View topic image gallery

2 (resized).jpg
IMG_4567 (resized).JPG
FDE596A4-7965-4EE1-9A4C-73AD72930676 (resized).jpeg
496D8628-58A1-4C05-BB55-E5DE514B6A12 (resized).jpeg
EBEABF8E-345D-4F20-B8D9-93E791B3B69B (resized).jpeg
07 (resized).JPG
04 (resized).JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I am thinking of making a reproduction of the sys 7 coin door skin and frame.

Who would be interested? Probably priced at $95 plus shipping.

04 (resized).JPG04 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

I really need a frame (trim pieces) if those can be had separately? If not I would buy the whole thing.

#4 3 years ago

That door skin is definitely needed. It's been unavailable for a very long time. Another item that needs to be reproduced for these doors is the copper coin switch actuating wireforms.

#5 3 years ago

You will have a much wider audience than just system 7. This coin door was used on many williams pinball and some video games.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

You will have a much wider audience than just system 7. This coin door was used on many williams pinball and some video games.

Yep, all the way back to the late EM games for the door skin, and I believe the last game was Space Shuttle.

-Hans

#7 3 years ago

I would be in for at least 3!

#8 3 years ago

I'll take 2

#9 3 years ago

This is perfect. Not sure why they had not been reproduced sooner. Bally door skins have been are available.

#10 3 years ago

I'd be in for a couple, at least.

#11 3 years ago

This door dates back to around 1965.

#12 3 years ago

Ill take 5.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

I really need a frame (trim pieces) if those can be had separately? If not I would buy the whole thing.

So you would just want the top,bottom and right sides?

I'll see what i can put together...

07 (resized).JPG07 (resized).JPG
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

So you would just want the top,bottom and right sides?
I'll see what i can put together...
[quoted image]

Yep I have a door and a hinge now with no trim sides. I would probably also buy a full thing for my Robotron.

#15 3 years ago

I would definitely buy these if made available.

2 weeks later
#16 3 years ago

Any word on these. I just finished a really nice barracora that could really use this!

#17 3 years ago

I’d be interested in 3-4 of them. Also famously used on early Defender games. I can also attest to the need for frame pieces. My Black Knight had the whole door removed by some operator, and it took forever to find a door with the full frame.

#18 3 years ago

I'm still in the process of doing QC and getting some issues ironed out.

Should be 6-8 weeks.

2 months later
#19 3 years ago

Any update? I have a game coming that I'd love to put one of these on.

#20 3 years ago

Yeh, any updates?

#21 3 years ago

Well, I received pre-production samples that were nice, but production is getting scratched and will likely have to be re-done. I am currently in the process of convincing my vendor to throw away all the skins and re-do them.

I also have the coin trip springs in production (in USA) but that is another 6-8 weeks.

Sorry its taking so long, but we' get there eventually.

Bob

#22 3 years ago

Well, I received pre-production samples that were nice, but production is getting scratched and will likely have to be re-done. I am currently in the process of convincing my vendor to throw away all the skins and re-do them.
I also have the coin trip springs in production (in USA) but that is another 6-8 weeks.
Sorry its taking so long, but we' get there eventually.
Bob

Some people may be interested in the scratched one at a discount instead of trashing them. Still may be a lot better than what is on some games now.

#23 3 years ago

Interesting Man this would be great.. following

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Some people may be interested in the scratched one at a discount instead of trashing them. Still may be a lot better than what is on some games now.

I hope not to have to resort to that. I don’t want to have to deal with an inventory of graded parts. But mostly, I am not going to tell a vendor it’s ok to weld good parts onto bad parts.

#25 3 years ago

If someone is in need of a complete Williams coin door, I have one that I would sell. It has a few dings, but overall it’s not to bad. I don’t know what a fair price would be. If interested PM me.

496D8628-58A1-4C05-BB55-E5DE514B6A12 (resized).jpeg496D8628-58A1-4C05-BB55-E5DE514B6A12 (resized).jpegEBEABF8E-345D-4F20-B8D9-93E791B3B69B (resized).jpegEBEABF8E-345D-4F20-B8D9-93E791B3B69B (resized).jpegFDE596A4-7965-4EE1-9A4C-73AD72930676 (resized).jpegFDE596A4-7965-4EE1-9A4C-73AD72930676 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#26 3 years ago

BobLangelius How is it going with the skins?

#27 3 years ago

I’ve had jobs run smoother, that’s for sure. Both the skins and the wire trip springs are delayed.

The trip springs, made in USA are delayed (8 weeks)by a defective batch of spring wire.

The Door skins are delayed mostly because I have not gotten back to the offshore manufacturer due to some personal stuff going on. I’ll resolve it this weekend.

Sorry for the delays. I’ll give an eta when I have firm dates.

2 weeks later
#28 3 years ago

A lot of people will want those door skins and coin trip wires.

2 weeks later
#29 3 years ago

Is there a difference between the Sys 7 and previous systems, as far as just the skin is concerned?

