the U4 chip and placed it on the pinbot.
As you can see in the photo i replaced the capacitor at U4 with a ceramic .01 mf. This is different from what was in there as u can see at the U5 chip. The rest of the board has what appears to be glass encapsulated capacitors. I have seen boards with both kinds.

Is there a difference?

And when i placed the board back into the backbox and started it up I am now getting a mem protect error.

Anyone have a idea of what went wrong?

BFFDBD9B-3F19-4F50-BAE0-49C9C2EA2DEC (resized).jpegEAFFD2AC-7180-4C89-BF67-FD0EE2514FCF (resized).png
#2 5 months ago

Simple "bypass" capacitor -- anything will work there.
Glass encapsulated versus conformal coated cap for a bypass capacitor was a matter of what was available when the board was made.

#3 5 months ago

So there would be no reason to find a glass cap to put in that spot? Only to keep it looking like the rest of the board.

#4 5 months ago

Yes. Just install a 10 nF capacitor and it will be OK.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside