• Latest reply 1 year ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4046 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I am stumped. Have a coil that locks on immediately at power up. Solenoid 05A, lower right eject hole. If I disconnect J11 on the MPU the coil does not energize, so I assumed the problem was on the MPU, not a wiring issue. I replaced the TIP122 and predrive transistor 2N4401 associated with that solenoid (even though they tested good on the bench). I tested the associated diodes for that solenoid on the auxillary driver board and they test good (with J4 the auxiliary driver board disconnected). I tested U19 on the MPU per the wiki test instructions and it appears good. What am I missing? Should I change U19 or is there something else I should be testing?

#2 1 year ago

Did you check the ground wire and make sure it’s not smashed in somewhere causing a short? It’s possible for it to be a wiring issue and not a board issue. Follow the ground wire for that solenoid all the way back to the board.

#3 1 year ago

deleted....doing more testing.

#4 1 year ago

Game boots and starts ok, but several solenoids are not working. 1A, 2A, 4A, and 6A. Some of the A side coils are working, so I am ruling out the A/C relay.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Did you check the ground wire and make sure it’s not smashed in somewhere causing a short?

I haven't found any shorts.

#6 1 year ago

Did you use a multimeter or a logic probe to test U19? I’m also dealing with a system 11 giving me trouble with All of the A side coils. I found a fuse under the playfield at the far left back side hidden under thick wires that was blown. I haven’t put a new one in but that is definitely connected to my problems and may be connected to yours

#7 1 year ago

I used a DMM to test U17, 18, 19, and U20. I also used a logic probe but didn't make sense of the results.
I'm finding all sorts of things not working right. Still probing and searching for help. Now I found a coil that is getting hot after a minute, but it ohms out good. Could this be a bad TIP?

#8 1 year ago

Found the A/C relay on driver board with burnt contact and warped leaf. Going to replace it. That may only be part of the problem.

IMG_4046 (resized).JPGIMG_4046 (resized).JPG
#9 1 year ago

Replaced the bad relay. Still have several coils lock on (knocker and lower right eject hole) when there is no ball in outhole. If I put 2 balls in the trough (past the outhole), then the outhole locks on too. Weird.

I have replaced the TIP122's and predrivers associated with the coils that lock on. No change.

If I remove J11 on the MPU, then the coils do not energize (lock on).

I replaced the 7408 associated with the locked on coils. No change.

Is my next step to replace U28 or the PIA?

#10 1 year ago

Solved. Replaced U28.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-coil-locks-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.