Topic Stats

• 2,724 posts
  • 576 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Blackbeard
  • Topic is favorited by 247 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 509 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C37C024F-9348-4282-87C3-13EB25B0A5CB (resized).jpeg
u-25 (resized).jpg
FBA089B4-6A15-435F-B81B-A7194A607B65 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.50.57 AM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
88199A19-A510-4C14-84C4-655A1049A48A (resized).jpeg
AB5A6CA8-9F19-4051-B9A5-F07B0CC3B39E (resized).jpeg
D6A0068F-014B-42F1-BF61-F26D68745855 (resized).jpeg
CD608D74-DEFA-4F1F-BEC1-136D20A38B40 (resized).jpeg
System 11 (resized).jpg
B13AFAA3-F081-428A-BB84-F5E4374D04F1 (resized).jpeg
41B9706F-F706-421A-B66F-ADA214A98159 (resized).jpeg
AA5F275C-F9FE-467F-8ED2-306EF3AE8BE4 (resized).jpeg
49A293F7-91FA-473D-BC82-3F2BA9EB48E6 (resized).jpeg

There are 2724 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 55.
#2651 35 days ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Phantom isn't really a System 11, but it looks and plays like one

Data East ripped off the Sys11 architecture for its board set, so it sort of is ....

rd

#2652 35 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Data East ripped off the Sys11 architecture for its board set, so it sort of is ....
rd

I hear you but they are just ehhhhhhh.... in overall comparison. Totally my opinion I guess but I hate the sound on every data East game I’ve ever owned. They play great though.

#2653 35 days ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I hear you but they are just ehhhhhhh.... in overall comparison. Totally my opinion I guess but I hate the sound on every data East game I’ve ever owned. They play great though.

Well Chris Granner didn't work for Data East. Phantom is probably the best of the lot sound wise.

#2654 34 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Well Chris Granner didn't work for Data East. Phantom is probably the best of the lot sound wise.

I will agree wth that. Of all the DE games I have had (and I am by no means an expert, or have I played them all, I’m just some guy in Kentucky who likes to play...) POTO did have the best sound. The hum on the later model DMD games is so unbearable that I second guess myself on buying them anymore because it annoys me so bad lol. Part of my Bally/Williams snob mentality I guess lol.

On a lighter note.... talking to a guy about potentially picking up a swords of fury. I have only played a handful of games on it. Is it a keeper or all hype? Just looking for some honest opinions on it.

#2655 34 days ago

On a lighter note.... talking to a guy about potentially picking up a swords of fury. I have only played a handful of games on it. Is it a keeper or all hype? Just looking for some honest opinions on it.
All depends what you like , had 1 for a year and couldnt get into it. Id find one to play before going out and buying one. Unless the price is $600 or less.

#2656 34 days ago
Quoted from TK2012:

Unless the price is $600 or less.

I’ve played it several times. Some people seem to love it and other just think it’s ok. Just trying to get everyone’s take. As far as $600. I’d buy any working system 11 for $600 all day. The boards are worth more than that to me. I think days of finding them for that are long past

#2657 34 days ago
Quoted from TK2012:

Unless the price is $600 or less.

Send me every one you can buy for that, I’ll take em!

rd

#2658 34 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Send me every one you can buy for that, I’ll take em!
rd

RD you have them all so what is your take on swords. Seems like the game blew up on popularity in the last 3 or so years. Is that merited or lots of hype.

#2659 34 days ago

I’ve had mine for years. I remember the locals laughed at me for paying $1050 for it at the time. Lol!

I think it’s a great game. Maybe the “lionmannnn” thing has hyped it up a little, but it’s not worth any more than it would be without that hype.

Funny - we were playing WOZ at a competition a few years ago, and I said to a guy “the upper playfield is like SOF” ... he said “yeah but that’s a better game” lol

Would definitely be in my top 5 SYS11s .. but others mileage may vary ...

Plus there is a Hardtop coming out for it soon ... as well as Grand Lizard. My SOF will be getting one of those fitted.

rd

#2660 34 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Would definitely be in my top 5 SYS11s ..

What are the other 4?

#2661 34 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’ve had mine for years. I remember the locals laughed at me for paying $1050 for it at the time. Lol!
I think it’s a great game. Maybe the “lionmannnn” thing has hyped it up a little, but it’s not worth any more than it would be without that hype.
Funny - we were playing WOZ at a competition a few years ago, and I said to a guy “the upper playfield is like SOF” ... he said “yeah but that’s a better game” lol
Would definitely be in my top 5 SYS11s .. but others mileage may vary ...
Plus there is a Hardtop coming out for it soon ... as well as Grand Lizard. My SOF will be getting one of those fitted.
rd

I love the system 11s I have. More than most of the WPC games I’ve owned. I’m curious to your top 5 list too. I’ve played most but obviously not all

#2662 34 days ago

Not telling! I don’t like lists.

Plus, I change it all the time. My answer would be different next month.

