Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11665887_10152881319275588_373512381_o.jpg
20150409_221108.jpg
20150331_222346.jpg
20150322_194148.jpg
20150322_194204.jpg
20150322_194213.jpg
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

No corrosion on audio board. Cleaned the rest on the mpu already and the machine plays. I also have signals to the audio board so I believe the prob less there

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

No corrosion on audio board.

I was referring to the MPU CPU sockets and EPROM socket. Sorry, should have been more specific.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

. I also have signals to the audio board so I believe the prob less there

That's not entirely true:
"On *some* system 11 games (mainly 11 & some 11A) some sound cues are generated on the CPU board, these leave the CPU board and are mixed with the other sound cues on the sound board, and then the mixed signal is returned to the CPU board to be amplified. On some other system 11 games (some 11A & 11B), the voices are generated on the CPU board, trucked over to the sound board and amplification and mixing happens there. Finally, on some 11 games (*all* 11C), absolutely nothing happens on the CPU board."

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That's not entirely true:
"On *some* system 11 games (mainly 11 & some 11A) some sound cues are generated on the CPU board, these leave the CPU board and are mixed with the other sound cues on the sound board, and then the mixed signal is returned to the CPU board to be amplified. On some other system 11 games (some 11A & 11B), the voices are generated on the CPU board, trucked over to the sound board and amplification and mixing happens there. Finally, on some 11 games (*all* 11C), absolutely nothing happens on the CPU board."

Agreed. That was my understanding, too, and why I suspect the problem to be on the Sound board, since I have voices and sound effects, but no music. I think the CPU is sending info. to the audio board (i have no dead pins on the 20-pin connector) but numerous dead pins on various chips on the audio board.

Here's what I've found so far, though I have yet to investigate further. I'm suspecting a bad chip somewhere is causing this, so I'm planning to look for common connections between them:

u4 processor dead pins: 8, 17, 19, 20, 22, 14, 15, 16
u16 dead pins: 4
u7: 1-4, 23, 24, 25
u5: 2, 3, 4, 23, 24, 10

On a related note, I did find that the speaker lug in the cabinet had come detached, and wonder whether it shorted to ground at some point and caused this issue. It was just floating in there when I found it.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Agreed. That was my understanding, too, and why I suspect the problem to be on the Sound board, since I have voices and sound effects, but no music. I think the CPU is sending info. to the audio board (i have no dead pins on the 20-pin connector) but numerous dead pins on various chips on the audio board.
Here's what I've found so far, though I have yet to investigate further. I'm suspecting a bad chip somewhere is causing this, so I'm planning to look for common connections between them:
u4 processor dead pins: 8, 17, 19, 20, 22, 14, 15, 16
u16 dead pins: 4
u7: 1-4, 23, 24, 25
u5: 2, 3, 4, 23, 24, 10
On a related note, I did find that the speaker lug in the cabinet had come detached, and wonder whether it shorted to ground at some point and caused this issue. It was just floating in there when I found it.

Shorting the speaker lead to ground could kill a final output amplifier, but it won't damage any logic circuits. Evidence that the final output is working: you have other sound effects.

What you need is someone with a Jokerz to assist by comparing your pin-to-pin findings. If you don't know this, many pins will often appear to be "dead" depending on the particular sound or music being played simply because that bit is sending a logical binary zero. Keep in mind that when comparison troubleshooting this way that that both machines would have to be in the same state to obtain a valid test (i.e. each machine placed in a specific music/sound effect test and then make the comparison)

If I had a Jokerz I could help you out this way. Maybe someone will step up for this.

#56 9 years ago

Wouldn't the pins be low vs. Totally dead?

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Wouldn't the pins be low vs. Totally dead?

No. Roughly 0VDC to 2VDC is typical (depending on the logic family) OVDC is a valid reading on a functional digital logic IC.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_3/10.html

#58 9 years ago

So how would someone troubleshoot this board if they didn't have a comparison? I was thinking that I could examine which pins are dead to determine which should, or shouldn't, be dead and then trace it back to one of the chips which should be outputting. I can't imaging all those pins as I found should be at 0v. Note that I conducted this test while a ball was in play so that the music "should" have been playing.

#59 9 years ago

One final question: It looks like some of the dead pins are addressing lines...shouldn't those always have some type of reading?

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

One final question: It looks like some of the dead pins are addressing lines...shouldn't those always have some type of reading?

I guess that would come down to bit rate and whether or not it needs to utilize all the address lines. If the audio is only running at 8-bit, it would only be using 1/2 of a 6802's address lines. I believe those Yamaha chips function at 8-bit.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

So how would someone troubleshoot this board if they didn't have a comparison? I was thinking that I could examine which pins are dead to determine which should, or shouldn't, be dead and then trace it back to one of the chips which should be outputting. I can't imaging all those pins as I found should be at 0v. Note that I conducted this test while a ball was in play so that the music "should" have been playing.

