Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acid top (resized).JPG
acid bottom (resized).JPG
Acid Damage (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WonderMellon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just picked up a High Speed. It has been sitting for quite a while and was very well loved/used during it's lifetime. Went to power it on and only get speaker hum and some GI lighting. There is some definite acide damage at the battery holder. At least 3 of the connectors corroded off. I don't see much downstream damage, but I also may not have the experience to notice all but the worst.

After some forum searches and some poking around on techniek.flipperwinkel.nl, I did a few tests.

All the fuses test good.

Power Supply Test Points:
1 = 9.4 v
2 = Ground
3 = 11.28 v
4 = -14.7v

MPU
TP 1 = Ground
TP 2 = 9.4 v
Pin 8 on UU15 - 8.9v

It looks like the PS is putting out too much power on TP1 and TP4, while slightly low at TP3.

I get no lights on the MPU at all. Since the game is only a few hours old to me, I haven't pulled the MPU and checked to see if supplying the correct 5v will power it on.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get the PS to supply the correct voltage. My experience has been mostly going from 0v to the correct voltage after replacing caps or such. Bringing down voltage is new to me.

Is there a way to tell if overpowering the MPU has blown something?

I am learning, but still very much a novice. Please don't assume I have done something obvious, as I may not know about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Acid Damage (resized).JPGAcid Damage (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies.

No worries about testing more, I wasn't planning on turning it on again. Looks like I will need to get a cap kit for the PS and a remote battery holder. Anything else I should pickup while I am ordering things to replace?

JR99svt, I am not sure if that is acid or dust either. My assumption was dust. It sure looks like dust on the caps (?) above the battery holder. If I take a few swipes with a soft brush and it comes off, would that indicate dust instead of acid? Does acid really travel up against gravity? Is there a way to test L2 to see if it is bad?

I'll post back when I get the it attached to 5V to see if I get any sign of life. Right now I am worried this may be beyond my skills.

#6 5 years ago

OK, Good News/Bad News

The good news is that when I removed the board and applied 5V, 12V and Ground to the J17 pins, the LED display gave me a big fat 0. Pressing the CPU switch changed it to an 8 for about 2 seconds, then went back to a 0. Based on my newly acquired limited knowledge that seems good.

The bad news. It looks like the battery corrosion indeed moved up instead of down. I removed the battery holder and, while it looks like mold, I am sure it is corrosion. The back of the board doesn't look too bad, but the front seems pretty bad. The resistor packs look like they have started corroding at the bottom as well. Is this something I can remedy myself?

acid top (resized).JPGacid top (resized).JPGacid bottom (resized).JPGacid bottom (resized).JPG
#8 5 years ago

Wh97ac,
What do you mean?

#10 5 years ago

Ah! Got ya. Thanks.

Ordering replacements.

Looking at the power supply now. Hoping replacing the caps get the voltages under control. They are too high right now.

1 week later
#11 5 years ago

Trying to work my way through troubleshooting from start to finish. That means power supply first.

I purchased a cap kit and replaced all the caps. That brought back my 100V (which I didn't find out I was missing until later) but is did not help my other readings. The next suspect was the transformer on the heat sink. Replaced that and I am still too high. Now I get

1 = 8v
2 = Ground
3 = 22 v
4 = -14v

The low voltage section is not that complex and I have now replaced almost all of the items. I am at a loss of where to search next. If a voltage was out, I could try to find bad resistor or cap. Any thoughts on what I should replace or what I can test to see where the out of whack voltage is coming?

#13 5 years ago

I have spent the past hour testing and measuring. After retesting, I think my replacement transistor may be suspect (It was a used one and I "assumed" it was good). Here is my latest information

I tested from the C, E, B points under the power supply. With the original transistor I am getting
C = 13
E = 13
B = 0

Give me 13V at test point1

With my replacement, I am getting
C = 13
E = 0
B = 0

Gives me 0V at test point 1

Testing the bridge rectifier gives me 14V at the + and -14 at the negative.

Would you be able to confirm that the correct values of the transistor should be
C = ~12
E = 5
B = ??? (I am assuming 0 for ground)

I am very new to schematics, but it looks like the Emitter of the transistor is what is supposed to provide the 5V.

I have brand new transistors in route, but won't get them until Monday or so.

Thanks for your help.

#16 5 years ago

I took a few minutes to remeasure before I left for work. It looks like the pad on the front of the board does not allow enough connection for the DMM probe on the base line so it just read 0. I turned the board over and measured from the pins on the back.

Here are the voltages:

IC pin 10 = 13v
IC pin 11 = 26v
IC in 12 = 26v

C = 13
E = 12
B = 13

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WonderMellon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-dead-mpu-amp-high-power-supply?tu=WonderMellon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.