Your favourite games should be the ones you like ...

rd

#2663 33 days ago

As a Swords owner - It's a fun game that's just a little different than most others. My only major complaint is it isn't the deepest of games if you're going for a high score (multiball all day) - but if you're in competition and struggling on that sharp angle shot then a few other alternatives open up. Artwork is killer, sounds a good, LIONMAN makes me laugh... Plus due to their hype they are worth $2.5K+ all day if you ever do get bored of it.

#2664 33 days ago

I need head locks for 2 High Speed machines and 1 F-14. Marco didn't seem to have them and the HS manual wasn't much help for part numbers. Anyone know if these games have the same head lock, and what the part number might be? I need everything since there's just holes in the head right now.

#2665 33 days ago

I know F-14 has a different head lock. Had to get one myself. Try planetary pinball.

#2666 33 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I know F-14 has a different head lock. Had to get one myself. Try planetary pinball.

Different than High Speed? They are both up by the beacon(s), but I didn't look to see if they were in the exact same spot. I just want things to stop falling apart when I transport them really.

#2667 33 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hmmmm ...
I like most of them!

Interesting you can't put a finger on a single one. I have owned a lot of different S11's (not as many as you ) but have to single out Mousin Around as my favourite.

I don't think I have had a bad S11 (apart from maybe Fire) but just for fun MA takes the win for me

#2668 33 days ago

desertt1 you might hit up grumpy he may know. I saw a 1 1/2 latching cam with 7/8 barrel on PBL site.

#2669 33 days ago
Quoted from freddy:

Want an original

Original as can be, has a date stamp on the top right corner January 1989. Looks exactly like mine which is original.

ebay.com link » Williams Pinball Machine Jokerz Operations Manual W Schematics 1988 Copy

#2670 33 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I need head locks for 2 High Speed machines and 1 F-14. Marco didn't seem to have them and the HS manual wasn't much help for part numbers. Anyone know if these games have the same head lock, and what the part number might be? I need everything since there's just holes in the head right now.

I’ve got the same issue with trying to find this correct part number for the head on my F-14. I bought a couple of different locks and nothing so far really works.

#2671 33 days ago

Here’s the useless part number.

D6A0068F-014B-42F1-BF61-F26D68745855 (resized).jpeg
#2672 33 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

desertt1 you might hit up grumpy he may know. I saw a 1 1/2 latching cam with 7/8 barrel on PBL site.

I got nothing. I could take measurements if that helps.

1 week later
#2673 24 days ago

Just tuning the games for the World System 11 Championships in a couple of weeks.

I think I need to make them even tougher!

rd

AB5A6CA8-9F19-4051-B9A5-F07B0CC3B39E (resized).jpeg
#2674 22 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just tuning the games for the World System 11 Championships in a couple of weeks.
I think I need to make them even tougher!
rd[quoted image]

Radical! is my white whale. I just cant seem to find it to play...much less buy.

#2675 22 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Radical! is my white whale. I just cant seem to find it to play...much less buy.

Only 1300 made ... pretty thin on the ground ...

Maybe there’ll be one at TPF for you to play?

rd

#2676 22 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Only 1300 made ... pretty thin on the ground ...
Maybe there’ll be one at TPF for you to play?
rd

There isnt one listed yet, but i can hope.

I have a goal to play all system 11 games. It is the rarest.

#2677 22 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

It is the rarest.

Nope - second rarest - there were only 850 Transporters made.

Who knows how many left. Probably half that.

rd

#2678 21 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Nope - second rarest - there were only 850 Transporters made.
Who knows how many left. Probably half that.
rd

I will do some investigating. Pinside takes the number from ipdb, but system11.org is the OG and puts the production run at 1400.
Whereas radical! has been confirmed at 1315.

#2679 21 days ago

Come to ReplayFX/Pinburgh in August - I know I played Transporter in the tourney, not sure if Radical will make it in with the latest software released for it.

#2680 20 days ago

Recrimping the IC conn for GI on riverboat gambler. The left side was toasty black. I’ve done lots of crimps with my tool. But this one needs the loop wires done. Anyone have a vid on doing a butt splice ?

88199A19-A510-4C14-84C4-655A1049A48A (resized).jpeg
#2681 20 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Recrimping the IC conn for GI on riverboat gambler. The left side was toasty black. I’ve done lots of crimps with my tool. But this one needs the loop wires done. Anyone have a vid on doing a butt splice ?[quoted image]

I soldered additional pairs of wire to each strand and terminated in a trifurcon pin:
Probably worth replacing the header on the interconnect board too, though it might be less toasty than the Radical I worked on was:

#2682 20 days ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

I soldered additional pairs of wire to each strand and terminated in a trifurcon pin:
[quoted image]
Probably worth replacing the header on the interconnect board too, though it might be less toasty than the Radical I worked on was:
[quoted image]

Thx!

Pins getting redone

That’s exactly what I want to to do. How did you add wire to each strand ?

#2683 20 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx!
Pins getting redone
That’s exactly what I want to to do. How did you add wire to each strand ?