#30 3 years ago

Probably not much of a difference, Although i am not 100% sure that's why is left the name as sys7....

I know my Doodle Bug has the same front door skin.

But other NOS door skins i have purchased ( From Europe) have not had the upper Copper plated piece that hold the lockdown bar release closed. Although they had the grain going in the wrong direction also so maybe they were seconds...

My plan is to make a repro of the doors i have from system 7 games and hope they work for other games. If they don't work, i plan to offer a return for part cost credit.

#31 3 years ago

I would be interested in the reproduction of the coin switch actuator wire form.
Williams list three versions of the Trip Wire.
Trip Wire ( Spring )
10A-289 long length for USA Dimes / Quarters.
10A-290 short length for USA Nickles.
10A-297 med. length for Foreign coins.

#33 3 years ago

I am working on a repro of the 10A-289 for quarters.

Should have been done at the end of August but material had to be rejected twice. Currently looking at another 6 weeks

1 week later
#34 3 years ago

Just an update on the doors...

I have to take this project away from my overseas supplier and find a domestic house that can handle it. It's going to take till after the holidays till i have any updates.

Coin wires are in process and i should have some samples on Monday.

Bob

#35 3 years ago

Sweet, thanks for the update!

3 months later
#36 3 years ago

Coin wires are available (3) for $5. Shipping $3.50

Send me a PM.

IMG_4567 (resized).JPGIMG_4567 (resized).JPG
#37 3 years ago

Coin wires are available (3) for $5. Shipping $3.50
Send me a PM.[quoted image]

I’ll take 12. Pm sent.

If anybody has 1 (one) of the round plastic part that the spring goes on I would really appreciate it.

Oh, and I’ll take several door skins if that comes through.

#38 3 years ago

Interested in the coin doors ..
Just puchased a second hand one and I am trying to make it better. Lol.
Did my 1st year in a panel beating coarse .
Years ago and passed with credits unfortunately I have lost the skills to do this .

Hopefully these will be available soon..

1 month later
#39 3 years ago

BobLangelius Any updates?

#40 3 years ago

Well, The way things look:

A- I used to work in the Point of purchase fixture world. I was often in China overseeing production. and could get this done in China and watch the production. Covid has killed retail and i don't se myself going back anytime soon. My Vendors can not really make these parts to my satisfaction without me holding their hands the whole way. I'm still trying to get a plan in place long distance, but from the phone call i had today it don't look good. the problem is running the parts through 20 operations without scratching them....

B- I could try and have these made domestically, but they will likely end up in the $200 range. I am loathe to even run my domestic guys through the process because they just are tired of it...( quoting and not getting jobs)

#41 3 years ago

Hopefully when times are better you would have a re-think

We all kicked these doors in or put a knee in them when we were teenagers
it is now ironic that we are restoring them to better than new in box

#42 3 years ago

Maybe you could reach out to the folks that make the Bally door skins? Maybe they might be able to help?

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Maybe you could reach out to the folks that make the Bally door skins? Maybe they might be able to help?

Yeah... The Bally Skin is a pretty simple part aside from the tooling for the diamond shaped de-boss and lock/light de-bosses. It is just a single part, no welding, the part can made from pre-brushed material with the masking left on.That said i probably could investigate them, Any idea who they are? Also that part is $89 now...

The Williams door skin is a bit more of a challenge, it is stainless with a welded zinc plated hinge, SS door frame part, and (2) internal welded parts. Not to mention a couple of them are copper plated.... Then while your making the door frame at the hinge, might as well make the other frames (one of those is welded/copper plated too)... And bolts, yeah them too, why not... QTY? I'm thinking 150 sets. Nobody is really jumping to take a job for 150 sets... Could i ever sell 250 sets? My guys in China would do this for me as a favor because of all the other work i (used to) run with them

My guys can't seem to laser out the parts cleanly without removing the masking on the back side, then the scratching starts. It's just frustrating; if i was there i could make the parts myself....

manufacturing is funny, The biggest pain is the material handling. So many things get fouled up moving from one station to another. Or stacked up wrong, or just beat to S##t from inattention. After a certain number of operations you are hosed. Then you start designing fixtures, just to move the parts from Station to station.... Half the challenge is designing parts symmetrical so they can't be welded together wrong. ETC ETc....

All good fun. sorry for the ramble

2 months later
#44 2 years ago

Update:

My vendor in China cannot do the welding without scratching the parts. So the components are coming in and i will be doing the welding myself. The finished doors may be coming in small batches...

4 weeks later
#45 2 years ago

Excellent news

#46 2 years ago

Any more updates?

#47 2 years ago

Parts are due in to CA this week. I need to get them out of the port(~2 weeks) then cross country then start unpacking and welding.

probably a couple of months

1 month later
#49 2 years ago

I just know I’m gonna miss the door skins. Could somebody please pm me when it happens?
Thanks in advance.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I just know I’m gonna miss the door skins. Could somebody please pm me when it happens?
Thanks in advance.

I would favorite star this thread.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-7-coin-door-skins?hl=nettek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.