Dear Lloyd

Our resident pinball guru Lloyd Olsen answers Pinside readers questions!

Edit this
System 1 Fan

Letter received on Sunday December 23rd 2012.

Sunday December 23rd 2012

I need some advice/troubleshooting?

I have owned a Gottleib Hulk machine for a few years & had no problems until 1 day I put a LED bulb in one of the playfield lights to see how it looked (great) I put the regular bulb back in & it blew. I replaced it & it worked fine for awhile (at least 8hours for a party) then the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse & they kept blowing (with none of any of the playfield lights working). I tried taking all the lights out & replacing the bulbs 1 by 1 but the fuse would blow also. I lost power to the game for awhile due to Hurricane Sandy. Then I was able to get a local pinball guy to come & look at it. Of course he shows up & we put all new bulbs in it & it works perfectly, no blown fuses ect...

Here is my problem, when he left & I did a diagnostic on it & it gave me an error code (40- #10 point switch (5), and then at the end of diagostic it gives me another code (70- #4 rollover switch).

The game plays fine, all the lights light up & the 4x rollover works & scores properly.

But...When I start it up I get a backwards C in the scoring display area with a number and it won't work until I add a credit. But then it will show the 50+ credits that are on the machine (somehow added 99 credits when running through the diagnostics). The credit thing has happened before but I don't know how I did it & can never duplicate it when I want to.

Anyway..I can keep adding the credit & working around it but I don't want to cause any other problems & I want to have a machine that works the way it's supposed to (and did).

I would appreciate any insight anyone might have. I'm really a noobie at repairs & if I have to pay the guy to come back I will, but thought I would try to get an answer here & see if it's something simple I can do myself..Thx

Dear System 1

Boy oh boy you have me on this one.

If blowing the light fuse returns, you likely have a bad socket. Could have been a bad bulb. hopefully it doesn't come back and you have to disconnect sockets one at a time until it stops blowing a fuse.

Your other problems with switches and jack potting credits, sounds like a flaky CPU. It could be something out in the game back feeding to the CPU on a switch line, but my gut tells me come the end of the day it is something on the board.

If I liked the game, had $180 laying around, I think I'd go with a new CPU and be done with it.

If your repair guy is a good sport, you might run it by him and see what he thinks.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help.

LTG : )

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.