IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0265 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8133 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8135 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider idealjoker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3142 3 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I am having trouble with My Jokerz, The draw poker, top right out hole kicker has to fire 3 or 4 times to get the ball up into the inlanes. I have cleaned the mech, adjusted the tip with no difference. It seems to bang around the ball guides and bounce back in. Should I consider going up in coil strength? It has an AE 23-800 coil. Or is there another solution?

Have you changed the coil sleeve?

1 year later
#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Once you learn the game, there is no reason to do anything except shoot it up the top over and over.

If somebody sells me a cheap copy of the game I will commit to making a home ROM for it that will solve this problem. Fact is, this offer goes for most System 7, 9 and 11 games. (Check out PEMBOT and "Jungle Lord new tricks" if you don't believe me.)

#3481 2 years ago

I love the frantic nature of the game. Would be fun to try to add more of the same.

Quoted from rotordave:

Bk2000 has the best art and best sounds of all the SYS11 games

It's one of two games that I remember first by sound. The other is EBD.

4 weeks later
#3516 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I've had every single switch column transistor fail, one by one in the space of 3 days.
Replaced them with beefier 2n5551’s.

Now a similar transistor has failed for one of the coils.

Every game that I have bought (only three, all from the 80s) developed a series of 4-6 board faults soon after purchase. After I fixed those (and dealt with the recommended cap and connector replacements) my boards have been solid. Maybe it has to do with my cleaning all the contacts when I get a new game --- I am imagining that this may increase the current draw --- and that I probably play way more games than the old owner did.

This is just a guess, though. I have wondered for a while whether my experience is strange or not.

2 weeks later
#3541 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I know how to do it.

Snazzy!

3 weeks later
#3598 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

on the back of the ramp there is a lock assembly that wasn’t used

That's intriguing. Do you have any more info (or a pic) on this lock?

#3602 1 year ago

Thanks so much for the information, Dave, that's really cool!

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Always thought it would be cool if someone went back into the code and integrated these switches as another multiball for the software!

That would be fun to try. I am always thinking about the next project, so this definitely puts the game on my radar. But I just got a Bad Cats. And I am very slow. So the next project is definitely a couple of years away at least.

1 month later
#3669 1 year ago

Diner is one of my favorite Sys 11 games. I only wish that the right scoop were less rewarding.

#3672 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Following up .. looks like you can adjust the right scoop to make it harder as well.

Those adjustments will do the trick for me. (I have never played a Diner where I could adjust the settings.)

4 months later
#3791 1 year ago

The second of my System 11 games now has a ball saver. There's PEMBOT and now here's The Cat's Meow:

Apologies for the spam (and the poor quality of the 19-seconds video), but I just wanted to advertise a Pinside Home ROM Development thread for Bad Cats for those who may have missed the announcement.

2 months later
#3904 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Wolfpack displays and have no complaints.

I have gotten great customer service from Wolfpack.

3 months later
#4095 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Why aren’t these old games revised? Is the code just hard to write?

Without money as motivation, why are the games revisited at all? Making tournament ROMs is a great motivation. I don't play competitively, so I don't care all that much about tournament ROMs. My own primary motivations are i) that I am very opinionated (I don't like shared Jackpots, I don't like ball-3 gimmes, I don't like it when you can score highly on a game without having to use all/most of the available shots, I don't like light bugs, etc. etc.) and ii) that I like to experiment to see what's possible.

Reason ii is why I once explored adding a third ball to a 2-ball game (without adding a trough switch) --- https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-a-2-ball-game-to-three-balls-with-software-can-it-be-done. The result: yes, it is possible but the result is clunky because you need a ball-search to handle the case when two balls drain simultaneously during multiball. That's also why you cannot modify Bad Cats to become a non-clunky multiball game without hardware modifications.

The experiment that currently rocks my pinball-coding boat is a patch for the System 11 operating system (rather than for a specific game) with the goal to shrink the amount of space required for the game code of any game. The recent beta code I sent to the testers for my Bad Cats ROM uses an early version of the modified virtual machine. No bugs reported yet.

#4100 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I know we were looking at text compressions but what did you end up doing?

