(Topic ID: 274504)

System 1 board with a little bit of corrosion...

By mfishell

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2846 (resized).jpg
IMG_2841 (resized).jpg
IMG_2843 (resized).jpg
IMG_2844 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Picked up a Gottlieb Cleopatra yesterday. It's a restore project. I'm examining the machine to figure out what it needs so I can come up with a game plan.

I looked at the MPU board where the battery holder used to be. Obviously it has acid damage.

Asking for recommendations, do I:
1. Go with this board, clean it up knowing it may or not work and know it's going to fail
2. Get a replacement System 1 board that's been tested
3. Get one of the modern replacement boards like a Ni-Wumpf or Pascal

IMG_2841 (resized).jpgIMG_2841 (resized).jpgIMG_2843 (resized).jpgIMG_2843 (resized).jpgIMG_2844 (resized).jpgIMG_2844 (resized).jpgIMG_2846 (resized).jpgIMG_2846 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I'd go with a new board.

Unless you can do the repairs yourself, you'll likely be money ahead.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd go with a new board.
Unless you can do the repairs yourself, you'll likely be money ahead.

I can do board level work, this is just looking like a pandoras box if you know what I mean. And in the end, it may not work

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from mfishell:

I can do board level work, this is just looking like a pandoras box if you know what I mean. And in the end, it may not work

That was my thinking. And what about down the road even after repairs, in which you'll discover more damage.

#5 3 years ago

I might spend a couple hours on that to do some cleanup and replace a few components just far enough to see if it will boot and if the switch matrix works.

If it boots and the switch matrix works, then it might be usable with some more work. If it won't boot or if the switch matrix is unresponsive, then there's not really much point to digging into it further since there are some good aftermarket MPUs available.

I like to go with pascal's MPU since it adds a number of nice features (like attract mode light shows, increased bonus count down speed, ball save, plus a few other bells & whistles).

#6 3 years ago

The pictures don't show it, but have you looked at the backside of the board? There may be damage as well along the edges where the connectors fit. Sometimes very bad.

#7 3 years ago

Go with Pascal's boards. Do not waste your time.

Yves

#8 3 years ago

That does look pretty crusty. If you have free time give it a go cleaning it up. I wouldn't mess with looking for a working original board to put in if you fail, just get replacement boards of your favorite flavor (pascal, niwumpf, lisy) and replace.

Make sure you update the driver board with protection diodes:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Driver_Board_Issues

If you decide to replace the whole set of boards with the pascal x4 don't bother with the power supply or driver boards.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Go with Pascal's boards. Do not waste your time.
Yves

I agree. With the original Gottlieb cpu board, you never know when one or more of the spider chips will suddenly die on you.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from mfishell:

Asking for recommendations, do I:

Or do it yourself and try a LISY1 https://lisy.dev/lisy1.html

User 'lint' has just ordered 5 PCBs and offer some spare ones

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-lisy-a-replacement-mpu-for-gottlieb-bally-amp-stern#post-5779615

#11 3 years ago

I've had good results getting these boards going as long as the corrosion
isn't too extensive. Have yet to buy one of the replacement boards.
If you've got some skills working on boards give it a shot. It helps
to have bench supplies, a scope and function generator so you can
do all of the work on the bench.
Steve

#12 3 years ago

Buy a ni wumph. Great support, skill shot and many other options on newest version.

#13 3 years ago

And, ni wumpf is an American owned company

#14 3 years ago

Honestly; I was looking for a train wreck... but I'm hard pressed to see much corrosion.
I've seen much worse be functional.

If you have the money; and a lack of time... buying a replacement board is a fair option.
I however, tend to appreciate that the original boards are still in the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-board-with-a-little-bit-of-corrosion-?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.