IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0265 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8133 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8135 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 11 years ago

I currently have
Diner (sample game)
Diner (production game)
Bad Cats
Earthshaker

had in the past
Dr. Dude (sold 2012 on CL)
Dr. Dude (sold at the TPF 2013)
Bad Cats (went to my brother)
Bad Cats (sold to the Pinball museum in Hockley, TX)

If I could get some room, would like to get
Black Knight 2000
Taxi

1 year later
#715 9 years ago

19 months later, I had sold my duplicate games. System 11 is the fun era. No ball save here!!!

Now only have.
Earthshaker
Diner (being restored)
Bad Cats (waiting on that CPR playfield)
Black Knight 2000 (getting shopped out--need a backglass, please help!)

8 months later
#1138 8 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Looking to put a nvram in my Rollergames and I'm a little overwhelmed at the different options out there. Any suggestions?

I installed the 6264 NVRAM from www.pinitech.com. Cutout or desoldering the old RAM is required on these boards and then you.need to add an IC socket to install it in. Works great with all system 11 B and 11C games. The other alternative would be to use lithium AAA batteries. Just make sure you don't buy the rechargeables. Lithium batteries will last at least 5 years and will not leak

5 months later
#1377 8 years ago

Good news for the Jokerz owners. New plastic sets are now available.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1006-567&Store_Code=PP

#1378 8 years ago

Silvercoin, Did the issue start with the flashers after doing any repairs?

You will need to look to see if you have a burnt J6 (far right) connector on the interconnect board for your right side GI being out.

4 months later
#1472 7 years ago

Traded my Freddy for a Taxi project on Tuesday that included everything I need..CPR playfield and backglass, new blue Spin out ramp, both new ramps, plastic set, and topper.
This now makes 5 System 11 games I have.
Earthshaker and BK2K...work. Now I have 3 projects to get working on....Bad Cats, Diner and now Taxi.taxi_1.pngtaxi_1.png

taxi_2_(resized).pngtaxi_2_(resized).png

2 weeks later
#1479 7 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Hello,
I am late to the party. I picked up my second System 11 with a Rollergames this week for $1600. Man was I missing out, as usual. Lots of fun. Its a whole new world of pins I have yet to enjoy. Life is good....

No pictures?

1 week later
#1487 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

Just wondering if anyone could point a noobie in the right direction. I'm having an issue with my display where the first digit of the top and bottom left side is light up for no reason. The bottom one only lights up when there is text in the bottom display but the top one is always light up.

Can you post a picture of your MPU board just above and below the battery pack?

If you do not have any damage, try reseating the ribbon cable on the display and to where it plugs in at the MPU board.

1 week later
#1502 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

Sorry it took a bit extra to post pics I was working out of town.

Glad to see there is not any battery acid damage. I see you posted a new System 11 Display issue thread. I would definitely follow ChrisHibler's instructions. Reseating the ribbon cable at the MPU and at the display did not do any good?

4 weeks later
#1522 7 years ago
Quoted from Silvercoin:

So can I assume all System 11B machines will have the same color coding on their inter-connect plugs?
If thats the case, I need some pix of the connectors that plug into the Master interconnect PCB..
Could I get pics of plugs J9, J7, and J6? mine look like hacked crapola!
Thanks! This will help with repairs!!

Wow. That interconnect board looks toasted. You have a long red wire running from J6 to a fuse, just above J7 that "fixes" a heavily burnt trace. I would suggest buying another board since J6 will be difficult to repair without adding wires and still be reliable. If you choose to repair it, I would shorten the length of the wire and run it on the backside of the board. Though, you likely have internal board problems which is why it burnt so badly.

So you can look for a replacement D-12313-xxxx board, where xxxx is the configuration of the resistors/jumpers on the 'W' locations. I see one on Ebay for $50 that was in very nice condition recently. At one time, Marco had new replacement boards, but I think they were about $120, but at least they came already configured for what ever game you needed it for.

#1526 7 years ago
Quoted from Silvercoin:

Ug, Well.. I have parts on the way to fix it, I guess once its off the machine I can really see whats going on.
I'd still like pics if thats possible?

