Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by kilmarnock1350
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all. Working on an F14 and I suspect that either the power supply to the coils or 'something' is causing "weakness".

Most of the coils, slings, kickback, ejects, pop bumper are weak. The flippers don't seem too bad, but they are definitely not as snappy as my T2 which has the same 11630s.

How do I check the power going/available to the coils? I understand PS caps may need replaced.

DMM on the coils read zero until you activate, but you don't get a full reading... what do I ground the DMM to for an accurate reading. Understand the coils are 50V AC for Flippers? Not sure about the remaining coils?

Any info is appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Check power supplies in the backbox first:
For solenoid power to coils check PS 3J3 pins 6,7,8 for +32 to +35 VDC. You can grab ground at the board mounting screw conductive pads.
For flipper power check 15J3 (flipper power supply board) pins 1,2,5,6 for +65 to +75 VDC nominal. Flipper ground is 15J2 pins 7,8,9

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Check power supplies in the backbox first:
For solenoid power to coils check PS 3J3 pins 6,7,8 for +32 to +35 VDC. You can grab ground at the board mounting screw conductive pads.
For flipper power check 15J3 (flipper power supply board) pins 1,2,5,6 for +65 to +75 VDC nominal. Flipper ground is 15J2 pins 7,8,9

Thanks for the reply!

For the solenoid pwr I get 41 volts at pins 6,7,8... when I put the machine in coil test (Left Sling), every time the coil fires it goes to 33-38 different readout each time, I understand the DMM can't keep up with the actual voltage 100%.

Is this type of drop normal or is this sign of a bad capacitor?

Thanks for any info.

#4 3 years ago

Well, a voltage drop of some degree is probably normal. What you are might be experiencing is a lack of current. A hard failure is a bit easier to diagnose than a slightly sagging supply. What you do know is overall all solenoids from the supply seem weak. The supply for the solenoids originates from an off board bridge and travels to the PS board for a fuse and a couple of smoothing caps before splitting off to go to all the solenoids from 3J3. You might try replacing those caps C5 and C6. First also make certain that the fuse and holder F2 is perfect, and the incoming supply 3J1 connector is perfect.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

ou might try replacing those caps C5 and C6

I haven't found a decoder of what c5 and c6 are...?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside