You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

schematic.jpg
layout.jpg
PXL_20210605_214205229~2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210605_214157436.MP (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystman12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a Big Guns, and a couple of months ago the center drop on the right bank stopped registering. It works occasionally, but most of the time it just won't register. This is both in-game and in the switch test. I recently swapped the board with the drop target board on the left, and the issue moved with it to the left center drop, so I know the issue is with the board itself and not the cables or anything like that.

I've tried reheating the connector pins on the board and the center opto component, but that hasn't made any difference. I'm not really sure where else I could try, although I did notice an inconsistency while probing the board with a multimeter. I don't know much about electronics so I don't really know what I should be looking for, but I do know that an inconsistency can be a sign of an issue.

Basically, while probing the board, I noticed one component measured about 21 for the left and right drops, but 26 for the center. I've included a pic of the component that measured differently circled, as well as a photo of the settings I was using on my multimeter.

Should I replace the component, and if so, where can I find a replacement?

PXL_20210605_214205229~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210605_214205229~2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210605_214157436.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210605_214157436.MP (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

What are the headers? I've already reheated the connector pins for both plugs if that's what those are.

#5 2 years ago

Okay yeah, I already reheated those. Didn't make any difference. The plugs did fit a bit more tightly after doing so, but otherwise the issue still persists, and is still intermittent.

#6 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the circled component is? I'd like to try replacing it, but there's no assembly info for this board in my manual. If it doesn't fix the problem, then I'll probably just buy a new board, but since I can probably buy that component for super cheap I figure it's worth a shot.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Before you replace any parts, clean all three optos using a Q-tip and alcohol. Then reinstall, get into switch test, then wiggle the female connectors on the board to see if any switches trigger.
Those boards are pretty simple and tend to be mostly bulletproof. Try the simple things first before you replace any parts.

Thanks, but I've already tried those things as well. The issue definitely seems to be a bit more complicated.

#11 2 years ago

Well, now I'm not really sure what to do. I received the new resistors I ordered but upon probing the board again all three resistors now measure at about the same value, 27k, which is what they should be according to the manual (The center one measures at 26.9k but that's still close enough right?). I have no idea how I got 21k on the left and right resistors the first time I probed the board. I'm kind of tempted to go ahead and swap the resistors anyways now that I have extras, but I really don't think it would help. Does anyone have any more ideas I should try before I just buy a new board?

1 week later
#14 2 years ago

Got it working by replacing the opto component on the opto board!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 22.50
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystman12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-drop-target-board-not-working?tu=mystman12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.