Here is one on Ebay that burnt and wires were ran to fix the damaged traces. It may not be much better than yours once you remove it and see the back side of the board.
ebay.com link: Williams System 11 Interconnect board D 12313 574 5768 12332 00

What game is this from?

2 months later
#1557 7 years ago
Quoted from Tropicalcats:

Anybody know the size of the Molex and pins for the transformer ? Need to replace mine haveing trouble with general illumination. What's a good source for the connectors and pins?

How does your J6 (far right connector) on your interconnect board? Is it burnt?

#1562 7 years ago

Just looked at J6 not seeing any sign of burning/tarnish

Then it seems the one at the transformer is all you need to repair. Rarely, I see that one as the issue, but it does happen.

3 weeks later
#1566 7 years ago

I am replacing the GI molex connector and pins from the transformer with new. I am sure I have a bad connection at that point cause if I wiggle it my GI lights come on.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Then it seems the one at the transformer is all you need to repair. Rarely, I see that one as the issue, but it does happen.

How difficult is it to replace the j 6 connector?

Pretty tough. Since you stated J6 looks good, don't touch it.

#1568 7 years ago

Got the Molex at the transfomer changed over and I have my GI lights back on. It looks great!

Awesome. You found the issue at the transformer yourself. Let's see that playfield and backbox lit up. Pictures!!! This thread needs more pictures!!

1 month later
#1590 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Watch out, pinball machines breed like rabbits! We all started with one.
Clive at coin op cauldren does top notch board work.

http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/brepairs.html

#1591 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Watch out, pinball machines breed like rabbits! We all started with one.

I hear that. After having TZ for only 10 months, I decided to buy my 2nd pin. At which time when the 2nd was delivered via NAVL, I then had 3 total. That was a mere 8 years ago when I bought TZ. I now have a small collection of 37. I am trying to downsize. Seriously, I am trying!!

#1595 7 years ago
Quoted from foobeer:

Thanks for the recommendation and warning about the nature of pinball machines. I have already started to feel the bug and planning out my future collection. Also planning out the conversations I will need to have with the wife.

Woah...awesome!

Not too awesome when 17 are projects though that need to be worked on. Projects can multiply fast too.

8 months later
#1791 6 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Hi guys. Has anyone experienced symptoms like this on a sys 11? I'm in the throws of purchasing a Banzai Run and the seller has had issues tonight.
Hi Gaz
Banzai has a start up issue, I went to start packing it today and I had to turn it ON/OFF then ON again to get it to boot up. It did this when I first bought the machine back in January but went away after a couple of weeks and it's been tip top ever since. Behaviour wise it always boots up on the second switch ON and seems to stay like this for a while and has always played perfectly.
UPDATE: Went back into pin room just now after leaving it off for an hour and started up slightly differently and now flippers and kickouts are really sluggish.
Any suggestions much appreciated guys.
Thanks in advance
Gaz

I would start with checking all the voltages in the game. Can you post a picture of the MPU board, which I hope does not have any battery corrosion.

#1797 6 years ago

I would start with checking all the voltages in the game. Can you post a picture of the MPU board, which I hope does not have any battery corrosion.

We would learn a lot just from these 2 items. Measuring the voltages and knowing they are in spec or not, keeps you from having to swap. In order to repair the board, still would need to know what voltage is causing the problem so the least amount of parts get replaced fixing the issue.

Depending on if, where, and how much battery corrosion there is, will depend on whether you want to tackle this potential amount of huge repair work, send it out for repair or replace the board.

#1805 6 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Haha. Yeah, I can to an extent!!! Like very basic!!
It's no biggie. He will pay for any repair just a ball ache to send off. I'd at least like to narrow it down to a board

This was directed toward some of your questions.

We would learn a lot just from these 2 items. Measuring the voltages and knowing they are in spec or not, keeps you from having to swap. In order to repair the board, still would need to know what voltage is causing the problem so the least amount of parts get replaced fixing the issue.
Depending on if, where, and how much battery corrosion there is, will depend on whether you want to tackle this potential amount of huge repair work, send it out for repair or replace the board.

Have you even seen a picture of the MPU board to know if it is even battery corrosion free?

