(Topic ID: 271456)

System 11 Aux Power Board 25v over voltage?

By Matthew2000tx

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm trying to be a detailed as possible to get as much help as I can. Sorry this is for the Length of the post.

Earthshaker: My three pop bumpers and shaker motor weren't working after a brush motor replacement. Testing showed on the Aux power board 5J11 pin that should be 25V I was getting nothing. So first I checked fuses all were good. However the previous owner had all the values incorrect. I know I should have checked that first before turning it on but I didn't. I recently installed new brushes on the motor kit and that is when my 3 pop/jet bumpers quit working. I think the new brushes were rubbing the housing of the motor and caused a short as the motor didn't work at all. So I removed brush kit adjust tested continuity and could tell that both lugs were indeed grounded to motor housing. I was a bit surprised a fuse didn't blow when those brushes shorted to motor but again I didn't realize the wrong fuse values were in the board.

After checking and replacing all fuses motor and pops still didn't work so I searched pinside I was tipped off to check W4 because of a post on Pinside where someone was having the same issues of pops/jets not working along with shaker motor not working. Theses components all all share the Red-White wire for power from 5J11 pin 11.

So armed with pinside knowledge I did some testing and found the the 0 ohm resistor at W4 was not showing any continuity or even registering with my ohm meter. Once I replaced W4 with a wire jumper removing the old 0 ohm resistor the Pop bumpers and shaker are working however I noticed the shaker seemed really really fast... It's also got a bad resistor on (R108) on quake motor's drive control the MPU so it's stuck on. Since I noticed how much faster it was spinning I unplugged the harness to the motor high current board I decided remeasured the voltage on the Aux Power 5J11 pin 11 and it this time it was showing 41 volts DC not 25V yikes!!! No wonder that motor was so fast.

I wanted to record a video of the motor spinning as sometimes it doesn't want to start up if it stops in a certain spot and while recording I saw the magic white smoke come for R1 on the high current driver board for the shaker motor. I turned off the machine and disconnected the High current board then I turned it on once more to see if the 2 jet/pop bumpers were still working and they are.

Since confirming that pop bumpers are still working I've left it off because I'm concerned about the 40 volts I'm seeing going to them.

I've only had this ES a few weeks and when I last tested it (before brush install) had correct voltage on 5J11 pin 11 of the Aux Power board. I know there are jumpers on the board that can change this voltage so perhaps I'm using the wrong jumpers?

I checked the transformer's 25 volt taps and they are indeed putting out around 30 volts AC. So I think I might have and issue with the Bridge Rectifier however just wanting to confirm with y'all as I'm all new to this hobby of working on pinball. It's been a decade and a half since my electronic repair class in high school.

Also done at the same time of Jumper W4 was re-flowing the pins on the Aux power board for 5J11. Also previously tested the Q79 quake motor driver on MPU it was good as well as the other transistor in the drive circuit but again R108 was reading about half the ohms it should so I think that is causing the motor to stay on.

Is the bridge rectifier needing to be replaced or do I have my jumpers wrong but I think W4 is where it needs to be.

#2 3 years ago

Can you post a picture of the board? It sounds like the jumper might be incorrect or maybe a solder bridge between pins that should not be connected

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Matthew2000tx:

I'm concerned about the 40 volts I'm seeing going to them.

This is normal voltage for unregulated 25 volts.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is normal voltage for unregulated 25 volts.

40 volts is normal then if I'm testing the pin without the harness on the Aux board?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from grumppy:

Can you post a picture of the board? It sounds like the jumper might be incorrect or maybe a solder bridge between pins that should not be connected

I'll post some tomorrow when I'm back at work on the machine.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Matthew2000tx:

40 volts is normal then if I'm testing the pin without the harness on the Aux board?

I know it sounds "wrong" but this is correct. Same way on WPC machines that the +50 line is normal at about 70 volts.

Also, say it was actually 40v all the time, it's still not going to burn out coils (a coil doesn't have a 'voltage' - I know some are specifically labeled 50v or 28v, but a coil is just a spool of wire with the first number being the gauge (say 23) and the second number being the number of windings (say 800). You can safely interchange any 23-800 for any other 23-800 as long as the bobbin is compatible)

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I know it sounds "wrong" but this is correct. Same way on WPC machines that the +50 line is normal at about 70 volts.
Also, say it was actually 40v all the time, it's still not going to burn out coils (a coil doesn't have a 'voltage' - I know some are specifically labeled 50v or 28v, but a coil is just a spool of wire with the first number being the gauge (say 23) and the second number being the number of windings (say 800). You can safely interchange any 23-800 for any other 23-800 as long as the bobbin is compatible)

I was more concerned about the High Current Driver board and the Earthshaker's Quake motor. I had the nice puffy white smoke come from R1 of that resistor.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

(a coil doesn't have a 'voltage' - I know some are specifically labeled 50v or 28v, but a coil is just a spool of wire with the first number being the gauge (say 23) and the second number being the number of windings (say 800). You can safely interchange any 23-800 for any other 23-800 as long as the bobbin is compatible)

Thanks for that explanation. I had never heard that before. Makes sense though.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

So I guess I need to find out why if this is normal did it fry R1 resistor on the Shaker Motor's High Voltage Current board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-aux-power-board-25v-over-voltage?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.