• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MaxAsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello All - I picked up a Gottlieb System 1 Genie recently, and have run into some issues. I'm going through the repair guides, but figured I would see what people thought as I wait for parts and such. When I power it on, I get a variety of results:

* Just GI, no boot

* It will boot after the 5 second delay as expected, displays go all zeroes, and I can credit up and play (though it acts strangely, more on that below)

* GI comes on, but a bunch of inserts are lit as well. The game won't boot and all the lights (including the inserts that shouldn't be on) stay lit

Sometimes it will boot fine a few times in a row, other times I have to turn it off and on a dozen or more times to get it to boot up. Some of the strange issues once it does boot include:

- The game will only take a maximum of "1" Credit

- Regardless of DIP switch settings, the game is always 5 ball, and I always have to trigger the coin door switch 5 times in order to get the 1 credit. It's as if the DIP switches do nothing at all

- The game normally plays great once it boots, but on rare occasion it will act oddly, like giving me a bunch of advance bonus triggers for a single target hit, racking up way too many points. This is not common, but happens now and then.

Some things I've done (NOTE: The boards were extremely clean)

* The original Data Sentry battery was there, but had not leaked. I removed it and installed a remote battery pack.

* I also replaced C1 on the power supply, so that's nice and new. I pulled all the connectors and cleaned the edge connectors on the boards (they were already really clean, but just in case).

I have not repinned all the conncetors yet, I needed to order the connectors, which arrive soon. In the mean time, anyone experience these odd behaviors? Suggestions? RAM maybe?

Thanks!

#3 4 years ago

Hmm, that's not encouraging. Hopefully I can figure it out!

Minor update to the above: I also did the ground modifications for the CPU and driver boards.

#4 4 years ago

Just found this on flippers.com's repair site for System 1:

Symptom: Game will register only one credit when coins are deposited and the book-keeping memory appears to be blanked.

Solution: Power supply capacitor C2 (220pf) limits high frequency noise on the +5VDC supply. If this capacitor opens, the bookkeeping functions will be inhibited.

I'll look into that in case it's related.

#6 4 years ago

Verified I have 5.04VDC and 12.12VDC on the MPU at the capacitors as expected, so the power incoming looks good.

#7 4 years ago

Started repinning connectors last night. I'm not confident that will help though. Does anyone have other suggestions on what might need to be looked at? Thanks

#9 4 years ago

The battery had not leaked at all, everything looked great. Already been replaced and I checked everything, it all tested fine... but I'll keep that in mind. I guess I could borrow a friends System 1 board and swap them to see if that helps perhaps?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MaxAsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-boot-dip-issues?tu=MaxAsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.