Once you get the game, it will be best for you to start a new thread.
We are here to help, so might as well get your DMM handy and buy a logic probe if you don't have one now.

2 months later
#1880 6 years ago

Since when is DM a System 11 game?

4 months later
#2163 5 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I've been getting intermittent game resets (especially during multiball) on Whirlwind. I've been down this road before with a WPC game, WH2O.
Diodes have all been checked on the flippers - all good.
Found a suspect on the Aux Power Board (see picture). Hmmm...
Not going to mess around and just shotgun the usual suspects for replacements using vid1900 and schwaggs System 11 guides.
Off to Great Plains to load up on rebuild parts for the power boards (caps, transistors, resistors, zeners, plugs and headers, fuses, etc. & a couple of heat sinks thrown in for good measure).

And you need to measure 5v and 12v on the power supply, which could be low. I suggest replacing all the capacitors on the power supply as they tend to leak and cause resets and other issues depending on which one fails.

2 weeks later
#2168 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Hello! I am a new member of this club by picking up a Banzai Run. I have not read through this thread yet but am looking for repair info to get it working 100%. I just ordered TOP # 7 from Clay and am also looking for the System 11 repair guide. I know it is NLA but checking if anyone can point me in direction to purchase a copy.
Thanks in advance.

Congrats. Just start a new repair thread and Pinside shall help.

Best thing is to upgrade to NVRAM to get rid of batteries and then change all the capacitors on the power supply as a start.

Here is a general guide.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11

2 months later
#2280 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

pacmanretro I recently got an 11A board on eBay for $75 shipped. Haven't dug into it to see what repairs are necessary yet though.

Ones I had seen on there lately have a lot of battery leakage/corrosion that need to be dealt with. White residue on the board is a good indication of this.

#2307 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

All, I just picked up a Millionaire. It is having switch matrix issues. If I disconnect to the connectors that are for the switches (J8 and J10), a LOT of the switches (according to the MPU) still open and close very fast. I already replaced U38, which didn't change anything. anyone have any idea as to the possible culprit?

Cab you post a picture of your MPU board? I have a MPU board I am working on that has a lot of switch errors and it is because it has a ton of battery corrosion (white chalky residue) that needs to be dealt with.

#2316 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Board looks good. [quoted image]

That is awesome. I would cut off the battery holder to keep anyone from installing batteries since the board has NVRAM installed.

#2321 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

A friend has a System 11a Fire! that has no sound. It has a 11581 sound board. Can I install it in my System 11b Bad Cats, also a 11581, to see if it is a sound board issue or a MPU issue? I don't know if they are populated the same.
Thanks in advance.

No background music and no switch sounds either? Can you post a picture of your MPU? Any battery alkaline damage?

Try reseating the small ribbon cable at the MPU and at the sound board to see if it makes a difference. Also check for a loose connection at all the speakers. I hope he already knows where the volume control is in the cabinet, which I would crank on it both directions with power off a few times to see if that helps.

2 weeks later
#2397 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Opinion question is...do you guys think I should replace the rest of the original IC sockets right off the bat, or give originals a shot with new chips first??

Try the original IC sockets first. If the game boots up with them, then they are good.

3 weeks later
#2427 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

the pads and some traces are darker than their surroundings. Is this something that is going to continue to degrade? Is there something I should do other than sucking the solder and replacing components / sockets?

The dark traces/pads is the alkaline under the green solder mask attacking the copper traces. If you try and apply any heat to the top side of the board, it will eat up those traces/pads. As Terry's guide mentions, sanding the traces to the bare copper is next and then treat it with vinegar and follow with cleaning with alcohol. Then you will be safe to be able to solder on the top side of the board.

#2434 5 years ago

Yes, that looks good.

Coating the traces would be ideal with finger nail polish or actual conformal board coating up to the pads so that it would seal it and help protect from accidental shorts or damage to the traces if you were to slip while troubleshooting in the future with a meter or logic probe while power is on.

Order a new C30 as well. Life expectancy is very near its end and can cause random boot failures.

#2439 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Can anyone give me an estimate for buying a coin door for a Pinbot? I want to have an idea before posting a want ad. Something in need of resto is fine.

