IMG_0268 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0266 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0265 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8133 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8139 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8135 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,583 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 92.
#2001 6 years ago

Sign me up!

Only one Sys11 in my collection. A complete ground up resto Taxi. Such a great game and era of pins.

#2002 6 years ago

Anyone have a warning label template for the back of the head they could send me? I started doing it in Illustrator, but its going to literally take forever for something nobody sees, lol.

#2003 6 years ago

Perhaps a stupid question, I have been wondering, what does "sign me up" actually do? Do the group moderators keep a list of people signed up?

Quoted from cletus:

Sign me up!
I’ve been unlawfully posting here. Apologies.
System 11 pins are the greatest!

#2004 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Perhaps a stupid question, I have been wondering, what does "sign me up" actually do? Do the group moderators keep a list of people signed up?

No it's just a phrase people use when they finally get a System 11 game or any game and they join that club.

#2005 6 years ago

Thanks to GRUMPY and ajfclark I have vastly increased my knowledge of board repairs. On my space station they have been helping me with, I am almost completely up and running. Summary of repairs:
- fixed 2 broken traces,
- replaced several transistors,
- replaced zener diodes that had been cut (for testing I assume) but no reconnected properly
- replaced a couple of ICs and a PIA

Only one issue remains. The board doesn't always boot (usually have to switch on/off 10-15 times before it will). Not a voltage issue from power supply, as same thing happens when powered by a desktop power supply.

When turned on, the voltage LED lights, but nothing past that. No diagnostic flashes. Sometimes when turning on I will get random sounds or a coil firing for a second.

Thoughts of how to diagnose this?

#2006 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Thoughts of how to diagnose this?

Have you replaced C-30 on the CPU?

#2007 6 years ago

Yes. It didn't make any difference.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you replaced C-30 on the CPU?

#2008 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Not a voltage issue from power supply, as same thing happens when powered by a desktop power supply.

Do you have the 12 volt hooked up to the CPU? Check the solder joints on L-1 and L-2. Does your CPU have zero ohm jumpers?

#2009 6 years ago

I may have figured it out. When I press on either U41 or U42 during boot up, it will start every time. The flexing of the board appears to be making a connection that isn't quite proper without flexing. One of them is sockected, one is not.

I will replace the unsocketed and reflow the socketed one, and see if one of them is the culprit. Does that make sense?

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have the 12 volt hooked up to the CPU? Check the solder joints on L-1 and L-2. Does your CPU have zero ohm jumpers?

#2010 6 years ago

It can be dangerous trying to remove a soldered chip. If it were me, I'd start with replacing the existing socket...assuming it is bad. If that does not solve, try reflowing the soldered chip.....but I'll defer to GRUMPY!

#2011 6 years ago

I don't like to install sockets unless there is a purpose for it. If it were my board I would remove the socket and solder direct to the board like the factory. I would not touch the other chip unless removing the socket didn't correct the issue.

#2012 6 years ago

Can you explain why this is your opinion? It seems to go against a lot of other advice from people. Not criticizing, just wondering about your reasons.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

I don't like to install sockets unless there is a purpose for it. If it were my board I would remove the socket and solder direct to the board like the factory. I would not touch the other chip unless removing the socket didn't correct the issue.

#2013 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Can you explain why this is your opinion? It seems to go against a lot of other advice from people. Not criticizing, just wondering about your reasons.

I am assuming it creates a possible failure point? But I am no genius and that may not be the case at all. Grumpy has helped me a ton on board work and I always value his opinion.

#2014 6 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

It seems to go against a lot of other advice from people.

A good soldered connection does not go bad. A socket is there for ease of replacement which isn't needed in this case. A socket adds 40 extra chances of a bad connection for no reason. Now I'm not saying you should solder in a 40 pin chip with out testing the chip first, but a know good chip should be soldered directly to the board. In 28 years of owning pinball machines I have never replaced any pia chips in my pins or any others. This is because I rebuild the power supplies first when I get a new machine, before I even turn it on. Once I am done repairing a newly acquired pin I never have to do board work again. Here is a pic that I took from the hack post. Why would it be in the worst hack post if everyone thought sockets would help troubleshoot board problems. I will most likely get a 100 down votes for saying this, but this is what I believe to be best. Oh and I always replace the battery holders on my boards with new ones after I inspect for leakage and clean, just to keep it original.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2015 6 years ago

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Grumpy.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

A good soldered connection does not go bad. A socket is there for ease of replacement which isn't needed in this case. A socket adds 40 extra chances of a bad connection for no reason. Now I'm not saying you should solder in a 40 pin chip with out testing the chip first, but a know good chip should be soldered directly to the board. In 28 years of owning pinball machines I have never replaced any pia chips in my pins or any others. This is because I rebuild the power supplies first when I get a new machine, before I even turn it on. Once I am done repairing a newly acquired pin I never have to do board work again. Here is a pic that I took from the hack post. Why would it be in the worst hack post if everyone thought sockets would help troubleshoot board problems. I will most likely get a 100 down votes for saying this, but this is what I believe to be best. Oh and I always replace the battery holders on my boards with new ones after I inspect for leakage and clean, just to keep it original.

