By practicalsteve

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

monthly_05_2015-cab355e4b390b8c2f1e131fa0c9bbe08-star-race--gottlieb--- (resized).png
IMG_5892 (resized).JPG
IMG_5881 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Boy do I miss Steve Charland. It's especially pogniant now because this was his game. I have a couple quick questions and maybe some can help.

In the pic there's two things

An orange connector which I think was a mod he created/installed- does anyone that has one of his games know what it's for or where it goes?

Second thing is what I believe is the ground, where do you attach this?

Miss you blownfuse

IMG_5881 (resized).JPGIMG_5881 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Where does the other end of those wires go?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Where does the other end of those wires go?

That's a very good question that I will have to answer after work. Excellent point.

#4 6 years ago

Hi,
Obviously, this is moving the battery.
On the SYS80 boards, the original battery is soldered to the CPU board. But as it always ends up fleeing, it must be replaced.
Several solutions exist: capacitor, lithium battery. Some solder two wires in place of the battery and plug in off-the-shelf batteries.
The two wires most likely arrive at a battery holder.

There are two pods on the picture. It was simple, it had to be connected to a small battery.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from noflip95:

The two wires most likely arrive at a battery holder.

The wires connected to the MPU for the battery are different colors and gauges than the ones being held in the photo. I don't think they're connected to a remote battery pack.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The wires connected to the MPU for the battery are different colors and gauges than the ones being held in the photo. I don't think they're connected to a remote battery pack.

I believe you are correct as there is a remote battery that is connected.

I have received a PM outside the thread that has a promising lead.

"Both of those wires are ground mods. The U shaped spade connector attaches onto the screw in the lower right corner of the metal plate on the power supply. The orange connector slides onto a narrow little pin that is in the middle of the CPU that is sticking out."

I will of course update this later when I get a chance to look as i am at work.

Thank you all for your help so far.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help, the answer is a little anti-climactic as basically neither needed to be plugged or connected anywhere. A Pinsider PM'd me who was a very close friend of Charland's and he coached me through it. What I should have said in the first place was that it has a rottendog power supply so that U shaped clip is a ground which I no longer need.

As for the orange connector it was
something Charland did to mod his Sys80 but he never got to finish this one, so it also doesn't connect.

Good news is once I knew those two things weren't needed I could confidently turn it on and it fired right up! Really cool game with a unique shot layout. Need to figure out some scoring strategy on it still though. Might need to start a club thread now.

Thanks all!

IMG_5892 (resized).JPGIMG_5892 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Well, that's a great piece you have there . The backglass seems perfect and the playfield look in very good condition. It is rare to find a copy as well preserved, take very care of it.
It seems that there are just a few burnt-out lights (or maybe a bad contact) in the bonus count, but that's an easy-to-fix detail.

#9 6 years ago

Star Race is very underappreciated game that really has great play and artwork to say the least. Enjoy it, the loop shot in the upper left is very tough shot!

#10 6 years ago

One of the two super wide body Gottlieb System 80's, and harder to find than Circus, the other super-wide. Hope to play one someday. Been on the semi-want list for a while.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

One of the two super wide body Gottlieb System 80's, and harder to find than Circus, the other super-wide. Hope to play one someday. Been on the semi-want list for a while.

Circus has great layout and plays pretty fast for a early wide body, lots to do and a fair number of shots to make.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from noflip95:

The backglass seems perfect and the playfield look in very good condition. It is rare to find a copy as well preserved, take very care of it.

The playfield is NOS and the backglass is in excellent condition considering rarity and age, some paint loss but not in the places it counts. This belongs to a good friend and formerly belonged to the Sys80 guru Steve Charland a pinball legend. so for me it doesnt get more special than that. Yeah, I got to look at those lamps that are out still.

Quoted from RWH:

Star Race is very underappreciated game that really has great play and artwork to say the least. Enjoy it, the loop shot in the upper left is very tough shot!

I love the game already, especially that loop shot! I can see by your avatar you love it too! I have a question for you. When I hit the loop from the right upper flipper the ball travels around the loop and exits how I illustrated in orange. Should it be continuing along the path like I showed in the blue? Please excuse the very crummy virtual pic I pulled off of google.

monthly_05_2015-cab355e4b390b8c2f1e131fa0c9bbe08-star-race--gottlieb--- (resized).pngmonthly_05_2015-cab355e4b390b8c2f1e131fa0c9bbe08-star-race--gottlieb--- (resized).png

#13 6 years ago

Hmmmm and now it looks like I have some bonus inserts that look to be constantly lit when they shouldn't be.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Should it be continuing along the path like I showed in the blue? Please excuse the very crummy virtual pic I pulled off of google.

Yes that's how mine reacts. That's a very challenging shot from any flipper!

#15 6 years ago

Ok, connector reseated and now they work except two are out. Not the bulbs. Any help?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 135.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-80-general-help-star-race and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.