Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160503_120724_(resized).jpg
20160407_232037_(resized).jpg
20160407_231405_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampshroom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello Pinside members,
i want to first thank you all for the help and tec advice that has been provide by you all throughout the years. i have been reading and gathering information here for the last few years, and have always found the soulution to my questions through someone else's posts. i have recently gotten my hands on a very nice Solar Ride and now need your help.

when i first got it it wasnt working. i knew from general reading that Sys 1 machines have some terrible grounding problems and the card edge connectors are about as bad as they come. i thought this was going to be my main problem and i would have to be reground boards and repining edge connectors for days before i would see this thing boot up. funny it was only a fuse. new fuse in and the game booted up fine.
20160407_232037_(resized).jpg20160407_232037_(resized).jpg
after having gotten it to boot i found nearly everything to work except the right hole kickout coil. looked under pf to find that the coil was completely melted.
20160407_231405_(resized).jpg20160407_231405_(resized).jpg
i replaced the coil and also replaced the transistor on the driver board and now the right hole kickout works great.
20160503_120724_(resized).jpg20160503_120724_(resized).jpg

since having replaced a fuse and a coil everything has been working well enough to be playable. so iv been playing and cleaning and enjoying it. iv had it freeze on me a few times and have to power cycle it to get it going again,i am assuming this is part of the ground issues or edge connectors (let me know what you think). also sometimes when i power it on it screams at me through the speaker, very loud screach that wont stop untill you turn it off.

the problem that im having now that i need your help with is the drop target reset coil has stopped fireing. one day it worked and the next day nothing. i started trouble shooting and found that when i touch the coil with a game in progress, just the slightest touch on the paper wraper, it awards 10 points and makes the associated 10 point sound. i assumed it was a shorted coil and the windings had lost there insulation and need to be replaced. i ordered another coil, got it the other day and installed, and the exact same thing. so before i order new transistor and predriver transistor i thought i would ask you guys...

P.S.-it has a first gen niwumpf mpu...if this is at all a factor in my problem?

there are a few other small problems ill be asking about but for now im focusing on the drop target coil issue

Thanks
Swampshroom

#3 7 years ago

I have read the system 1 repair guide thoroughly. I know exactly the transistor and predrive transistor that power that coil the only problem is my cheap HF DMM just died. I have a new DMM on order already and it should be here in a few days. Just wondering if there is anything else associated with this problem I could look into in the meantime. I'm going to start on the grounding mods tonight

#4 7 years ago

In my efforts to learn I was hopeing to find out why the 10 points and 10 point sound from just squeezing or touching the coil wrapper. If the coil is good and all the windings are insulated why would this do anything? Just curious more than anything. Any ideas?

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

I really hate admitting that I'm an idiot but it's what must be done. Not having ever worked on a system 1 game and only having solar ride for a few weeks I didn't realize there was a fuse under the play field. I feel like such an noob. New fuse in and coil works flawlessly. So the coil not firing and the sound being made when pushing on the wrapper of the coil are completely unrelated. I found that the switch that sits behind the drop target was so close that the littlest push on the coil flexed the drop target hosing and closed the switch making the sound and awarding points. This is what started me down the wrong path, thinking the coil was shorted. Before finding the fuse I stupidly replaced the coil, the transistor and predrive transistor. Lesson learned I suppose. Hope you can all learn something from my mistake also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampshroom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-solar-ride-drop-target-reset-coil-help?tu=swampshroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.