Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5FC27157-A260-4A16-866B-8C1349384055 (resized).jpeg
D55CDD1C-CEDE-45D7-9FF7-4372220473EB (resized).jpeg
18A4C048-E389-4BF3-B319-8C73395DFAB6 (resized).jpeg
DD81E2A6-0DC0-47B6-9F4D-4A2250EDB5BD (resized).jpeg
2DFCEFB0-E051-4A17-AD4D-FBF06993F181 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago

Are you running the normal game roms in U26 and U27 when you have the sound test rom installed at U21? The game roms should be installed in U26 an U27 when running the sound test. However, you need to take the game sound rom out of U22 when you run the test.

The sound input signals at U9 pins 2 through 9 should not be active with the game roms installed. If the sound test rom is running, you should pulses going up and down on pins 10 through 17 of U9. They won't be fast pulses, it will cycle back and forth about every half second.

#9 2 years ago

It sounds like the sound section of your board is not booting. You can try to force it to reset by briefly grounding pin 40 of U24. If this works and you see strobing on pins 10 through 17 of U9, you know that the reset signal is not getting to the processor when the board boots. If it doesn't work, I would start working my way through the rest of the Leon's article on sound issues.

#12 2 years ago

What voltages are you providing to the board on the bench?

#14 2 years ago

U32 is a 74ls08, and consist of AND gates. You have to have high inputs at the 1 and 2 to have a high output at 3. However, I don't think U32 would keep the test rom from running.

You are correct, if that IRQ signal you posted came off of pin 4 of U24, that doesn't look right. I'd check the 1k SR upstream of it for cracks. It should be holding the signal high.

I asked about the voltages because of the speaker on your work bench. It won't work unless you are providing +12v and -12v as well +5v. The logic seciton of the sound chip should still work they way you have it setup. At this point, I would pull the roms off the board completely, and then check the data and address lines. Without the game roms installed, the CPU should start executing it's non operative instructions looking for a program to run, and all the data and address lines will strobe. If you don't see any activity at the CPU, then the processor may be bad. You can also check the data line and address lines for shorts that cause one of them to hang low. If the CPU, data lines and address lines all check out, then I would go looking at the chips that control the chip select (from memory, I think they are 139s).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-leon-sound-test?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.