• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1703 (resized).JPG
IMG_1701 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have Gottlieb Arean that plys 100% other than no sound and the dip swithes are not working after the switch matrix was shorted to solenoid voltage. I have a different thread with regards to the sound problem.

So this is what I have so far.

No dip switches are registering. As it says in the manual, when I go to test mode turn on all the even number and turn off the odd dip switches it displays 00 00 00 00 instead of AA AA AA AA. When I turn off the even numbers and turn on the odd numbers it again shows 00 00 00 00 00 instead of 55 55 55 55 55.

So obviously the microprocessor is not seeing any of the switches. I have already replaced U4, and z14. Other than DIP switches not working and no sound, the game plays 100%. The diodes associated with the switch banks test good. I have checked traces between z15 and the the diodes that are connected to the switch banks and they test good. I assume Z33 to be good since the rest of the game and lamps play correctly. Z13 tests good and z15 has both high inputs and outputs in attract mode. (suspicious of Z15 since it is connected to all the switches)

suggestions on what would keep the micro from seeing any of the switches?

(also if anyone wants to explain the function of z15 and z33 and how they interact with the rest of the switch matrix I would appreciate it.)

thanks

IMG_1701 (resized).JPGIMG_1701 (resized).JPG
IMG_1703 (resized).JPGIMG_1703 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

If regular switches are registering (e.g. "plys 100%") then U4 is not the problem.

Z12F selects whether you are reading DIP switches or external switches. If his output is always high then all DIP switches will read as zeros. It needs to go low in order to read DIP switches.

Three things need to happen when reading DIP switches:
1 - switch matrix strobes must be disabled or pulled high. This is done at the output of U4, Z12A, Z12B and Z11.
2 - Switch enable line must be pulled low (low for DIP switches, high for external switches). Switch enable is Z12F or pin 12 of Z12.
3 - One of the switch column strobes must be pulled low from Z33 to enable one of the columns of DIP switches. It does this one column at a time in order to read four sets of eight switches.

#1 and #3 appear to work as other items that share these resources sound like they're working.
However, #2 -- it sounds like the switch enable line is staying high resulting in all zeros being read from the switches.
When Z12 pin 12 is high - it forces all four DIP switch columns to remain high (requires resistors R34 - R41 to pull these high).
This disables the DIP switch inputs such that they are all high, Z13 and Z14 invert the inputs so they read as lows. Watch pins 13 and 12 of Z12 to see if they change state while reading DIP switches.

#3 6 years ago

Ed thanks for the reply very helpful.

I did not see the output pin 12 on Z12 go low when reading dip switches. (I am reading dips in test mode. Hitting the credit button to have them read and observing any changes on logic probe). I also did not see pin 16 on U5 go high at any time.

On zZ12 if I force pin 13 high with 5 volts I get nothing on pin 12 on the logic probe. No light or sound. The chip was already socketed so I substituted another and got the same thing. I don't understand that. What do you suggest?

#4 6 years ago

I found that pin 6 of Z15 switch is not toggling hi/lo when I ground the output of z12. All other inputs and outputs of Z15 are acting normal. So I will place an order to get a replacement when GPE opens on Jan 2 and see where that takes us.

I still don't understand why when pin thirteen is forced high on z12 pin twelve does not go low. It is dead, no output at all. If anyone can explain this I would appreciate it.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

I still don't understand why when pin thirteen is forced high on z12 pin twelve does not go low. It is dead, no output at all. If anyone can explain this I would appreciate it.

One of two things...
1 -- Z12 is bad. Output can fail either way - either stuck high or low. Sometimes can even fail in "no output" mode where it isn't driven high or low.
2 -- Something else external to Z12 is overpowering Z12's output. For example, a short to +5V anywhere along the path of the signal can overpower the Z12 output.

#2 looks to be a little less likely in this instance.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

One of two things...
1 -- Z12 is bad. Output can fail either way - either stuck high or low. Sometimes can even fail in "no output" mode where it isn't driven high or low.
2 -- Something else external to Z12 is overpowering Z12's output. For example, a short to +5V anywhere along the path of the signal can overpower the Z12 output.
#2 looks to be a little less likely in this instance.

I changed Z12 with another known working chip and I had the same reading. No output of pin 12 when pin 13 is forced high.

So I am left to suspect that something external is causing this.

However I don't understand how this happens. I understand how a short to ground will drag a pin low. I would assume a short to 5v would force a pin high...not cause no output at all. Could you explain further how this happens? Any obvious places to start checking?

Thank for the help

#7 6 years ago

Did you socket Z12?
If so - pull him out. Use about a 100 ohm resistor -- one end of resistor to ground, other end of resistor to pin 12. This will force pins 2, 5, 9 and 12 of Z15 low. See if it does.

Pin 13 (output of U5 pin 16) -- I believe you said he is working properly and you see it go high when supposed to be reading DIP switches and low when reading other switches. Careful when pulling him high so you don't damage U5.

