Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bay78
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

This is my first post and i'm new to pinball repair so thank you in advance for your patience and help.

I'm having a problem with my xwing that I haven't seen posted yet. I just bought SWT in pretty good condition but with known malfunctions and thought I could repair with a little help. So far it's going well, but I was needing someone with the pin to help me out. When I got the machine there was a malfunction with the Bottom VUK. It fired repeatedly when machine was turned on and randomly during the game and the adjacent Reed switch seemed to be broken as well. Short story version, the Reed switch was reversed (magnet at bottom rather than top) resulting in not the switch not working and I presume the firing of the coil as a result by somehow also making it seem as if there was a ball stuck. Anyway, all the problems with the bottom VUK stopped when I reversed it. So regarding the xwing, the green wire to the Reed switch was broken but the xwing seemed to function fairly well otherwise. I almost left it disconnected but it seemed like the magnet diverter into the xwing was not timing correctly and the ball would sometimes pass on a second attempt at multiball or atat walkers. So I soldered it. Now when I turn on the machine, the xwing rotates and the coil fires until I start a game. It also fires a few extra times and rotates after it is loaded and fired too. It seems to be similar to the issues with the bottom VUK, so I'm thinking the Reed switch is reversed here as well. The problem is that the Reed switch is riveted on so it is not a simple take it off and put it back on and Idon't want to risk any damage if this is not the problem. So when I put a piece of metal in the xwing cannon frame welded assay, the switch activates when the metal is closest to the coil side of the reed switch as opposed to the side that is closer to the entry ramp which tells me the magnet of the switch is closer to the coil. As another point of reference, the green and grey wire enter the Reed switch on the side of the playfield rather than the side of the ramp passing to the inlane. Could someone please test your reed switch and tell me were the magnet part of the reed switch is located, closer to the coil or the entry ramp? If my reed switch is oriented correctly, does anyone have any other thoughts of what could be making the coil fire now that the Reed switch is fixed?

#2 8 years ago

I was checking the star wars specific diagnostic menu and found that the loaded switch(#37) does activate when a ball is put in the frame assay. However, after the ball is fired using the ball launch button, the load switch still stays activated. I press the ball launch button a few more times and rotate it as well and then the switch deactivates.

#3 8 years ago

Bump and a suggestion to post this to the SWT club thread as well.

1 week later
#4 8 years ago

Well, the soldered wires broke at the reed switch as they entered the silicone so I had to drill out the rivets and take it off. I tried to repair the reed switch but was unsuccessful. I ordered a new reed switch and put it on today with the switch flipped so that the magnet is closer to the entry ramp rather than the xwing. It runs through the test cycle without any problem and plays without misfiring now so I think that was the issue. I guess it could have also just been a bad reed switch. It also seems to be better in the fact that the reed switch wires are now on the other side(ramp side vs playfield side) and don't get torqued as much when the xwing rotates. I doubt anyone else will have this issue but I wanted to post the fix, just in case.

1 year later
#5 6 years ago
Quoted from pinokieyo:

Well, the soldered wires broke at the reed switch as they entered the silicone so I had to drill out the rivets and take it off. I tried to repair the reed switch but was unsuccessful. I ordered a new reed switch and put it on today with the switch flipped so that the magnet is closer to the entry ramp rather than the xwing. It runs through the test cycle without any problem and plays without misfiring now so I think that was the issue. I guess it could have also just been a bad reed switch. It also seems to be better in the fact that the reed switch wires are now on the other side(ramp side vs playfield side) and don't get torqued as much when the xwing rotates. I doubt anyone else will have this issue but I wanted to post the fix, just in case.

Where did you find the replacement reed switch?

4 months later
#6 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure I ordered it from macrospecialties

#7 6 years ago

I ended moving the placement of the reed switch to be different then what it was suppose to be and viola it works 100%! I still will buy one or two to have as spares though next time I order with Marco.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swt-xwing-reed-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.