Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So, my $550 Earthshaker has issues and the biggest one so far is the discovery that it has a System 11 CPU. (As in NOT an A, B or C.) Yes, it has the 7-segment single digit readout instead of the 3-led system in the later versions. My question is can it really work in my game? If so, are major hacks required? Whatever the problems are in this thing they are far from new. Whatever problems I go to fix have obviously been tried many times before and just keep happening. (The same components have been replaced several times.) The easy option, of course is to buy a rebuilt or Rottendog replacement. If it is salvageable, I would send it out to someone who can diagnose deeper than I because all I seem to be able to do is treat the same symptoms everyone before me has. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Does your MPU work? Does the pin boot and at least go into attract mode?

I am not very familiar with system 11 systems, but I think the earlier boards will work in all of the later system 11 games. The earliest system 11 boards had the most parts and later boards removed more and more sections. If you try to use and earlier board in a later pin some connectors will just not be used.

I know I was very happy that my Pinbot came with a system 11 MPU board in it (I know some need it, but mine did not, it was a later replacement), I was able to steal that board and put it into a dead High Speed that needed it. I don't think a system 11 replacement board is available yet, I know when I stole the board from the Pinbot one was not, but system 11a boards were available. So the Pinbot got a new Rottendog board and I had two working pins.

This seems to be not that uncommon to find original system 11 board in later system 11 pins that don't "need" the earlier board. I won't name any pins in particular, but if you look at the other games that used original system 11 boards only HS seems to be a popular title. I think many of the early system 11 games were cannibalized for boards for later, better earning titles. Just a random thought, perhaps an operator can chime in.

But if it were my Earthshaker, I would buy a Rottendog board and sell your original system 11 board so someone can get an early pin that needs one and does not have a replacement available. I got a good price for my "dead" system 11 board. I would think you could get a very good price if yours is working, it would probably cover most of the cost of a new MPU.

Hopefully a new MPU will eliminate some of your problems and get your pin working.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks, that all sounds good. It boots into attract mode and will play games with a few missing components. (No drop target reset, a locked on pop-bumper(currently disconnected), it keeps blowing Q-32 and it never reads switch #28.) Other than that, it's a terrific game! LOL

#4 10 years ago

If you go into switch test mode do you see the drop targets down? Have you checked the leaf switch under the pop bumper to see if it is stuck closed?

#5 10 years ago

Great game at a great price. Just start with one problem at a time. I would go with vectordreams suggestion and then go from there.

#6 10 years ago

In switch test it sees the left and right targets but not the middle. Yup, checked the leaf switch. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-advice-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.