Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi All

So on "BOTH" displays digit 5&6 13&14 are both dead when I turn the machine on.

After about 20 seconds digit 6&14 on BOTH displays is up working, bright and crisp.
    After about 90 seconds digit 5&13 on BOTH displays is up working, bright and crisp.

As this is happening exactly the same on both displays I don't believe the issue is the display glass. It must be coming from a shared/common point most likely on the MPU.

MPU

1J1/4 - Strobe 5 - both Displays
    1J1/3 - Strobe 6 - both Displays
    1J2/4 - Strobe 13 - both Displays
    1J2/3 - Strobe 14 - both Displays

So I replaced U44 no difference and then U51 on the MPU but again no difference.

The resistor arrays on the MPU SRC 7, 8 & 9 all measure ok.

I have checked the cable/header connections and all seem fine.

Once it's working you have to leave it off 3 or 4 hours or overnight before you get the issue again.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

#2 4 years ago

Just to add U41 on the MPU has also been replaced. It was faulty as a faulty Left display was blowing U41 as soon as you turned the game on. I fixed that display U1 & U2 and replaced U41 and the game booted fine. Just this weird digit issue now...

PSU HV are 102 & -102 so all good.

#3 4 years ago

sounds like a cold solder joint. I know you checked them, but just reflow them all, that's pretty much part of the reliability equation for newly acquired machines.

#4 4 years ago

I did reflow them already. Including the SRC's just in case

I have just put the Left display in my Dr Dude and it came up straight away so I'm certain it's not the displays...

It's very much like a dry joint symptom though. Or bad header cable connection type thing but all checked re/done re/soldered...

#5 4 years ago

Any corrosion damage?

#6 4 years ago

No the board is pretty good

#7 4 years ago

Any caps involved?

#8 4 years ago

none on the diagram. Not around U44 or U51. Just the resistor arrays.

It's doing my head in

#9 4 years ago

Do you have a logic probe?

#10 4 years ago

Have a scope... the problem is you have to find the issue within 60 to 90 seconds and if not then leave it off for a few hours before trying again

I just swapped Dr Dude MPU and everything was good so what ever the issue is, is definitely on the MPU.

I have just soldered the component side of the SRA's and re-soldered U44 "applicable pins"

Issue still there (although strobe 6/14 seems a bit better but might be my imagination) 5/13 still dead for 60 odd seconds

#11 4 years ago

So I connected CH1 of the scope to 1J2-2 (strobe 15 which is good) and CH2 of the scope to 1J2-4 (strobe 13 which is dodgy). Left it off a few hours and then turned on. Both channels got a square wave immediately and now and again move but move in sync with each other.

So that makes me think the issue is not the output of U44 or the PA side of U51 (U44 inputs).

U51 PB side also goes to 1J3 connector. I don't know what this is doing though.

A1 A2
    B1 B2
    C1 C2
    D1 D2

What are these outputs driving on the displays????

As far as I can see it is also segments but on the right display only. Which if correct I can't see that being the issue as the entire digit/strobe is dead for 60 seconds and then starts (warming up) and works great after circa 90 seconds and it is only the 4 strobes not all 16...and the issue is on the left display as well..

so U44 & U51 seem great yet these are the two IC's controlling the stobes... AAAARRRRGGGGG

#12 4 years ago

BUMP BUMP

#13 4 years ago

crazi you might get better support if you move this thread to the alphanumeric tech subforum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/tech-alpha-numeric-games

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-11c-alphanumeric-display-digit-issue?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.