I don't think you have to put a price on a WTB ad.

#2442 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Working on MPU and realized new header pins I ordered are round style, not the square type with 4 flat sides...
Should I hold off and order the square ones?
Wasn't sure of difference....though I'm sure there is a discussion thread on it somewhere already; just didnt see it.

Well, the square pins would make much better contact because there will be more surface area to connect to. I would wait for the new ones.

#2443 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Yeah, I just don't want to be the guy who puts up a want ad but can't afford it.

Well, you can make an offer to them once you get a reply if it sounds out of reach for you. No harm. You don't have to take the first one that comes along.

What is wrong with your coin door you have now?

#2447 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Has anyone used a 2n5550 in place of a 2n3904? I have a large bag of 2n5550's and 2n4403's but pinbot 11a board is calling for 2n3904's
Another spot is calling for 2n6427's so I trying to figure out if one of those will work in there. I have very limited knowledge of transistors. Any help is appteciated.

I'll have to say no. They have different characteristics and not compatible.

1 week later
#2466 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I Have a System 11b CPU/Driver board from my Bad Cats that worked great for ten years before some old alkaline battery damage took out the sound section. Trying to get an idea as to what this thing might be worth.
Thanks,
Alan

Likely it had damaged U41 and/or U42 and/or any of the yellow SRC parts above the battery pack holder.

#2468 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Definitely, I can see damage on U41 and SRC 2 and 5. This board should be repaired by an experienced tech. Need a value in it's current condition.

As is value is tough to put on it, especially without a picture. Some boards are more damaged than others. I like having spare boards so I suggest asking ChrisHibler for a repair estimate. I repair my own, even as time consuming as it is sometimes but it worth having an original board.

1 month later
#2492 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

As I understand it, electrolytic capacitors have limited lifespan of around 20 years so replacement would seem to me to make sense. So my question is - is there a reason not to replace them?

No reason not to, but the smaller capacitors are more prone to leak sooner. Here is what Great Plains Electronics suggests for 11B and 11C power supplies. It is never a problem upping the voltage rating on a new capacitor.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W12246-PEC-KIT

1 month later
#2538 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

After replacing C30 on Diner to fix my display not showing anything and causing the game not to boot, the issue is back. It's only been a few months. I ordered 5 of those caps, so I could replace it again, but could that really be the issue? Is there another part of the display reset circuit that might also need to be looked at?

Describe what the 3 red LEDs on the MPU are doing.

Did you replace the capacitors on the power supply?
Can you measure the voltages on the power supply?

Can you post a picture of the power supply and the MPU?

#2557 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I'm certain it has a system 11 sound board though. May be why people think it's a system 11.

I think it is because of the speaker panel being the same as EATPM.

#2585 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Still need to get my system 11 Riverboat gambler to boot Checked all fuses now need to get motivated to start checking next area.....connectors on pcb?

Battery corrosion is my first guess. Can you post a picture of the MPU board?

As kermit24 mentioned, I hope you just have a 5v problem.

#2588 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

will do...I have all other voltages except 5v....I need to see why it not getting 5v to power supply board. It s a new rottendog PS and all other test point voltages look good.[quoted image][quoted image]

MPU board looks great. Though, I would go NVRAM as I had done with my whole collection, where possible.

I'm not a fan of the Rottendog PS, but I believe they have a lifetime warranty. Though, if you just bought it from a resale shop, there should be a warranty through them.

What is wrong with the original Williams power supply?

#2591 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Is it difficult to drop a NVRAM in a system 11? I did one on my Sega and it was literally plug and play. But others are not so easy. I haven’t gotten around yet to check. Thanks for the help.

Desoldering of the old RAM and soldering of the new IC socket for the NVRAM would be needed. 6116 NVRAM will be fairly easy to install if you have the soldering skills

#2594 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Its A friends game and he just bought it this way. dead and no boot. So dont know the history. If I had a norigial PS I would swap and see if its the issue.

The original power supply creates the 5v from the 12v. I believe the Rottendog power board does as well. I would like to see a picture of the board to see if something burned. I cannot get to the schematic, so you may have to email Rottendog for help.

