(Topic ID: 316399)

Swords of Vengeance: a conversion kit sequel to LIONMAN!

By avanwinkle

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sov-preview-baldar-asrak (resized).png
sov-preview-lionman-concept (resized).png
sov-preview-baldar (resized).png
IMG_2344 (resized).jpg
IMG_2255 (resized).png
SoV_ENV12_Chasm_v4 (resized).png
shutupandtakemymoney (resized).png
IMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1402 (resized).jpg
IMG_1372 (resized).jpg
IMG_1366 (resized).png
IMG_1368 (resized).png
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 1 year ago

Lionman is back! What started as my next homebrew project inspired by the adventures of Lionman is now officially the sequel to Swords of Fury !

Swords of Vengeance will be a conversion kit game that takes place twenty years after the original and dives deeper into the magical land of the humans and orcs, the history of the Titans and Balrods (yes, still intentionally "mis"-spelled), and what exactly Lionman was doing back in 1988. It features new characters, an original story, a full modern ruleset with a progression of unlockable modes and a narrative-driven, branching-path storyline. It's got everything one would expect from a modern pinball game (except an auto-plunger, unfortunately), but is filled with throwback mechanics to delight fans of the original.

While Swords of Vengeance is still in a pre-alpha state (about 80% code, 50% artwork, 20% audio completed), I'll have two machines available to play this weekend at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show (along with my other homebrews), so come on by and give it a flip! More details on the game—including the amazing artwork and kickass soundtrack—will follow in this thread after the show ends.

LIONMAN!

IMG_1366 (resized).pngIMG_1366 (resized).pngIMG_1368 (resized).pngIMG_1368 (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

Awesome, can’t wait to see some gameplay!

#3 1 year ago

I will definitely be following. I love my swords of fury. Hopefully you will be keeping the grunts and dying at the end.
Lionman!

O

#4 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone who came by and gave a play at NWPAS! I was a bit nervous taking the game out of my house for the first time, and while yes, there were definitely some snags, overall it went great and I really appreciate all the feedback and compliments (and critiques too).

I only received the custom translites a few days before the show, and immediately saw that I underestimated how much the baffles would affect the lighting. Oops! Looks kinda awkward, I guess my next task is to build a custom system11 light panel. Also, interesting to see the difference between a stock SoF with its warm lights (mine) and an led-converted one that went all-in on the cool tones (borrowed).

feedthebiscuit Oh don't worry, it's got grunts, dying, clangs, and LIONMAN!! Wouldn't change those for anything.

IMG_1372 (resized).jpgIMG_1372 (resized).jpgIMG_1402 (resized).jpgIMG_1402 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

SoF is my all time favorite, and is never leaving the pinball club I run.
If you need a beta tester in europe with a publicly available machine, don't hesitate to contact me. Quite intrigued and interested

#6 1 year ago

Following. SoF has such a great playfield and fantastic audio, but the original rules hold it back.

4 months later
#7 1 year ago

For anyone at the Pinball Expo in Chicago this weekend, we have a Swords of Vengeance here in the FAST Pinball booth with Anthony's latest code. Come check it out!

IMG_0241 (resized).jpegIMG_0241 (resized).jpeg
#8 1 year ago

Played it
Found a software bug
I’m exited to see where the software ends up once it’s done
I don’t own a SoF anymore… but I will buy another one as soon as this is ready.
I want a kit

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from avanwinkle:

Thanks to everyone who came by and gave a play at NWPAS! I was a bit nervous taking the game out of my house for the first time, and while yes, there were definitely some snags, overall it went great and I really appreciate all the feedback and compliments (and critiques too).
I only received the custom translites a few days before the show, and immediately saw that I underestimated how much the baffles would affect the lighting. Oops! Looks kinda awkward, I guess my next task is to build a custom system11 light panel. Also, interesting to see the difference between a stock SoF with its warm lights (mine) and an led-converted one that went all-in on the cool tones (borrowed).
feedthebiscuit Oh don't worry, it's got grunts, dying, clangs, and LIONMAN!! Wouldn't change those for anything.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Don’t cross those swords. LIONMAN!!!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Played it
Found a software bug
I want a kit

Hurray! Thanks for giving it a try, I look forward to collecting all the bugs found at Expo and making the game ever better. LIONMAN!!

