Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by chrisnack
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm working on a Solar Ride and am having some troubles with coils firing on boot.

The machine resets correctly however before showing the displays, both out kicker coils fire in sequence. They do not lock on, just one fires then right after, the second one fires.

The credits reads "72" and the ball-in-play reads "70".

Upon starting a game, one of the kickers fires every few seconds and scores the appropriate number of points. It continues to do this until I shut the machine down. All other switches do appear to register points as well if I hit them.

If I start a game without the driver board connected, the points are still scored over and over which points to the mpu.

To confirm that the mpu was the issue, I've installed a good working replacement and the game plays as expected, with no coil fire on boot.

If I remove the game PROM the coils no longer fire on boot but of course I can't play the game at that point.

Upon running the 13th diagnostic, everything appears to fire as expected however switches 30-35 and 40-44 are detected as closed.

Diagnostics 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 all show garbled numbers. However all displays check out in diagnostics 11 and 12.

I have done all ground mods, bypassed the tilt, and replaced a bad inverter at Z9. I have also tested Z29, Z27, Z8, Z28, Z6, and Z7.

I have swapped out U4 from another board with the same results.

All pulses are correct on TC1.

If someone could perhaps point me toward a test point, that would be great.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Before going any further, have you zeroed out the game's audit memory? Sounds like you have some garbled data in memory. Instructions are at http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#intro

"To zero out the audit memory, turn the game on, and press the white diagnostic button inside the coin door. This will show "0" in the credit display, and the audit information in all the score displays. To zero out this memory position, press the push button mounted on the CPU board, and the score displays should all go to "000000". Press the coin door diagnostic button once to advance to the next audit number, and again zero this out using the CPU board push button. Repeat this for audits 0 to 10. Press the coin door diagnostic button again, and then exit the audits by either powering the game off, or by opening the slam switch (or closing a tilt switch). This process will clear the game's audit memory."

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Before going any further, have you zeroed out the game's audit memory? Sounds like you have some garbled data in memory. Instructions are at http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#intro
"To zero out the audit memory, turn the game on, and press the white diagnostic button inside the coin door. This will show "0" in the credit display, and the audit information in all the score displays. To zero out this memory position, press the push button mounted on the CPU board, and the score displays should all go to "000000". Press the coin door diagnostic button once to advance to the next audit number, and again zero this out using the CPU board push button. Repeat this for audits 0 to 10. Press the coin door diagnostic button again, and then exit the audits by either powering the game off, or by opening the slam switch (or closing a tilt switch). This process will clear the game's audit memory."

Ah, right, thank you. I've now cleared all of the audit memory and now all zeroes show instead of garbled numbers, however the game is still behaving incorrectly as described above.

#4 8 years ago

Try the PROM from the bad board in the known working board, and see if the problem follows the PROM chip.

#5 8 years ago

I actually only have one PROM which I transfer between boards. The PROM operates as expected in the known working board.

#6 8 years ago

Sounds like a problem with one of the matrix chips or the switch matrix then, or perhaps a bad trace or edge connector.

The garbage on the "diagnostics" is normal... 1-10 are entirely bookkeeping entries, like number of coins dropped since last reset, high score to date, the three "extra ball or credit" tiers for scoring purposes. I would assume the suspect MPU has no battery, or the battery is dead. If it's present, has it started leaking?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Sounds like a problem with one of the matrix chips or the switch matrix then, or perhaps a bad trace or edge connector.

This is what I had suspected. I'm fairly certain my U5 is bad but I was hoping perhaps something else may be the problem. I could pull a good chip from one of my working boards although I'm not really willing to risk it with those not being in production anymore.

Quoted from LynnInDenver:

The garbage on the "diagnostics" is normal... 1-10 are entirely bookkeeping entries, like number of coins dropped since last reset, high score to date, the three "extra ball or credit" tiers for scoring purposes. I would assume the suspect MPU has no battery, or the battery is dead. If it's present, has it started leaking?

Yes, sorry, I have heavily utilized of http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1 in getting this far. The battery appears to be in good shape as the scores are restored at "000000" when restarting.

Thanks you guys for all of your help!

3 weeks later
#8 8 years ago

Wow, don't envy you. I'm glad i have ni-wumpf's and pascal boards i can use to test machines. The test routines on the original MPU is just awful/useless So much nicer on the Pascal board.

I've got a stack of MPU's i need to go through and test to see if they are good. Are you following this guide to test the boards?
http://home.scarlet.be/~nb010944/syscpu/esyscpu.htm

Curious if you are using that or another source.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-coils-fire-on-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.