• Latest reply 4 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191030_205415 (1) (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

The flippers on my Whirlwind are a bit weak. I ordered a flipper rebuild kit, and am having some issues. Pictured is the right flipper. After installing the new pieces to include the new switches and giant yellow (resistors?) my right flipper is having some weird symptoms that I've heard before, but can't remember where. The flipper is really weak at the beginning, but strong at the top. It will barely move the ball when the flipper is first pressed, but near the top the flipper is really strong and hard to move. What do I need to adjust to fix this? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

20191030_205415 (1) (resized).jpg20191030_205415 (1) (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

giant yellow (resistors?)

Capacitor to reduce spark.

It will barely move the ball when the flipper is first pressed, but near the top the flipper is really strong and hard to move.

Got it wired right ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Double check your wiring. Sounds like the strong and hold wires are soldered to the wrong lugs (?) Verify this before turning on the machine again. Don't risk frying the coil or worse.

#4 4 years ago

So did you de-solder the coil from the wires to remove the mech and rebuild on the bench? No offense, but I am not liking the looks of that solder job on the EOS switch. Also don't like the way the EOS switch is bent where the blue and capacitor wire are attached. (may not hurt anything though)

My guess is a super cold solder joint somewhere that is not conducting well or at all.
I also hate conical springs. But again, that shouldn't hurt.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 4 years ago

Inspect the new EOS switch. Sometimes they have a film on the contacts that need to be cleaned (alcohol works). When the switches are new, they might look like they're making good contact, but they aren't.

You can briefly test with an alligator clip across the eos, flipper should fire at full strength. You can also hold down the flipper switch and squeeze the eos together to see if the flipper behavior changes.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Inspect the new EOS switch. Sometimes they have a film on the contacts that need to be cleaned

This. It happened to me a couple of times before I figured that out.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks guys! It was 100% either a new EOS switch with a film on it (I cleaned them) and/or EOS adjustment. In the process of doing this I somehow blew a fuse, but after more adjustments everything is working perfectly. WOW! Rebuilt flippers make a huge difference and I can now hit the main ramp off a rebound. Rebuilt flippers + new rubbers + increased pitch = lightning fast game.

Thanks!

#8 4 years ago

I somehow blew a fuse

Were you adjusting the EOS with the game on? Eek.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-flipper-rebuild-question-what-am-i-doing-wrong-photo-insid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.