Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_1017 (resized).jpg
IMG_1016 (resized).jpg
IMG_1015 (resized).jpg
IMG_1014 (resized).jpg
IMG_1013 (resized).jpg
IMG_1012 (resized).jpg
IMG_1011 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_dog_coin_op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

This is likely an easy fix. If it isn't a misaligned 10 point switch it will be a diode failure on one of your diode boards. See the 3 little boards on the bottom of your last photo that have nothing but diodes on them? Turn off the game and set your multimeter to diode test and test each diode one at a time. Put the mm leads on each side of each diode and the swap the leads. They should all show the same results. If they don't, you have a bad one that needs replaced.

#5 4 years ago

Are you saying your game has an old school chime box? Is that by choice or because the original sound card failed? My guess is it failed and this was the only fix available at the time. Times have changed. That sound card is being made again. I recommend you snag one. Here is the link:

https://www.flippp.fr/pifx.php

I own this game so I'm very familiar with it. Please upload a photo of your boards and a shot of this chime box. We'll get this sorted out.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

Thanks for that! I followed your suggestion, and have good news and bad news. Good news, found one diode that was bad (no reading), and replaced it. Bad news, game still scores randomly, and its a lot of scoring, more than before, 50 to 80 points at a time in 10 pt increments, some times I get the 10 pt chime with the random scoring. All I have to do is hit the flipper button(s), and the random scoring begins. Also, see picture, the two areas highlighted I thought were 10 point scores do not score at all. Any other suggestions very welcomed!![quoted image]

Can you post a photo of your game boards in the back box? Also, if you disconnect the chime box does the scoring still run? I would also bypass all of the 10 point switches by inserting thin cardboard in the gap (like a piece of business card) and don’t forget the ones on your pop bumpers. Tape the cardboard in if you have to. There are 2 switches on each pop bumper. The top one is the “pop” while the lower one does the scoring. Report back with your findings.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

Will do..
and
maybe this is nothing, but diodes tested all measured around 0.2 on MM except for bad one (0). Replacement diode read 0.5 vs 0.2, could this have anything to do with increased sensitivity of random scoring?

The different reading tells me you didn’t replace the diode with the same type. Gottlieb’s don’t like that usually. Try to source the correct part. It might help. Try running the game with that diode removed. Does the score quit running?

#13 4 years ago

I would also recommend replacing cable A1-J5 to A3-J1 with a shinny new one and re-pin connector A1-J6. These edge connectors are bad and by bad I mean really bad. They ware out super fast.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

3 wires to chime box disconnected, points still score, random points still tally.
ALL contacts that I could find separated with folded paper, random points still tally
by the way, noticed when chimes did sound with random point tally, the lower chime would ding once (10 pts?), then if field bumped or flipper activated, higher pitched chime would ding once (100 pts??)...but random points added seemed like only 50 to 80 points, 10 at a time...
??????

Were you able to find the scoring switch on each of the 3 pop bumpers? Can’t remember if they are 10 or 100 points but you said they weren’t scoring so they might be suspect. That is a fancy mpu. Haven’t purchased one yet but I would think it has decent testing capabilities. Does it offer up any potential problems in test mode?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

perfect,thanks!
so these 1N270 diodes are harder to find than the 1N4004.... found some say 1N270 Germanium Diodes 40mA 100V DO-7 IN270 1N-270 Glass Axial Diodes for TV FM AM Radio Detection
2 concerns- says 40mA, but my current ones reading 0.2, problem? and these say used for TV FM AM radio detection...so can it be used for my purposes? Sorry for the probably stupid questions, I have little knowledge on these things, thanks!

Those should work. A lot of these Gottlieb parts are getting hard to source. I myself just bought a old system 1 wire harness off eBay just to get the obsolete parts off of it.

1 week later
#26 4 years ago

How are you testing the diodes? Are you doing like in this video?

Use this method to test all of the diodes on those 3 little diode boards. My guess is you have a second bad one or a switch is shorting out somewhere.

#28 4 years ago

Sure, your meter should have a continuity test. Just clip your leads to both sides of the switch. It should have no reading when the switch is at rest and tone when the switch is closed. If it tones when it is at rest you have an issue. Hook up your leads and knock on the playfield in different places. If it doesn’t tone, move on to the next switch. Check them all including the ones on the pop bumpers. I use small alligators clips to hold the leads in place.

#30 4 years ago

No tone is very rare finding. I'm thinking you didn't have good contact. Clip the MMD leads to the back side of each switch where the wires are attached and try again. At that point you should be able to apply pressure on the switch and get a tone. Besides, no tone isn't your problem. You have at least one that is registering during play randomly. I was hoping you would find one toning while pressure wasn't applied.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 7.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_dog_coin_op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-roller-disco-random-scoring?tu=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.