This one is going to be very difficult, as this board was so unique to this game, and there is next to nothing in the way of information out on the 'net on its theory of operation. I can't even find datasheets on most of the ICs you are looking at. The static ram 2064 has a datasheet out there, and of the pins you mentioned, one is N/C (no connection, thus not used) and the others I higher level address pins (A6, A7, A8, A9...) and so may not even be utilized.
Until you have some reliable information on what should be happening on that board, it is going to be next to impossible to troubleshoot.

#62 9 years ago

So I "think" I figured it out, but am not sure. I believe the problem is at U19. It is missing all signals at 9-15. It is the Digital-To-Analog Converter and is supposedly tested when you press the switch on the side of the CPU Board. Except...

I found that U21 had virtually no signal on any of its pins (11 was low, and that was it). Then I looked at U19 and found that pins 9-15 were totally dead. It "appears" these are the pins that feed U21.

The DAC chip is a YM3012....pinout here: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dlmain/Datasheets-8/DSA-151905.pdf

It looks like 9-15 are the outputs on this chip and that it serves as a bottleneck to all sounds coming from that board, except for sounds generated by the CPU (which seem to bypass that DAC) and leads directly to U21. I am getting something on pins 1-8 and 16 from that chip, but those look like primarily inputs.

I don't understand, then, how I am getting two tones (as I'm supposed to) when I press the CPU test button. One tone is louder than the other, but I presumed that was normal. I wonder if they are supposed to be the same or if there is a DAC on the CPU board that's tested instead of the DAC on the Sound Board. That would make sense if the CPU input is after the DAC on the sound board, which it appears to be based on the schematic.

#63 9 years ago

This sounds likely. Get a new one and pop it in, see what happens. $4 to see if you're right.

As for differing sound volumes, I'm going to assume both the mpu and sound board have sample eproms on them, and say it is probably the volume difference between the MPU samples being sent to the board and the soundboard sample generation. If it doesn't have a trimmer to mix levels where it sums the FM & sample channels together, then it is going to be whatever set values they used. Easy to adjust though, replacing either one of the resistors in the summing network with a slightly different set value, or wire a trimmer pot as a variable resistor in line that fits within the range of the original resistor value. There may be an even easier way than that, if I had the schematics, I could instruct you on how to do that. Get the FM synthesis working first though.

#64 9 years ago

Did you see the YM3012 somewhere online at $4? I find some on eBay for that price...or lower but they are in Hong Kong, China, etc...

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

or lower but they are in Hong Kong, China, etc...

Yeah, that is what I was referring to. Look and see if your Grand Lizard has this IC. Anything that uses Yamaha FM synthesis needs this companion D/A IC and will have it. They should be socketed.

#66 9 years ago

Unfortunately, no dice with any of my machines. LOL. Looks like they all use different DACs. Think I'll buy a higher-price one, then get a bunch from China for the future.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Think I'll buy a higher-price one, then get a bunch from China for the future.

Probably a safe bet. Buy the sure thing to get it going, then the crapshoot, nothing worst than replacing a broken part with a broken part. Those are the trickiest debugs there are. I test all ICs and transistors now before installing them.

#68 9 years ago

I just picked up a semi-working Gogar that I hope to bring back...and guess what - no sound! Lol. That'll be the third machine in the last few months where I've faced sound issues. It would almost be comical if it wasn't such a pain in the arse. I'm hoping the Gorgar is easier to deal with as it's probably a connector issue or something. No acid damage or whatnot on that machine, fortunately, as someone removed the battery before it could puke.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

I just picked up a semi-working Gogar that I hope to bring back...and guess what - no sound! Lol. That'll be the third machine in the last few months where I've faced sound issues. It would almost be comical if it wasn't such a pain in the arse. I'm hoping the Gorgar is easier to deal with as it's probably a connector issue or something. No acid damage or whatnot on that machine, fortunately, as someone removed the battery before it could puke.

That should be easy to fix though, well documented. Lemme know if you need any specialized ICs for it, I have all of them laying around here.

#70 9 years ago

Will do. Thanks for you help. Now just gotta wait for that DAC. I bought five, so get in touch if you ever need one.

1 week later
#71 9 years ago

So here's a quick summary as this machine still plays no music, though I do have voice effects:

CPU was it booting, repaired the acid damage and replaced key ICs. Machine now boots and plays well. Display is strong. I can play a game without issues.

I went through all basic steps as outlined in the guides including the sound test on the board and running the music test. I get a music test failed message and the machine plays no background music.

I replaced the processor on the sound boarding rewrote the rom. I can hear scratching from the speakers on certain pins when I touch them with the logic probe, so the volume control,etc is ruled out.

U19 is the digital to analog converter on the sound board. The inputs - first 7or 8 pins - all get either high, low or pulsing with machine in gameplay. I get almost nothing on the output side. The u19 DAC feeds a quad amplifier at u21. It seems both these chips are critical to sound as they are gateways the the rest of the circuit. The u21 shows life at the 12v inputs, but logic probe shows dead pins otherwise. I replaced the DAC with no change.

I am pretty darn frustrated now. It seems either something is pulling down the u19 or it's getting a bad signal that's preventing it from becoming active. Any thoughts? Could it be related to an issue on the CPU? Is there something that's supposed to signal the DAC to work?

The manual is here if anyone wants to take a look: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1308/Williams_1988_Jokerz_Schematics.pdf.

Audio board is page 79.

#72 9 years ago

Quietly bumping this one for the weekend crowd.

#73 9 years ago

check any caps that look suspect. There could also be a tantalum cap pulling that down. I had one on a fish tales board go the other day. Newer game but all games are victims to bad caps.

#74 9 years ago

Just check to see if the cap is open?

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Just check to see if the cap is open?

Or....shorted. I had no voices/effects on my F-14 Tomcat (also a Williams System 11) It had a shorted cap on the CPU board, and simply clipping one lead on the cap restored the sounds, until I could get a replacement. That said, I am not familiar enough with Jokers - but just letting you know that a cap open or shorted can be a problem.

1 month later
#76 8 years ago

Replace the board with a rottendog MPU.
I just replace mine due to the same problem + a display issue.

Popped in the new board (you can get them with or without ROMS) works like a champ.
No more battery worries either.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from seanocaster:

Replace the board with a rottendog MPU.
I just replace mine due to the same problem + a display issue.
Popped in the new board (you can get them with or without ROMS) works like a champ.
No more battery worries either.

Normally I'd say try and fix the MPU, but in this case that may be the best bet, that or a repaired original.

#78 8 years ago

I actually have an original jokerz cpu in perfect shape if interested. Never even been repaired. Your original has bad acid damage so I would swap in another unless you want to do MAJOR work! Would be a great learning board though. Its already destroyed so your not hurting anything by trying to fix it.
Good luck. Sound repairs suck...lol Just ask my haunted torpedo alley..

#79 8 years ago

I have two badly hacked up SYS11A MPUs if anyone is interested in them. $100 for both? One of them actually boots, but had some trace damage on U27 and has a few jumpered points, so I wouldn't trust it. One looks like someone took a screwdriver to the board in a fit of rage and needs the POR rebuilt. Both had alkaline leaking on them. I'll take pics if anyone is interested. I don't have time to play around with them.

1 week later
#80 8 years ago

I'm just chiming in to this thread as I have a nearly the identical set of symptoms with my Jokerz. I apologize if this is against pinside etiquite to post symptoms in an existing thread -- I don't mean to hijack the thread and can certainly start a new thread if that's better.

Here's what it sounds like when it starts up (I thought maybe a grounding issue?) https://goo.gl/photos/BTDfjZRtH2wtEmYq6

The game has a very loud hum (more than the standard notorious Jokerz humming, I think) and I notice a bunch of RF interference while I was filming using my phone: https://goo.gl/photos/1KuKjF9Pk7QX8rtm9

But the gist of the problem is that music simply doesn't play, in-game or in the music tests. I'm unsure if that's related to the loud hum or not.

I have reseated the rom on the sound board, and the other two sound roms on the CPU. No difference, but when I took a closer look at the CPU, I noticed a fair bit of what appears to be corrosion.

I also 2x checked the sound wiring bulletin and everything appears to be connected correctly.

However, when I unplug the connection 1J16 from 11J3 (Sound Input from CPU), I notice that there is no change in behavior. Sounds/speech still plays, but music still doesn't.

My concern is that the CPU isn't outputting the music due to the damage. I think my next step would be to try to clean up some of this?

11665887_10152881319275588_373512381_o.jpg11665887_10152881319275588_373512381_o.jpg

#81 8 years ago

JordanB, I cannot help much but I have a Jokerz with working sound and I can give you a point of reference: My boot up sounds just like yours up until the horn-fanfare. e.g. I hear the rising tone, the electronic thump, the hum. That is all there. However once mine is done booting I hear a single chime not a full fanfare like your machine.

I am definitely not a pin repair expert but the fact that your pin seems to be playing the wrong sound suggest to me the sound system isn't the problem but perhaps the CPU board, like you say.

#82 8 years ago

Oh thanks oohlou. I'm starting to suspect sound ROMS or board problems, but this is new territory for me.

)

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

No difference, but when I took a closer look at the CPU, I noticed a fair bit of what appears to be corrosion.

Yeah, that's actually quite a lot of corrosion that appears to be in an advanced state. If it has migrated into those IC legs, it can easily damage the fine connections inside. If you don't have problems now, you likely will in the future.

#84 8 years ago

Agreed. That board needs a gut job.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-got-diagnostic-led-blinking-but-no-5v-led/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.