(Topic ID: 267575)

SYS 11B connector' advice?

By fixintoplay

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LampBoard copy (resized).jpg
    lampboard2 (resized).jpg
    lampboard (resized).jpg
    lamp bd2 (resized).JPG
    lamp bd5 (resized).JPG
    lamp bd4 (resized).JPG
    lamp bd1 (resized).JPG
    87318327-3517-40E7-9849-15A3CA137545 (resized).jpeg
    05E0E557-8706-48B4-BB01-25EAA29240BC (resized).jpeg
    62AE3BE7-826A-4714-BE13-EF5D3256D98C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider songofsixpence.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 3 years ago

My first criticism would be the reflow job on the header pins. It looks like several of the pins, particularly the middle had gotten twisted when they were heated. This would lessen the contact with the connector pins

2nd, when they were reflowed, new solder was placed on the pins without removing the old solder first. I question how good a bond the solder has with those pins.

3rd, the pin on the right, with the wire repair, the wire is sitting high up on the pin, and will prevent the connector from seating properly

4th - that wire doesn't seem to have a great solder-bond with that pin.

lampboard (resized).jpglampboard (resized).jpg

Next, instead of running that wire repair, maybe it's possible to repair the existing trace?
    Scrape the coating off the trace (carefully) maybe 1/4 inch up to the solder pad, then extend the solder mound onto the trace itself
    lampboard2 (resized).jpglampboard2 (resized).jpg

Can offer more thoughts, if interested.

#22 3 years ago

On this side of things, I would say your wire repair is creating a stress point for the bulb socket. That little brass tab snaps off all the time in the best of circumstances. It's going to get hammered when it hits that wire.

I have to ask is it really impossible to repair that trace? I don't see where it's obviously broken.
    LampBoard copy (resized).jpgLampBoard copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider songofsixpence.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-11b-connector-advice?tu=songofsixpence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.