By a short - I was referring to the output of Z12 - his pin 12. Follow his output traces to Z15 and make sure they are good and clean with no shorts. Shorting pin 12 to 5V would force entire signal to 5V - no determining if he outputs anything as the short over-rides his output.
Not sure when you say "No output of pin 12 when pin 13 is forced high". Does it register as high? Does it register as low? Other? What are you using to determine high/low/other?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Did you socket Z12?
If so - pull him out. Use about a 100 ohm resistor -- one end of resistor to ground, other end of resistor to pin 12. This will force pins 2, 5, 9 and 12 of Z15 low. See if it does.
Pin 13 (output of U5 pin 16) -- I believe you said he is working properly and you see it go high when supposed to be reading DIP switches and low when reading other switches. Careful when pulling him high so you don't damage U5.
By a short - I was referring to the output of Z12 - his pin 12. Follow his output traces to Z15 and make sure they are good and clean with no shorts. Shorting pin 12 to 5V would force entire signal to 5V - no determining if he outputs anything as the short over-rides his output.
Not sure when you say "No output of pin 12 when pin 13 is forced high". Does it register as high? Does it register as low? Other? What are you using to determine high/low/other?

I have grounded Z12 before (with the chip in) and 2, 5, 9 and 12 of Z15 all went low. I had to do this when I was measuring the outputs of Z15 and this is where I found that output pin 6 of Z15 was not toggling high/low like the other outputs pin 3, pin 8, pin 11.

With regards to output pin 16 on U5...actually I said in earlier post that I have NEVER seen it go high (this must be my problem) thus pin 13 on z12 stays high and pin 12 doesn't go low and the dips never get read.

i will change u5 and see if this doesn't fix things.

with regards to your questions at the end.......When I pulled pin 13 high on z12 of course pin 12 should go low. But what I got was nothing when measuring with my logic probe. Meaning ...dead. No high or low light indicated, and no high or low sound. Nothing. I substituted a known good chip ( z12 is socketed) and got the same result. Nothing. This I don't understand. I tested multiple times and made sure I was on solid with the probe on the pin.

Could forcing a Z12 pin 13 high with a stuck low pin 16 at U5 somehow cause this?? I wouldn't think so but.....

thanks for the replys. it has really helped my understanding of the switch matrix and how the dip switches are read

#9 6 years ago

Did you do any other repair as a result of putting solenoid power on the switch matrix? Or is the dipswitch read problem the only resulting damage?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Did you do any other repair as a result of putting solenoid power on the switch matrix? Or is the dipswitch read problem the only resulting damage?

The game would not boot afterwards and game sounds were played incorrectly then lost entirely.

I changed out u4, u6, z12, z14, z34. I now boots and plays 100%. Except no sound. The YRoms are very hot, and the board is not booting so I assume they have failed. The 6502s test good. The dips are not currently being read.....

#11 6 years ago

If you don't get activity on U5 pin 16 (dip read enable) then the 6532 may be bad.

As you may realize, this pin will only change state for a brief moment when it goes to read the dip switches.

#12 6 years ago

I'm assuming he is looking for activity on the read enable when going into test 19 (DIP switch settings). Logic probe should be low 99% of the time with a brief spike high when reading the switches. Hoping his logic probe can keep up with it as this is something far easier to watch with a logic analyzer.

I think the OP needs to start over on this one and don't go pulling any signal high or low -- just observe:
U5 pin 16 -- it should be reading a low with the logic probe always (nearly always?).
Put machine in to DIP switch test, did you see it blip low (as it reads the switches)?
(I don't remember if it does a continuous scan of DIP switches or just one scan)
If these are correct, move to next position. Look for same results at pin 13 of Z12. (I assume Z12 has good power)
If these are correct, move to third position. Look for opposite results at pin 12 of Z12.
If these are correct, look for same results at pin 2 of Z15.

2 weeks later
#13 6 years ago

This issue has been resolved and the game is now playing 100% including recognizing the dip switch settings. Z15 was the issue.

Prior to pulling any switches high or low I did start with observation. However I thought pin 16 at U5 was ALWAYS low using the logic probe. Upon checking again I could hear the slightest change in tone even though the light never left "low". This change in tone (but not light) was replicated at pin 13 of Z12 and same at pin 12 of Z12. Since I had misread the probe because the change was so fast, I was thrown off.

So now I really suspect Z15 since it is last in line to the dip switches. (The rest of game plays correctly so Z33 must be good...but I checked it anyway...it was)

Just to verify I tested Z15 by mometarily grounding the output of z12. I found that pin 6 of Z15 switch is not toggling hi/lo when this happens. All other inputs and outputs of Z15 tested normal.

Socketed and changed out Z15 and now all is better.

Thanks for the help Cactus Jack and GPE....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys80b-dip-switch-issue-after-short and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.