Sys 11 Space Station blows F3 very intermittently

By goneflyin2002

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello all,
My first post here, and I'd first like to thank you all for the great tech info here. Much appreciated!
I have a Space Station that had quite a few problems in the past apparently.. someone has installed a Rottendog MPU004-1.
The toughest problem when I got the machine, was on boot up, it would blow F3 regularly- not always, but one in 3 times approx.
I eventually found that the blanking signal for the solenoids was shorted to ground by the top center board mounting screw. When the game would boot up, the solenoids would fire. There's a trace that runs right next to that screw and it's shorted soon as you put the screw in! Left the screw out to fix that.
Now, the game plays great except that every once in a while- F3 (2.0A SB) blows during game play. Special solenoids (jet bumpers) stop working.
I've checked the leaf switches and alignments for the jet bumpers, best of my ability.
Has anyone run into this?
A 2.5A fuse will blow just as easily.
I've checked the harness (red/wt wire) its full length, don't see anything.
One thing I'm not sure of, is sometimes, very intermittently I do hear a few solenoids fire on bootup, but not hold on.
Any insight would be so appreciated!!

Thanks,
Don

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from goneflyin2002:

One thing I'm not sure of, is sometimes, very intermittently I do hear a few solenoids fire on bootup, but not hold on.

If you have an original power supply in the game, I would replace all the electrolytic capacitors. You can use this list to go by to order them. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W12246-PEC-KIT

#3 4 years ago

Yes it is the original supply. There is some hum in the audio. Has it been known to cause solenoids to fire on bootup from some AC ripple?
thanks for the suggestion.
D

#4 4 years ago

Found the problem finally.
One of the jet bumpers' plastic body was cracked and it would intermittently allow the plunger to come down on enough of an angle to depress the skirt (switch), which of course would keep that solenoid energized. Found it by putting my ammeter in place of F3 and taping it to the front of the machine, and playing the game till I saw it show me 5A draw. Quickly looked at which jet bumper was down and now I know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-11-space-station-blows-f3-very-intermittently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.