From memory I just did a normal join and solder:
Except I stripped twice as much from one side so I could splice a second wire in, then covered the whole thing with heat shrink.

#2684 20 days ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

From memory I just did a normal join and solder:
[quoted image]
Except I stripped twice as much from one side so I could splice a second wire in, then covered the whole thing with heat shrink.

Not sure I follow. I thought you need to but splice about 2 inches up. Remove shielding and add 3” inch of wire to make a new wire to crimp ?

#2685 20 days ago

Just installed NVRAM into my High Speed and now that I have the board back in the machine it won’t boot. GI comes on, the displays have the glow in the corner showing they are getting power. I’m getting 5V at the test point on the MPU but the single digit display is off.

I’m not saying it’s the NVRAM, because I ordered 5 and neither of the first 2 I tired made a difference. I made sure that none of the pins are shorted to their neighbors.

#2686 19 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Just installed NVRAM into my High Speed and now that I have the board back in the machine it won’t boot. GI comes on, the displays have the glow in the corner showing they are getting power. I’m getting 5V at the test point on the MPU but the single digit display is off.
I’m not saying it’s the NVRAM, because I ordered 5 and neither of the first 2 I tired made a difference. I made sure that none of the pins are shorted to their neighbors.

I would remove the NVRAM and use the socket to test the pins (tone it with a multimeter) for continuity at their destination. Likely a trace was lifted or one pin not soldiered quite right.

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 8.50.57 AM (resized).png
#2687 19 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I would remove the NVRAM and use the socket to test the pins (tone it with a multimeter) for continuity at their destination. Likely a trace was lifted or one pin not soldiered quite right.[quoted image]

Shockingly, everything buzzes happily at U26, U31 and Q40. Grounds on pin 12 and 20. Pin 24 buzzes at D1 and D2 like schematic shows.

#2688 19 days ago

I put my other High Speed board in (still has batteries, no NVRAM) and only plugged in 1J17. It gave me a zero on that board. Went back to the NVRAM board and did some observing. I thought I saw the RAM display flicker, so turned off the lights and recorded this. Does this indicate anything? Seems like it flickers when powered off. I was originally wondering if that display had gone bad.

#2689 19 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I put my other High Speed board in (still has batteries, no NVRAM) and only plugged in 1J17. It gave me a zero on that board. Went back to the NVRAM board and did some observing. I thought I saw the RAM display flicker, so turned off the lights and recorded this. Does this indicate anything? Seems like it flickers when powered off. I was originally wondering if that display had gone bad.

That’s strange. grumpy any idea here?

#2690 19 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

grumpy any idea here?

Did you test out the data lines to nearby PIA chip like U-10? Just because the data lines are good to the ROMs doesn't mean they are still good to the PIAs. These traces start on the top side of the board under the chip and travel thru vias to the bottom side of the board and then to the PIA chip U-10.

#2691 18 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Not sure I follow. I thought you need to but splice about 2 inches up. Remove shielding and add 3” inch of wire to make a new wire to crimp ?

That could work. The machien I was in a) had alrready had some length removed from the wires, b) I didn't take the harness out of the cabinet so trying to take a section of insulation from the middle of a wire seemed far more difficult than just adding some additional length.

#2692 18 days ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

That could work. The machien I was in a) had alrready had some length removed from the wires, b) I didn't take the harness out of the cabinet so trying to take a section of insulation from the middle of a wire seemed far more difficult than just adding some additional length.

ok thx

#2693 18 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I think Zach Meny ( FlipNOut Pinball) has, or had one and I think he buys and sells frequently.

#2694 18 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you test out the data lines to nearby PIA chip like U-10? Just because the data lines are good to the ROMs doesn't mean they are still good to the PIAs. These traces start on the top side of the board under the chip and travel thru vias to the bottom side of the board and then to the PIA chip U-10.

Is this a logic probe task? Is the process documented at all?

#2695 18 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is this a logic probe task? Is the process documented at all?

No, just ohm them out, U-25 D0 to U-10 D0, U-25 D1 to U-10 D1 and so on.

#2696 16 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No, just ohm them out, U-25 D0 to U-10 D0, U-25 D1 to U-10 D1 and so on.

I’m not sure I’m following the relationship between U25 and U10.

FBA089B4-6A15-435F-B81B-A7194A607B65 (resized).jpeg
#2697 16 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’m not sure I’m following the relationship between U25 and U10.

u-25 (resized).jpg
#2699 16 days ago

Ok, did a continuity test and everything seems to be ok. These are the points.

D0: U10-33 to U25-9
D1: U10-32 to U25-10
D2: U10-31 to U25-11
D3: U10-30 to U25-13
D4: U10-29 to U25-14
D5: U10-28 to U25-15
D6: U10-27 to U25-16
D7: U10-26 to U25-17

#2700 11 days ago

“Sign me up!”. I have just bought a Road Kings.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,600 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Allentown, PA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
Belmont, MA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 36.99
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Castaic, CA
$ 45.99
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 1,200.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 50.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2724 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 55.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside