Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Rollergames that is next in the queue to be raised form the dead. Had a fair amount of corrosion on the MPU board that required me to replace the entire reset section and I would say the effects of the leaky batteries are visible over half the board but no worse that turning the solder pads a dull grey.

After finally getting Leon's test ROM to work (had to replace U38) I get all the PIA outputs pulsing as expected but with game ROMS installed I can't get a blanking signal when booting on the bench. I just get the 5v LED lit. My first question is will the board light the blanking LED when booting on the bench and not connected to the pin? This is my first Sys 11 MPU problem.

Despite the lack of blanking LED, when I power on the board the reset pin goes low momentarily then high so I believe that is OK. I get clock activity, IRQ, VMA and all the address and data lines on the 6802 are pulsing.

Before I start shotgunning the blanking circuit components does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

#2 9 years ago

Mark's law of Blanking: "blanking will always be zero unless the board has successfully booted with the game ROMs". Note in this statement "The game ROMs". If you are testing your board using the test chip, the blanking signal may or may not be present. Blanking can only be successfully tested once your board is running properly with the game ROMs. Consider a failed blanking signal a symptom, not a cause of the problem.

#3 9 years ago

I am aware of this but can't understand what the problem is likely to be if Leon's test runs ok and the game ROMS and sockets are new and buzz out ok.

#4 9 years ago

The blanking circuit must be inactive for the CPU board to boot. The blanking circuit is reset by the display strobes. Blanking problems can also be caused by a short in any connecting logic chips.

Quoted from Andy_B:

I would say the effects of the leaky batteries are visible over half the board but no worse that turning the solder pads a dull grey.

Acid damage over half the board is huge, IMO. You can't really trust your eyes, as corrosive effects can be so small they require a scanning electron microscope to see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-11c-mpu-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.