#2016 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I will most likely get a 100 down votes for saying this

I will always up vote you Grumpy!!!

#2017 6 years ago

Sign me up!! Got my first, Pin*Bot..... mostly in nice condition. Just needs a little TLC.

#2018 6 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Sign me up!! Got my first, Pin*Bot..... mostly in nice condition. Just needs a little TLC.

Score!

#2019 6 years ago

Sign me up! My first 2 pins were Taxi and High Speed

#2020 6 years ago

I just noticed my Diner has Pinbot sound roms. :/ All the sounds seem to be normal for a Diner. Might the game benefit from having actual Diner sound roms?

#2021 6 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz1969:

I just noticed my Diner has Pinbot sound roms. :/ All the sounds seem to be normal for a Diner. Might the game benefit from having actual Diner sound roms?

Is it possible those ROMs were cleared and rewritten with diner?

#2022 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Is it possible those ROMs were cleared and rewritten with diner?

I have absolutely no idea.

#2023 6 years ago

Sign me up!

I have a Pinbot and want more sys 11 in my life.

#2024 6 years ago

I'm a little late in joining the club but here's my only system 11, I love this machine!

Elvira Red LED (resized).jpgElvira Red LED (resized).jpg

LED PF 1 (resized).jpgLED PF 1 (resized).jpg

#2025 6 years ago

Just got my first SS pin and its an F-14 baby. Now I just need me some Pinbot and I'm good!

#2026 6 years ago

Whats a HUO Bugs Bunny worth if its a real deal game ???

#2027 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Whats a HUO Bugs Bunny worth if its a real deal game ???

What someone wants to pay for it.

It’s not a great pin for players (too easy) however kids and the ladies love it (“its cuteeee!!!” is what I usually hear ...)

Looks pretty good when it’s all done up ...

rd

3CD85152-38F0-4A0B-B894-654D950BB29E (resized).jpeg3CD85152-38F0-4A0B-B894-654D950BB29E (resized).jpeg

#2028 6 years ago

RD,

Takes some pics of the rows now. I need to see all those babies lined up together. That pic of the Bally cabs looks great.

I won't even make you turn them all on.

#2029 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

RD,
Takes some pics of the rows now. I need to see all those babies lined up together. That pic of the Bally cabs looks great.
I won't even make you turn them all on.

Here’s the 10 in today’s World Sys11 championship ...

rd

1FE71A03-3CAA-4E36-8D32-2C6D4106B6C0 (resized).jpeg1FE71A03-3CAA-4E36-8D32-2C6D4106B6C0 (resized).jpeg

#2030 6 years ago

Oh man. I forgot that was going down.

Wish I could be there. Currently waiting to board our private for our tour of Asia.

Good Luck RD.

2E0242F9-3A27-41AB-8C08-FC2389211E9B (resized).jpeg2E0242F9-3A27-41AB-8C08-FC2389211E9B (resized).jpeg

#2031 6 years ago

Please sign me up!

I got a lot of sys 11 games.

#2032 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Wish I could be there. Currently waiting to board our private for our tour of Asia.
Good Luck RD.

Oh, the life of a rock star music guy ...

rd

#2033 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Good Luck RD.

Hey Chris have you ever seen the Journey 1983 Fronters tour video? I know you, the crew and band would really like it. I have it on dvd and have watched it at least a dozen times over the years. How many stops on this tour? Send some pictures if you have time.

#2034 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Chris have you ever seen the Journey 1983 Fronters tour video? I know you, the crew and band would really like it. I have it on dvd and have watched it at least a dozen times over the years. How many stops on this tour? Send some pictures if you have time.

Ha pictures.

Not to derail the tread but our current boss tends to keep the scheds tight so we are either traveling to a new country or doing a show in a new country and then the next day I'm traveling to a new country. So here are the amazing pictures of Tokyo from the hotel before heading over to the gig.

IMG_5609 (resized).JPGIMG_5609 (resized).JPG

IMG_5610 (resized).JPGIMG_5610 (resized).JPG

#2035 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oh, the life of a rock star music guy ...
rd

Exactly. This one made sense since we have about 30 cases we need to ship between cities so the cost of freight, baggage and airline tickets for 26 people adds up to a little bit less than the plane. But if you add in the time to move between cities with connections it makes the day so much shorter. Wish we could do this all the time.

Last time we did a run like this we did 3 continents, 5 countries and 9 shows in 14 days. In the end 2 people had ear infections & the dudes voice was blown out. So we have luckily slowed things down now.

How was the tourney?

#2036 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

How was the tourney?

Well, it all went pretty well.

89 Competitors

Each played one game on 10 Sys11 Pins, with fixed jackpot roms.
SWORDS OF LIONMANNNN
DR DUDE
SPACE STATION
GRAND LIZARD
F14
HIGH SPEED
TAXI
ELVIRA
RADICAL
ROAD KINGS

so 890 Games played ... plus playoffs on top! Over 1000 Games on the 10 Pins.