#2600 5 years ago

@billsfanmd, If 12v and -12v test good, looks like I would change U3 - MC34167

Either from https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/MC34167TVG?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtqO%252bWUGLBzeHjEr4HqwwtH

or
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=MC34167TVG&sprice=&stype=&scat=

Are C1 and C3 are puffed up? If so, I would replace the 100uf with high voltage ones. This is for the 100 and -100v for the display.

#2601 5 years ago

Thank you for the link.

#2603 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Still trying to see easy stuff first....Keep thinking connector since at power on I get nothing. No GI. boot or leds on MPU. But on Rottendog the 12v. -12v and 100 test good. If I can find a local PS to swap that would be great.

+12v turns into +5v via the (U3) MC34167 part. The Rottendog board is easily damaged so have to take some care removing it out of the board.

No +5v = no boot

I prefer an original power supply over a Rottendog one.

#2605 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

So if I am getting 12v on rottendog. Then the board is bad since the board makes the 5v?

Correct. A power supply will convert/supply/generate the voltages needed to other parts of the game.

You can send it out for repair. If you do, I suggest having NVRAM installed on the MPU to get rid of the batteries.

5 months later
#2795 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Anyone have a spare display for sys11c
My diner display may just be on her last leg,

Can you post a picture of what yours is doing?

#2797 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

I can in the morning, but basically previous owner did a repair that hasnt aged well, the top display doesn't work and has acid damage on the solder points, the bottom does work but has enough garbage mixed in the you can't always tell what's displayed, I can likely fix that, but I don't have much hope for the top display, I don't think it's gassed , rather the board itself

Well, there would not be any acid damage. If alkaline batteries did leak and spray fumes on the display board, it really is alkali that would have done the damage.

If there is a brown residue that is only on the solder pins of the glass display at the board, that would be solder flux. It is pretty common to see that on display assemblies where someone changed it out and did not bother cleaning it.

Garbage on a display can even be from a ribbon cable, so try and reseat both ends of the ribbon cable. If that does not help, you can even have the MPU at fault, especially if U41 has battery alkali damage.

You can swap the MPU, between the Fire, but you need to swap the 2 game ROMs with it because the displays are different between the 2 games. You can do that just as a test. The 11B Fire MPU is fully compatible in Diner. The 11C Diner MPU will function except for speech if you put it in Fire because it lacks the speech section that is needed in Fire.

#2799 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

I misspoke about the acid damage, thanks for the correction, the flux residue is what clued me in to the repair, my Fire didn't have an mpu when purchased an later survived an arson fire(ironic) so I need an mpu for it, I've reseated all connections when I setup the game after 3+ yrs last week, corrected several issues, there are characters that stay on, that shouldn't, I usually repair my own stuff, looking at the back the corrosion at the top displays pins is pretty crusty, I was hoping someone had a spare board I could swap the glass onto, if not I'll clean it up try to fix the top display and buy an led replacement when I can, thanks for the insight

Did you have any luck finding a MPU for Fire? I will check tomorrow, but I doubt that I have a spare Diner display board without the glass displays. If the corrosion did not go through to the other side, you can sand the traces and resolder any parts that had the corrosion. Worth a shot trying to save it. I had installed a red Rottendog LED in my Black Knight and it looks pretty good.

#2801 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

No, I need one, it was worth a shot, what I do have is data east/Sega boards and stern ws, but no games to put them in lol

Maybe create a want to trade ad for a working 11B for one of you DE MPU boards?

#2803 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

Fire was the last sys11a game, 11b would work if I added the missing components, but yes that's a good idea

11B is a bit easier to locate than 11A. Your Diner has a 11C MPU? On 2 occasions , I ran into a Diner and a Pool Sharks, originally shipped with 11C boards, actually have 11B board installed. It works, but overkill in those 2 games.

#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

My diner actually has its original 11c boards minus the power aux board which is aftermarket, I agree , my ad says 11a or b, hopefully someone has one

Post a link to your ad in this thread.

1 month later
#2813 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

On Diner when I power it up it fires a coil or two, doesn't start up the display, and there is a low level "buzz" type of hum coming from the speakers. It has failed to boot in the past (and I have replaced C30) but didn't have the buzz like this. The LEDs on the MPU from left to right are solid/off/off.

