Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wiredoug
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a strange problem which just started, when I turn the game on the credits go to 77 and the match goes to 70
( no matter what number matched last ) . Besides that the high score to date is incorrect ( the display is garbled ) When I go through the diagnose most numbers are garbled! But when it goes through the display one and three counts correctly &clearly and two and four count correctly and clearly. This is a "78" Charlie's Angels which still has the original battery. ( I know I gotta change it out, but there is no damage as of yet..I feel this is a battery issue but can't be certain. Has anyone ever have this happen?? Just a side note, when I go through the diagnos and reset everything, all seems to work fine. Any input will be appreciated....

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Doggy:

still has the original battery.

Change that thing *immediately*. That battery has destroyed mountains of boards. When it leaks, it will be too late. It's best not to wait for an unstable 30-year-old time bomb to go off.

Wonky memory behavior can indicate power issues with the RAM chip, or a RAM chip failure. If it's an AMI-branded chip, chip failure is more likely, so it will need to be desoldered and replaced.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Change that thing *immediately*

I got that pesky battery out.. Thanks for the heads up. I want to put a new battery back in and see if my original problem is solved. Looks like I just solder the positive to the positive and the negitive to the negitive. When I desoldered the battery it was soldered on by 4 legs one was the positive and one was the negitive. I believe the other two were soldered on just to hold the battery in place is this correct?? Last question, ( may sound ignorant, but I'm a newbie ) what size battery should I use for a replacement? I'm going to solder two longer wires on the board and place the batteries away from the board and secure it to the bottom of the box away from everything. Any helpful hints would be appreciated....

#4 3 years ago

Do not just hook up a new battery, follow directions below...

Taken from http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/#battery

This fix is mandatory. All Gottlieb System1 boards use a recharagable "DataSentry" or AA nicad 3.6 volt battery. When these batteries don't get used regularly, they can leak the alkaline potassium hydroxide and volatile gases that destroy the CPU board components and connectors. Removal of a 30+ year old rechargable battery is mandatory!

Can I run with No battery?
Yes you can, but it's not suggested. System1 games with no battery will show some pretty wacky high scores and credit numbers. It's often confusing, making you think there's a problem when there isn't one. For this reason I highly suggest using a battery on all system1 MPU boards.

New Battery
To replace the original battery, add a remote three "AA" battery pack and a 1N4004 or 1N5817 diode (banded diode end first connected to the pcb "+" pin, and the non-banded end connected to the positive lead of the battery pack). The diode is used so the recharging circuit doesn't try to charge the AA batteries. Also the game can work with no battery, but it can also exhibit some strange behavior without the battery. So my advice is to have a remote battery holder with AA batteries and a charging block diode.

A remote battery pack with a blocking diode. The red battery pack wire
goes to the "+" pad on the CPU board.

#5 3 years ago

Thank You for the info. Where can I get that battery holder and blocking diode? Would pinball resource carry it?

#6 3 years ago

Don't do a battery pack. Alkaline batteries leak. A lithium coin cell battery is a better option--it's less likely to leak.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Installing_a_Coin_Cell_Battery

#7 3 years ago

After you put a new battery, I have had a lot of luck with a ram reset on these.. ( follow the procedure in the manual to reset all audits)

even had one that would only boot up every second time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 289.00
$ 49.00
€ 8.40
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Marais, MB
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet Parts
Maple Street Sign Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
€ 3.70
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside