Hello All - I picked up a Gottlieb System 1 Genie recently, and have run into some issues. I'm going through the repair guides, but figured I would see what people thought as I wait for parts and such. When I power it on, I get a variety of results:
* Just GI, no boot
* It will boot after the 5 second delay as expected, displays go all zeroes, and I can credit up and play (though it acts strangely, more on that below)
* GI comes on, but a bunch of inserts are lit as well. The game won't boot and all the lights (including the inserts that shouldn't be on) stay lit
Sometimes it will boot fine a few times in a row, other times I have to turn it off and on a dozen or more times to get it to boot up. Some of the strange issues once it does boot include:
- The game will only take a maximum of "1" Credit
- Regardless of DIP switch settings, the game is always 5 ball, and I always have to trigger the coin door switch 5 times in order to get the 1 credit. It's as if the DIP switches do nothing at all
- The game normally plays great once it boots, but on rare occasion it will act oddly, like giving me a bunch of advance bonus triggers for a single target hit, racking up way too many points. This is not common, but happens now and then.
Some things I've done (NOTE: The boards were extremely clean)
* The original Data Sentry battery was there, but had not leaked. I removed it and installed a remote battery pack.
* I also replaced C1 on the power supply, so that's nice and new. I pulled all the connectors and cleaned the edge connectors on the boards (they were already really clean, but just in case).
I have not repinned all the conncetors yet, I needed to order the connectors, which arrive soon. In the mean time, anyone experience these odd behaviors? Suggestions? RAM maybe?