I am using SWI to execute a single instruction of a "new" virtual machine, which I call the IVM. The IVM uses the WVM (Sys 11 Pinbol) interpreter as a "plug-in", so all the useful WVM instructions are available in-line (setBits, killThreads, exitThread, etc.). This alone saves tons of space in Bad Cats. In the IVM I reuse some of the WVM opcodes that are not useful as "one shots"; for example, opcode $01 (noOperation in WVM) starts WVM mode. I added new system calls, including display_str16 which you can use both in WVM_mode and as one shots. Finally, I added M6800 extension opcodes, such as PSHX, PULX, AAX, A2BX, etc. I have not yet implemented any string compression but I am pretty sure that I will at some stage. Eventually I would like to make this available to other interested parties.

What I like best about the IVM is that it is "boot-strappable": The first stage is a patch to the original WVM interpreter that adds one-shot capability while making the code 1-byte smaller. Therefore I can add the IVM to a game with zero bytes of free ROM. The space I get with the first stage is sufficient to implement the 2nd, etc.

#4105 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I also have no experience with the Williams System 3-11 software other than an occasional glance at the initialization code.

Your conclusions based on incomplete information are very impressive --- all of your presumptions are 100% accurate. The "one-shot" method that I am using is not new. I did not know about the Stern VM slochar mentioned, but I have been long familiar with the use of software interrupts for system calls. In this sense, what I have done is simply to make the bytecode operations available as system calls.

Quoted from interconnect:

I don’t quite understand all of this, but would love to know more.

If there is interest we could make a Pinball VM thread. My own experience is limited to Williams System 7 and 11, but slochar has analyzed several others, and there must be other Pinsiders who can contribute.

#4109 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

I’m absorbing all of this because I’ve long been wanting to see if I could mod the Space Station software.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is very much useful info on the Sys 11 WVM available on-line. However, since the Sys 11 WVM is very similar to the Sys 7 WVM (only a small handfull of the opcodes of the byte-code interpreter changed) the easiest way to learn about the WVM is using the code from a disassembled Sys 7 game. You can get a disassembler for Sys 7 games with config files for seven different Sys 7 games on Jess Askey's game archive (easy to find with google). Jess is on Pinside and at least slochar and I can also answer questions. Once you understand how it works in a Sys 7 game, the Space Station code will be understandable, too. I am happy to share my tools. But you really need to understand the basics of the WVM before you can use my disassembler and compiler.

2 months later
#4142 10 months ago
Quoted from derfske:

thoughts about rollergames?

• Very fun 3-ball multiball. (Unlike many other 3-ball multiballs without autoplunger, IMO.)
  • Upper flipper that is important to use.
  • Ramp with three different exits (diverters).
  • Fun magnet for guaranteed ramp-shots.
  • Progressive difficulty (starts easy, gets harder).
  • Not a drain monster.
  • Catchy music.
  • Awesome Jackpot tune (kicks butt).
  • Two-stage outlane saver (fun to watch, especially when it does not go according to plan)
  • Habitrail loop for locked balls (to distract the player)
  • Lost of software choice (two home ROMs in addition to stock)
  • Good difficulty level (not too easy, not too hard)
  • Variety of goals (MB, teams, combo shots, WILLIAMS count-down, Sudden Death mode)
  • Excellent playfield design (very different in my small collection)

Most importantly, I can rarely leave the machine when it's time for me to do so. I bought mine before ever playing a game, because of word-of-mouth and because I like Sys 11 games. The diamond plate playfield (not all of them have that) and a fair price made this a no-brainer in my case. I am very happy with this game.

4 months later
#4377 6 months ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Honorable mention to Pinbot, which i think has the best sounds/music of all.

The Pinbot code is pretty amazing. I am not aware of any other game with such a tight synchronization between sound and light effects. The most obvious place this is used is in the robot mouth animation during speech, which is perfectly in sync. In other games (Bad Cats, for example) the sound and lamp threads are started at the same time but there is no synchronization once the threads are running. As a result, the effects never perfectly in sync.

1 month later
#4430 4 months ago

I am proud to announce the release of THE CAT'S MEOW, a new Home ROM patch for BAD CATS. Major features of the patch include player-selectable rules, multiplayer games with handicaps, a ball saver, as well as the ability to pause/mute a running game. Game adjustments for all major game features provide 65536 different rules combinations. The patch is avaialble for free. For details see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cat-s-meow-a-new-home-rom-for-bad-cats/page/6#post-7912316, as well as may other posts in that thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
$ 45.95
$ 70.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider idealjoker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club?tu=idealjoker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.