Seems like 5 volts is too low coming from the power supply. Measure 5v and 12v on the test points of the power supply. Seems like it is time to recap the power supply.

#2815 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

5/12v at power supply

Measure at the power supply as I mentioned. If it is bad from the source, no need to measure at the MPU.

#2817 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Gotcha. I’ll be back at this location on Saturday. I have a cap kit but have to confirm its for the correct board set.

Pretty positive Taxi and Whirlwind have the same power supply as Diner.

If you have 12 volts measuring less than 11.90v, then you probably have a bad bridge rectifier as well as needing replacement.

Here are the capacitors..
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W12246-PEC-KIT

1 month later
#2841 4 years ago
Quoted from madmax45680:

Sign Me Up!
WhirWind Owner

No pictures showing proof of life?

#2846 4 years ago

Love my BK2K. Fast paced and a challenge to keep the 3 ball multiball going.

#2860 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Was playing my transporter the other night and started to smell something and noticed the right side GI was out. Everything else works.
I checked all fuses and repinned the connector that controls left and right side GI. The right side is controlled by the purple and purple/white wires.
I can't figure it out, any ideas?

What connector did you change, and did it have any burnt pins? No burnt pins found on J6 of the interconnect board? Make sure you pull the 4 GI fuses off the interconnect board and test the fuses as the transformer will disguise a blown fuse in the GI circuit.

There is a playfield GI relay on the underside of the playfield. Any burnt pins to those 2 connectors of this relay board? If not, swap the playfield GI relay board with the backbox relay for further testing.

2 months later
#2921 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

My Fire! pinball has been making this high freq capacitor squeal noise for a while now. The first time I noticed it was before I had done any work in the backbox, and I figured once I replaced all the caps it would go away. It hasn't! It's intermittent and tends to go away once it's warmed up. I changed all the caps on the power supply, save for one, which either wasn't listed in the kit (I had to part it out because the kit was unavailable) or I missed it. It's located in the lower right corner of the p. supply board and is physically quite small, although I don't recall the value. I also replaced the big can cap and rectifiers with the nice fused replacement board.
I can follow the sound with my ear, and it's definitely coming from the power supply. I'm wondering if any of you have had any experience with something like this?

Is it a Rottendog power supply? If so, ditch it and get an original working power supply.

#2926 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Nope it's all original!

Please post a picture of the power supply.

#2932 4 years ago

After a rebuild, the original power supply is back good as new.

#2939 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Here's the power supply. I checked that I put all the caps in the right direction. The only one I haven't changed is the little guy in the lower right, between the relay and the heat sync.[quoted image]

That capacitor you mentioned is C8, 47uf 63v, and it looks to be leaking. Oddly enough, it is not listed on the power supply BOM in the Fire manual. What if you remove the 1/4 amp fuse from F1, do you still hear the noise? I would expect not as removing the fuse would cut the high voltages from getting to the plasma display.

2019-12-23 10_36_47-Slack (resized).png2019-12-23 10_36_47-Slack (resized).png

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

So over the Christmas break I was able to change C8, I went ahead and changed C7 as well, just because I wasn't positive I had changed it last time. Hooked it up last night, and it's still singing! So onto the next thing!

What brand capacitors are you using?

Does this sound level on the noise change as less text is shown on the display?

5 months later
#3144 3 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

The top drop target on my Whirlwind is not registering. When I run the switch test it generally does not respond but if I move the connector to the opto board around I can get a response some time. I’m guessing the plug (shown) is the culprit.

That can mean the male header pin on the board may have a broken solder joint. I would resolder all of them on the board first. Best to repin the wired connector anyway.

1 month later
#3171 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

If my HS won’t boot, and is giving what looks like the bottom half of a “3” in the readout (but who knows), do I just shotgun the CPU and whatever else pinwiki says could be bad? Voltages are good. 6116 NVRAM.

Send it out for repair is my advice.

10 months later
#3254 2 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Here's an update on my Bad Cats. I switched the sound board from my Riverboat Gambler into the Bad Cats which now plays the RG music but still no speech. I'm thinking it's a MPU problem. Someone suggested that there may be a problem with one of the Op-Amps, U4 and U5 (1458). Is there any way to test the U10, U4 and U5?
Thanks again

How about posting a picture of your MPU board?

5 months later
#3373 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Don't forget to add fuses for the rectifiers or use a Bridge Board.
I hate to see your Taxi go up in smoke.
http://home.kpn.nl/inkochnito/bridge_board.htm
Peter

Taxi is 11B. According to your document, 11B would not apply since I see the use of a fuse on each of the bridge rectifiers on the auxiliary board.

1 month later
#3456 2 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

I replaced my battery holder on my BK2000. The game adjustments in the coin door do not work properly I can scroll through them but can not change them with the credit button. Also I can start a game with the door open so something is going on with the high power door switch. I checked and reseated connector 1J14 but no go. Thanks

Do you have 1J13 and 1J14 swapped?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
4 months later
#3634 1 year ago

Finally got one.

20220603_192927 (resized).jpg20220603_192927 (resized).jpg20220603_193032 (resized).jpg20220603_193032 (resized).jpg20220603_211444 (resized).jpg20220603_211444 (resized).jpg
#3639 1 year ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Where did you get those bolt on handles ? Always thought about making various versions of that.

GregCon made my pinball moving handles after I had repaired his resetting issue on TZ.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures?tq=&tu=gregcon

1 week later
#3663 1 year ago
Quoted from Tazmanialips:

Sign me up I have Big Guns.

No picture for proof of life?

2 months later
#3717 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I turned on my Police Force last night and got a U21 PIA Failure message

Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

PIA FAILURE.
Swapped U41 with a working one and still dead.

Sometimes there is actually nothing wrong with the PIA, even though it may be reported on the display upon turning on the game.

Start with replacing C30 22uf 25v axial electrolytic capacitor on the MPU. Observe the polarity when installing the replacement capacitor.

#3723 1 year ago

We're probably going to send that back too unless anyone has any idea why it would behave like this?
The guys at the event seem to think it might be u10s socket, some dirt or similar.

I already made a statement, which you quoted and ignoring the suggestion and then asking what to do. How about doing the suggestion and let's go from there?

#3725 1 year ago

Could U10 on the new board be related to the same cap too?

Have to replace the C30 capacitor in both boards to find out.

I do not remember all the different PIA locations that had shown on different boards that I worked on over the years. It is on my list to change anytime I come across a MPU to repair.

Electrolytic capacitors only have a 15 year life expectancy. Sometimes they last longer by chance.

3 months later
#3870 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Or as vid1900 would say, use a crisp 100 dollar bill to clean those contacts!

$100 bill cleans better than $1 bill.

#3875 1 year ago
Quoted from MysticalMule:

The audio on my Bally Game Show is kind of tinny and sounds quiet/distant.

With the game off, turn the volume control pot back and forth like 20 times. Improved it?

#3882 1 year ago
Quoted from MysticalMule:

My finger barely brushed the volume knob and the sound came back! Full sound is back and now with a heinous, loud buzz

Do as I previously instructed. The idea is to try and clean the inside of the pot contacts.

#3888 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Any suggestions from the seasoned sys 11 veterans? What about the large cap inside the Blackbox?

That large capacitor rarely fails, so keep it in place. It is for the lamp matrix power to the insert lamps

Other than what you already did, I do NRVAM and never look back to batteries ever again.

#3890 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

Hi there
I just wonder where can I buy LED OCD board for Williams System 11? It looks like they are sold out everywhere

Not for GI, but inserts.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards-for-inserts

#3892 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

Hi PinballManiac40
Thank you for the link. I checked comets LEDs website as well but when I selected systems 11 it displayed sold out [quoted image]

Bummer. I had just added to my cart to check it before posting. It seemed available at that time

#3898 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Best Sys 11C display? Pinscore, Rottendog, Wolfpactech, etc?

I have a red Rottendog display in my Diner. I think red is the best color choice for it.

I think any LED display will be reliable.

IMG_20221229_204402 (resized).jpgIMG_20221229_204402 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 39.99
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.