• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231213_185726 (resized).jpg
20231213_190158 (resized).jpg
#1 7 months ago

I'm taking a fat L trying to get this pin fixed. Wondering if Pinside has any suggestions on where to go on having this fixed.

The game is rebooting once it's credited and the start button is pressed. The ball trough coil is fired (like half power baby fire) and then the game will reboot. Here's a video of the issue. I know the display segment on the right is dead too, I just got to hunt down the bad logic gate or bad connector.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8RTuEIgJOHo-Bz5Xg9M-LrqGOu8kcak/view?usp=sharing

Here's what I've tried doing so far...
- Recapped the PSU (+5V is solid, as far as my meter can tell). Even tried a aftermarket replacement to be sure, no change
- Recapped the reset board (board sitting to the right of the MPU
- Recapped the sound board (I've got no sound though, so maybe related?)
- Replaced the large filter cap in the cabinet for logic voltage (used a 15Kuf 25V, as recommended by pinwiki)
- Replaced game ROM's with a fresh set (both sound and game)
- Swapped the MPU with one from Haunted House (no change)

I've even disconnected basically everything, from lamps to coils, from the driver board and it still exhibits the same issue... I fell like there's something simple I'm missing. Maybe also the completely dead sound is related to the issue?

Any suggestions on where to go next on this would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

20231213_185726 (resized).jpg20231213_185726 (resized).jpg20231213_190158 (resized).jpg20231213_190158 (resized).jpg
#2 7 months ago

Just to eliminate one possibility, you should disconnect the reset board from the 40 pin connector on the MPU to see if the problem continues.

#3 7 months ago

Also, when you tried the Haunted House MPU did you change its system 80 ROMs to the System 80A's from the Alien Star along with the game EPROM?

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

Also, when you tried the Haunted House MPU did you change its system 80 ROMs to the System 80A's from the Alien Star along with the game EPROM?

Quoted from Mthomasslo:

Just to eliminate one possibility, you should disconnect the reset board from the 40 pin connector on the MPU to see if the problem continues.

Is there more ROM's on the board other than game ROM? I thought it was only the game ROM that needed to be changed out?

Yep, I pulled the wire soldered IC thing from the 40 pin IC socket and tried booting. It still did the same thing...

#5 7 months ago

The system roms are different between 80 and 80a.

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from Hana9so:

Is there more ROM's on the board other than game ROM? I thought it was only the game ROM that needed to be changed out?
Yep, I pulled the wire soldered IC thing from the 40 pin IC socket and tried booting. It still did the same thing...

As slochar mentioned, they are different. Unfortunately on the Haunted House board they are probably soldered in. They are the two 24 pin IC's just above the 3 40 pin 6532's in your picture

#7 7 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

The system roms are different between 80 and 80a.

Ah, i just did some reading. Seems like I need to de-solder U2 and U3 and swap those over as well. I'll go ahead and de-solder and socket them on both MPU's for testing.

#8 7 months ago

Both of the MPU's did exhibit the same symptom though. Does this issue sound MPU related though?

#9 7 months ago
Quoted from Hana9so:

Ah, i just did some reading. Seems like I need to de-solder U2 and U3 and swap those over as well. I'll go ahead and de-solder and socket them on both MPU's for testing.

To save you time and trouble in the future looking is bontango lisy boards. If you go with a pi option, you’ll have the option of using your phone browser as a troubleshooting tool.

#10 7 months ago

One last thing you can try..
On some System 80 games, they will boot without the game EPROM at all, and shutdown as soon as you try to play the game. You may want to remove the Alien Star EPROM and see if anything changes. If not, it's possible that the game EPROM is bad and it's acting exactly as it would with no chip installed at all

#11 7 months ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

One last thing you can try..
On some System 80 games, they will boot without the game EPROM at all, and shutdown as soon as you try to play the game. You may want to remove the Alien Star EPROM and see if anything changes. If not, it's possible that the game EPROM is bad and it's acting exactly as it would with no chip installed at all

I will try that, that's a quick and easy test to try out. Thanks for the suggestion. I figured the game would be a brick without any ROM installed.

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

To save you time and trouble in the future looking is bontango lisy boards. If you go with a pi option, you’ll have the option of using your phone browser as a troubleshooting tool.

Thanks for the info. Going to look into the products he has for sale. Didn't even know about that. Thanks!

#13 7 months ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

THIS.

The caps on the reset board dry out and change the timing.

Unplug the board and try.

#14 6 months ago

Wanted to follow up, with all your info, I got it booted up and running!

After moving U2 and U3 over to the Haunted House MPU, now with all the correct system ROMs, it kicked right on. I could tell immediately it was working when I saw the attract controlled inserts dance.

Mthomasslo was most likely correct. The machine was "booting", only to reset on game start.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.