Had 2 stuck balls on Radical, and one flakey trough switch on the High Speed (which I rebuilt just last month) So that was pretty impressive.

Danni was top qualifier, and I was 3rd. I should have been 1st (I was 8th with a game still left to play) but I had a shit game on Space Station.

As it turned out, that was a huge error because I ended up meeting up with a top Aussie player in the ladder, and he took me to 3 Games, and won on the last ball of F14. So I didn’t win.

Rob McAuley from Adelaide won this time out.

rd

01F84CDB-C86E-49CC-9D5D-42F229BEE2F3 (resized).png01F84CDB-C86E-49CC-9D5D-42F229BEE2F3 (resized).png

5E031413-1A01-43A1-B76B-DBDA4D18BE32 (resized).jpeg5E031413-1A01-43A1-B76B-DBDA4D18BE32 (resized).jpeg

#2037 6 years ago

My whirlwind has go problems.
I have repinned the go connector.
The pop bumpers shine very bright.
The pop bumpers is part of a switch matrix fault I have found. It is linked to the tolls board. The board have connections soldered directly in.
The go bulbs lasts only minutes before burning out.
There are no transistors touching.

Where do I begin my journey?

#2038 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

My whirlwind has go problems.
I have repinned the go connector.
The pop bumpers shine very bright.
The pop bumpers is part of a switch matrix fault I have found. It is linked to the tolls board. The board have connections soldered directly in.
The go bulbs lasts only minutes before burning out.
There are no transistors touching.

Whats the voltage on that go blub?

#2039 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Does the left and right cellar lamps burn out quickly too?

#2040 6 years ago

When you write in a hurry before going to bed. Go = GI.

Yes, the cellar burns out quickly.

#2041 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Yes, the cellar burns out quickly.

This is the entire column 5 that is burning out because it is not being pulsed correctly. You need to check strobe #5 (Q-58) on the cpu board and compare it to strobe #4 circuit. In all lamp test check the output of U-52 pin 3 and compare it to U-53 pin 6. Then compare Q-57 to Q-59 by checking SR16 pins 5 and 6. Lastly compare Q-58 to Q-60 by checking 1J7 pins 4 and 6. Something will not look the same.

#2042 6 years ago

Fantastic GRUMPY I will check it later tonight. I am having a tournament at home today. I will pass out headlamps until I have fixed it

#2043 6 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Sign me up! My first 2 pins were Taxi and High Speed

Sign me up. It's like we're twins! My first two pins too!

#2044 6 years ago

A question on Diner, and a part hunt for F14:

Diner:
Still stumped as to why the ball can go under the left ramp, pause, and then register as a drain. Just went into switch test and clicked that switch ~50 times and it registered as the proper switch each time.

F14:
The switch for the left gate is all warped and locks the gate in the up position. Manual says it's part of an A-11550 assembly. I can only find that at Marco's and they are out of stock. I only need the switch, so anyone know what switch I need?

#2045 6 years ago

Regarding your diner fault, it sounds like you have a bad diode somewhere. It will
Only manifest itself in conjunction with a 3rd switch activation which sounds like it’s causing a ghost switch activation, in this case the outhole switch. Try and recreate it in switch test by pressing the under ramp switch in conjunction with other switches to see which one ghosts the out hole (if that makes any sense whatsoever!)

#2046 6 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Regarding your diner fault, it sounds like you have a bad diode somewhere. It will
Only manifest itself in conjunction with a 3rd switch activation which sounds like it’s causing a ghost switch activation, in this case the outhole switch. Try and recreate it in switch test by pressing the under ramp switch in conjunction with other switches to see which one ghosts the out hole (if that makes any sense whatsoever!)

I'll see what I can find. Aside from trough 1 and 2, and then the flipper buttons, I don't know what else might actually be triggered during the game.

#2047 6 years ago

I’ve had many a system 11 games so far, but finally landed a Radical! One I’ve never had before. Looking forward to it

#2048 6 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Yep, I was going to say the same thing.

Bad diode or broken diode ... start with the switches around the switch in question (on the matrix) and work from there.

It can take hours to sort out an issue like this. My Fathom had a random tilt issue .. in the end I had to replace every switch diode in the game to sort it out. 48 of them! The faulty one was one of the last 6 diodes I replaced ...

rd

#2049 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, I was going to say the same thing.
Bad diode or broken diode ... start with the switches around the switch in question (on the matrix) and work from there.
It can take hours to sort out an issue like this. My Fathom had a random tilt issue .. in the end I had to replace every switch diode in the game to sort it out. 48 of them! The faulty one was one of the last 6 diodes I replaced ...
rd

That sounds like a nightmare. I'll get in there and test the diodes and see what I find.

#2050 6 years ago

I am curently operating a High Speed, an F14 and hopefully a Taxi soon. They don't earn quite like the latest and greatest, but it's great to have some classics mixed in. The High Speed gets a lot of love.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,583 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 92.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-club/page/41?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.