IMG_20190706_154731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190702_125339 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190702_125332 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190702_125240 (resized).jpg
ma (resized).PNG
IMG_20190630_211455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190630_211545 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190629_170949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 4 years ago

You should run the display test and not test the data line in attract or game mode. In test mode each signal will be isolated. You can pause and step the display test by setting the latching switch (the center switch) to "in". Fiddle around with it if you're unsure. Once the test is in "step" mode you can use the "advance" switch to advance. The test will run through the numeric display for all display positions (strobes) then all segments of each individual strobe. Finally it will test each individual segment for all strobes.

You can just let the display test run and if you desire capture a video and upload it. The top "comma" segment is 1J22-26 and the bottom "comma" segment is 1J3-1.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Oh wow, I didn't realize the commas were controlled by a different cable on each display (I'm assuming by "top" you meant left and by "bottom" you meant right? Mousin' Around has the displays side-by-side instead of stacked). That explains why the issue is only present on the left display.

I don't have a machine with left/right configuration and I haven't examined which is left and which is right on the bench.

Quoted from mystman12:

I don't know if further testing is necessary at this point though. Like I mentioned, my logic probe is getting absolutely no signal on pin 17 of U41 (No lights, no sound), while all of the other pins output something regardless of what state they're supposed to be in. Interestingly it seems like there is continuity between other pins and pin 17 on the chip.

U41-17 is indeed the "comma" segment for the top (presumably = left) display. If there's absolutely no signal (neither 0V nor +5V) then I don't think it should light up at all but I don't know enough about how the circuit works on the PinLED board that you're using.

Quoted from mystman12:

Okay, will I have to desolder that in order to remove it? Also, since the signal is failing at U41, which is before anything goes underneath the battery, do I really need to check behind that yet? I'd rather not remove that unless absolutely necessary. Honestly if I got to that point, I'd probably just send the board in for repairs before I did anything myself... Which as of now is looking like what I'll have to do.

You should make sure you have the correct continuity from U41-17 to SRC2-9 to 1J22-26. This line runs underneath the battery holder so it is often subjected to alkaline corrosion. You can cut the battery holder off if you don't want to de-solder it. You will need some strong cutters though. If you're going to send the board off for repair make sure the person you choose to do the repair will accept the repair. Often people won't touch a board with the slightest evidence of alkaline corrosion.

Quoted from mystman12:

Also, I was going through the display test and I noticed a few other issues. The right most period on the left display will not light at all, and the right most period and comma on the right display also will not light. Not sure if that's related, but I figured I should mention it.

That never lights up during the digit portion of the test. It should light up in the segment portion of the test for either the strobes or the segments. It has been a while since I focused on that particular portion of the test so I'm doing that from memory. I'm in the process of repairing another System 11B board that has issues with U41 and U25 so once I've got all the correct continuity I'll run the test and verify that what I've written (about the dot and comma for the last strobe) is true.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Also, I was going through the display test and I noticed a few other issues. The right most period on the left display will not light at all, and the right most period and comma on the right display also will not light. Not sure if that's related, but I figured I should mention it.

Quoted from DumbAss:

That never lights up during the digit portion of the test. It should light up in the segment portion of the test for either the strobes or the segments.

I just fixed my U25 issue and I got a board boot. However there's a strobe problem now. Before dealing with that (using the tests to show the problem) ...

I did verify that the software does not appear to illuminate the final display strobe (16) in ANY of the sequence of tests so the dot and comma on that display should never illuminate.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-all-comma-segments-lit-on-left-display-pinled?tu=dumbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.