• Latest reply 8 years ago by beaky
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Renouart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have a Solar Ride that has been playing well for the last several years. It is now starting to act up, and I think is likely due to the incomplete job of repairing the battery damage on the CPU. I was planning on repairing the board, but on closer inspection, I am worried the corrosion has gone further than I originally thought. Pix are below for the front and back of the board. The front looks not too bad and relatively straight forward. But the back shows bubbling on the traces, and I am wondering if this means the corrosion has gone far and wide and it would be a waste of time to try to fix this board.

Can anyone share their thoughts on whether this really can be salvaged, or should I just get a replacement? Thanks for your help.

IMG_0706.JPGIMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0705.JPGIMG_0705.JPG

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for info, thedefog. Could you please explain what it means to use scotch-brite?

#8 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll get the scotch-brite and a fiberglass pen and see how it goes.

#11 8 years ago

Thank you for the link to the fiberglass pen.

How do you seal the copper? I've seen people comment that they spray with Krylon, but that seems hard to control.

#14 8 years ago

The clear nail polish sounds like a great idea. Thanks barakandl and Vid.

1 month later
#15 8 years ago

Thank you all for the great advice - the fiberglass pen is amazing. Luckily, none of the traces were broken, and there was plenty of the edge connectors left that I could retin - after a few trial and errors. I installed sockets for the chips, and replaced all the resistors, caps and the diode in the first picture in my original post. I made sure there was continuity with all the new parts and the traces. I put the board back in, and now it works - mostly....

Two problems remain. When I hit the uppermost drop target, it acts like all 5 have been dropped, advancing the bonus by 5K (instead of just 1K) and activating the kickout hole reset. This is switch 34. I replaced the diode in the hopes it was a simple answer, but had no effect. The problem was not there before I "fixed" the board - just wondering if this might due to a simple error on my part, sw 34 feeds in via the A1J7-6 position, which is in the area of my work.

Also, the left and right rollovers advance the bonus by 3K, instead of just 1K. These feed in via A1J7-2, but none of the other switches that go through this connector have a problem.

I assume this is from my work on the board, so any thoughts about where I went wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Renouart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sys-1-battery-corrosion-fools-errand?tu=Renouart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.