Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Grizlyrig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Working on a Gottlieb count down (original boards), and I noticed when any of the displays 'change' they all flicker slightly. Most noticeable is when a player is up and one of the displays flashes to indicate that player, all the others flicker a bit in time with the flashing, but it also happens when you score and the display increases.

I figured the voltage was probably low or the capacitor was bad (since it still had the original psu board), so I put in a new rottendog psu board, but it didn't help at all. (in fact I feel it may have made it slightly worse but I don't want to swap the old one in to compare again...)

Looking at the schematics I don't see any other capacitors anywhere or anything like that. Is there anything else that could be a problem?

#2 5 years ago

Door slam switch problem? There is a way to jump it on the cpu board

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I figured the voltage was probably low or the capacitor was bad (since it still had the original psu board), so I put in a new rottendog psu board

Have all ground mods been done to this machine?
Have you checked the voltage with at the PS with a multimeter? And compare it to the displays to see if its jumpy or wandering or lost voltage in transit?
I also agree that the slam switch needs to be checked and better yet jumped.
-Mike

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Have all ground mods been done to this machine?

Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I also agree that the slam switch needs to be checked and better yet jumped.

I haven't done any of the board mods yet. Never needed them on any system 80 I've owned, so they haven't been high on my list for this (my first Sys1)

Wouldn't the slam tilt switch just cause the whole game to stop or reset? I don't understand what that would have to do with displays.

Quoted from Grizlyrig:Have you checked the voltage with at the PS with a multimeter?

All correct

Quoted from Grizlyrig:And compare it to the displays to see if its jumpy or wandering or lost voltage in transit?

Similar on the displays

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Wouldn't the slam tilt switch just cause the whole game to stop or reset?

That's what it was designed to do but it has caused more grief than anybody will type out, which is why a way around it was found.
Maybe it's worth cleaning the contacts of displays as well.
-Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys1-displays-flickering-not-strobing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.