(Topic ID: 132664)

Sys 11 lights, stuck troubleshooting, next steps?

By EvanDickson

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 8 years ago

The machine is Taxi. The left backbox GI is out. C-A-B lane lights are out. 20k-40k-etc lights are out. Left sling lights are out. Jet bumper lights are out.

All fuses are good.
No connectors are burnt.
Unseating / reseating doesn't seem to change anything, so I think even though some are ugly, connectors are ok.
I've tested the lamp matrix per Marvin's guide, all rows and columns are testing ok.

I'm guessing my next step is to just start replacing all connectors in the thing. But I'm hoping that this sounds familiar to someone and they can say that there is a particular bad diode / shorted socket / underpants gnome that would cause specifically these lights to be out.

So does anyone have any insight before I start replacing connectors - the slowest (and I'm thinking least likely to be productive) solution?

#2 8 years ago

Don't have a Taxi,but on my system 11 EATPM I had a similar problem and scratched my head for over a month. What I found is a relay on the under side of the playfield that had a loose wire on one of the connectors. This relay was controlling a lot of the GI.

#3 8 years ago

Yep. My guess is a bad relay. I think All those lights blink together at the same time at certain times during play.

#4 8 years ago

Relay on the back box light board. Re heat the solder there.
There's also another relay. Lift the pf and its in the bottom right corner

Good luck
Gaz

#5 8 years ago

Thanks guys, it sounds like relays are the next step. I'll check them tonight or tomorrow, as soon as I get a chance!

#6 8 years ago

Make certain you also reseat the (yellow/yellow-wh.) GI connector in the BOTTOM OF THE CABINET (WHILE IT's ON) to confirm if it may be the problem.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Make certain you also reseat the GI connector in the BOTTOM OF THE CABINET (WHILE IT's ON) to confirm if it may be the problem.

Ok, I'll try that too, thanks!

4 months later
#8 8 years ago

Heya....did you ever sort this out???

Replace relays???

#9 8 years ago

The suggestion I offered is my guess as to what resolved this problem. Happens all the time to sys 11 games.

1 month later
#10 8 years ago

It is sorted out now... picking away for a long time. I think the solution was a combination of everything. The connectors to the relay board under the playfield were loose. The pins in the 4 hole GI connector were questionable. I did end up replacing the GI connector at the board as well. It didn't seem that any one thing was contributing, but after doing all these things together, I have fully working lighting. Thanks for the guidance!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 109.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-11-lights-stuck-troubleshooting-next-steps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.