IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0265 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8133 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8135 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3556 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Tech tip:
When servicing a sys-11 cpu board always replace the tantalum capacitor in the blanking circuit (near the 555 timer) for a normal capacitor. I had several of these replaced over the years.
Symptoms: board doesn't start or board boots but coils aren't working.

It should be fine to use another tantalum capacitor. Just make sure the rated working voltage is 3x over what the circuit uses. For 5V use a capacitor rated at 16V. While I haven’t run into any of this specific cap fail on any System 11 boards appreciate you posting the symptoms in case it does come up.

There are know issues with tantalum caps from the 80’s. Many have them fail. As they go they tend to fail shorted. Newer tantalum caps seem much better.

#3560 2 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

Aren't standard caps easier/cheaper to get vs tantalum?

None of the caps are hard to get. Tantalum caps tend to cost a little more than some of the other styles. But, they are very stable and keep their value over a wide temperature range. You just need to ensure there is a safety margin and the rated voltage on the Tantalum should be at least 3x the working voltage of the circuit they are in. Also never install a tantalum backwards!

8 months later
#3885 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Pretty much everything I have tackled to date are some old EMs and WPC and newer pins, but I've now decided to tackle a couple of system 11 restoration projects I bought out of a warehouse deal. I'm starting with an 11C Diner. Swapped the playfield and rebuilt all of the mechs. I'm working on the boards now and then will tackle the cabinet. I've re-capped the power supply, the aux power board and the sound board. I've re-flowed all of the connectors and removed the battery pack from the main board. What else should I spruce up while I have the boards on the bench? Should I replace the bridge rectifiers as a preventative measure? Supposedly the machine was working fine when it went to storage, and the boards are clean, but I won't know of any issues until I fire her up. Any suggestions from the seasoned sys 11 veterans? What about the large cap inside the Blackbox? Do most folks replace them?
Thanks

No need to replace the bridges or large cap. Just add the extra fuses on the inputs of the bridges. It is described on pinwiki.com

6 months later
#4166 9 months ago
Quoted from derfske:

what are for you unpopular gems?
if i find a shaq attac for a nice price i would buy it xD

Since this is a System 11 thread I am going to bring up Bad Cats. Not a deep game and a lot of pinball people don't like that it is a single ball. But guests love the art and sounds and anyone that like cats goes right to it. There is new code coming out that is making it a better game. Others are non System 11. Mr and Mrs Pacman is liked by casual players and once you get how the maze works is a fun machine. I also have a Rapid Fire. I have friends that aren't interested in playing regular pinball machines yet they kept playing that and wanted to try it over and over. It is good if you want a variety and like it for what it is. A physical version of Space Invaders (Gun Game). Another pleasant Surprise was Volcano by Gottlieb. It is a fun quirky game that friends enjoy.

A lot boils down to theme and personal preference. I like to have a few odd machines so everyone can find something they enjoy.

#4170 9 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Guys, I have a question
I have an absolutely like new whirlwind that plays perfectly in every way but one:
The cellar eject is shit.
The coil is as weak as a kitten. No binding what so ever. I adjusted the scoop a bit to sew I'd that was the issue, but it very clearly is a weak coil.
So, I put in a slightly stronger one . That helped a bit but was still garbage. After putting it back to spec, it now may only .are it out of the scoop every other time. The coil is THAT weak.
No other coils are bad. Game plays great. What is going on here? Again, no gumming up of anything, the coil is smoothly able to fire by hand. Everything is great there. Bad transistor, maybe? Help!

Has someone replaced the transistor before? Was the correct one used?

#4172 9 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If they did, it was before me. So no idea.

The manual should tell what transistor location to look at. Next time you open the backbox look to see if there was any work and it matches the others.

#4175 9 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I mean, shouldn't I just replace it no matter what? Can they go bad where the coils get pitifully weak?l like this?

Typically they fail open or shorted. At this point I wouldn’t just replace. Just see if it has been messed with before. To bypass it could try grounding the tab to see if it works at full strength. If not then I would focus on the game and not worry about the board now. Have you measured voltage at the coil?

#4178 9 months ago

If you replace parts be careful where you buy them. Don’t use Amazon, etc. you may end up with fakes. I’ve seen people pull out good parts and put in substandard fakes that easily blow.

#4180 9 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hey all. Working on finishing up a Taxi and would like to put some of the FM1608-120 chips I have. I am of the understanding that in order for this to work I will have to change around some jumpers. Can anybody point me in the direction of some information on this.
Thanks

I think it is listed on pinwiki.com.

3 months later
#4357 6 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Here is a picture of that area of the board. I think U41 needs to be replaced unfortunately. [quoted image]

Just to close the loop on this the board is fixed. It was just a bad I/O pin on the PIA chip and U41. Was able to quickly confirm that with the logic probe. Took about 10 minutes to unsolder the PIA, test it out of circuit in a dedicated tester, then install a DIP socket and a tested good PIA. After washing the flux off the back of the board, and drying it I can confirm that the signal now works all the way out to the connector. Since it is now socketed if the chip ever fails again it can easily be replaced. All good.

5 months later
#4546 17 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Man. Just rebuilt pinbot slings.
The plunger assembly’s link (blue piece) seems just a hair too fat, so it impedes movement where it attaches to the kicker arm! Same part number I replaced it with, so I know it’s correct.
I dabbed a little wd40 on it, and am trying to move it a bunch to workk it in. Hoping that helps.
Anyone run into this?

May be the same part number but was it an original part or a reproduction? If it is too wide then you may need to make some adjustments to that part. As far as WD40 that may do more harm than good in the long run. I would keep WD40 away from the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,490.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 19.99
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 29.99
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.