Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190619_200043 (resized).jpg
    20190619_194538 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

I wash them under sink faucet with tooth brush and dish soap. Fling off and blow out the majority of the water. Then sit in front of a box fan for a couple hours. Unless the board is burned they usually come out looking sharp compared to before washing. The amount of smoke/dust/crud that accumulates on many boards over 30 years is amazing and pretty gross.

Not all system 7 boards don't have dip switches but I think some early ones do. I will honestly wash boards with dip switches. I avoid drenching them but also make sure to blow out the water best as possible. A wet dip switch can for sure cause problems tho. In a Bally game wet dip switches will cause switch errors. Are the LED digits sealed? I don't know but probably are. The plastic box flipper relay on the driver board is not sealed and water will get trapped inside of it.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Nearly every LED digit I've ever seen is sealed. Only ones I've seen that aren't are the ones with integrated BCD decoders.
    Truth is, you'd be surprised how many boards go though a water wash cycle as part of their manufacture. It all depends on the parts, fluxes, and other criteria which ones do and which ones don't. And a purpose built wash for circuit boards? Your home dishwasher won't even come close to that level of heat, water pressure, and air pressure. I'm sitting about 50 feet from one of them right now.
    If you use a water soluble flux, it's actually required to wash them with hot water, under high pressure, or the boards start to corrode over time.
    -Hans

Water soluble flux is awesome. I use Kester 24-6337-6403 when assembling new PCBs. Rinse under warm water with a little toothbrush action and all the flux comes off easily. Dang rosin flux is a pain to clean. No clean flux looks like hell to leave on a PCB and just as hard to remove as rosin. I will even use water soluble flux when doing rework where I know im going to wash the board later. Under PF stuff, rosin.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-7-circuit-board-in-dishwasher?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.