• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150103_110214.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I just picked up a SWT yesterday. All the coils are weak. When testing them with the door closed you have to hit RUN 5-8 times before a coil will fire. The Trough Up Kicker won't fire at all and some others too.

The Driver Board has been replaced with a Rottendog Driver Board. In looking at the board I noticed that the transistor at Q1 looks different from all the rest. Sure enough Q1 is the transistor for the Trough Up Kicker. All the other transistors are 13N10L. Q1 has a P40NF10L. I can't find where those 2 are interchangeable. Does anyone know if they are? Should I buy a 13N10L to replace it?

20150103_110214.jpg20150103_110214.jpg
#3 9 years ago

I've metered all the fuses and they check out. I'll do the hv one I get home. Thanks for the advice markmon.

#4 9 years ago

A little update before I start in on the machine today.

I have an ID4 so I switched out the Power Driver Boards to see if the issue was board related. With the Rottendog Board in ID4 everything worked except the right upper flipper. That corresponds to Q14. In checking on SWT, Q14 is for the Bottom Turbo Bumper. That is one coil that I couldn't get to fire from the Service Menu. I need to go through all the coil tests now on ID4 to double check anything else that may not be working.

Putting the PDB from ID4 into SWT yielded some interesting things. Many of the issues that I was having with the Rottendog Board in are gone. The coils that fire do so without any problem. Going through the coil tests the following things would not work.

1. X-Wing Canon (this won't work because there is no resistor on Q5 on my ID4 board)
2. Bottom VUK
3. Bank #2 Down (this won't work because there is no resistor on Q21 on my ID4 board)
4. Flash at RT Ramp 1
5. Flash at Top VUK 1

So the plan today is to look at those 5 issues and see if there are any bad coils, bad diodes or loose wires. Then I'll take a look at that Rottendog Board and see what else is wrong with it.

If anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated!

#5 9 years ago

Mini update. I can ground out the X-Wing coil and the Bottom VUK coil. So they work. Diodes tested good on them too. The Bank #2 diode tested good too. Gonna start tracing those and see what I can come up with.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Why would a missing transistor on q5 cause both problems 1 and 3? Why not install that transistor and test? So at this point you have both the id4 power boards in the Star Wars? Hiw is id4 behaving after moving the second board into it?

My bad on the Q5. Copy and Pasted that in. On #3 above the ID4 board was missing Q21.

The Rottendog Board works fine in ID4 with the exception of the top right flipper, and a few flashers. Not sure what is up with that. The Rottendog Board says it will work with ID4. Maybe you have to do some tweaking for certain machines? I've never had a Rottendog Board before.

I would have installed the transistors, but I don't have any. I need to put in an order tomorrow.

Here is the absolute kicker though. I switched the boards back and everything is working on SWT except the magnet on the canon isn't diverting the ball properly. The only thing I did was add a bolt to secure the board as one was missing. Now I have no weak coils and almost everything is functioning properly. Could it have been a ground issue due to not having that bolt before?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swt-all-coils-are-weak-may-have-found-the-issue-but-need-advice?tu=gern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.