#11 1 year ago

I think it’s an amazing start- I’m loving playing it at Expo this weekend. I really hope this is available sooner than later - it’s exactly what my SOF needs.

#12 1 year ago

Is there any gameplay footage of this? I think I might pull my SoF down from the marketplace based on this kit.

#13 1 year ago

Played SoV this weekend at Pinball Expo and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I kid you not, this was one of my favorite games at the entire show. The music was awesome, the animations were awesome, keeping and expanding a fantasy theme was awesome, breathing new life into an already fantastic game is awesome! Definitely want a spot on the list to enhance my SoF!!!

Playing the Haggis Fathom nearby, made me wonder -- will it have code to allow you to play the original ruleset too? I really like the idea of being able to have the basic classic experience (especially for tournament play and/or family/friends who want to try it the old way) for shorter/simpler gameplay, or launch into the grander quest when I feel more adventurous.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Playing the Haggis Fathom nearby, made me wonder -- will it have code to allow you to play the original ruleset too? I really like the idea of being able to have the basic classic experience (especially for tournament play and/or family/friends who want to try it the old way) for shorter/simpler gameplay, or launch into the grander quest when I feel more adventurous.

I know this is off topic so I'll keep it short. YES! The Haggis Fathom revisited already includes the original game play too. During attract mode, you can push the left flipper to switch to classic mode and the right flipper to switch to modern / revisited mode. The attract show changes instantly so you know which mode you're in (as well as indicating on the apron cards). They did a great job with it!

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Played SoV this weekend at Pinball Expo and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I kid you not, this was one of my favorite games at the entire show. The music was awesome, the animations were awesome, keeping and expanding a fantasy theme was awesome, breathing new life into an already fantastic game is awesome! Definitely want a spot on the list to enhance my SoF!!!

Quoted from BrianMadden:

I know this is off topic so I'll keep it short. YES! The Haggis Fathom revisited already includes the original game play too. During attract mode, you can push the left flipper to switch to classic mode and the right flipper to switch to modern / revisited mode. The attract show changes instantly so you know which mode you're in (as well as indicating on the apron cards). They did a great job with it!

Ok I might need to clarify. I did notice the Haggis Fathom could play original or new rules (and played both). So my above question was, will Swords of Vengeance be programmed the same way? In other words, with the SoV upgrade, will we have the option to play both the original SoF rules and the new SoV rules?

I'd really like to be able to have the original gameplay maintained for when I'm feeling less adventurous or when hosting novice players or tournaments.

Really looking forward to this becoming available!

#16 1 year ago

Hey gang, is there any video of the gameplay? I didn't get to make it to Expo, and would love to see it. Thanks!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Thank you for the kind words! This machine is built on the same platform as Haggis' Fathom, and yes it does include full support for playing the original Swords of Fury via emulation. The gameplay and feel is indistinguishable from the original, but because of the way System11 split audio between the CPU and Audio Board, sound emulation is only partway complete (which is why emulation was not presented at the show). But it will definitely be available, for maximum LIONMAN!!

#18 1 year ago

A lot of pins have come and gone, yet Lionman always remained. I'm watching this thread and supporting your success loudly with an order waiting, @avanwinkle!

#19 1 year ago

LIONMAN!

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from avanwinkle:

Thank you for the kind words! This machine is built on the same platform as Haggis' Fathom, and yes it does include full support for playing the original Swords of Fury via emulation. The gameplay and feel is indistinguishable from the original, but because of the way System11 split audio between the CPU and Audio Board, sound emulation is only partway complete (which is why emulation was not presented at the show). But it will definitely be available, for maximum LIONMAN!!

AWESOME!! Thanks, can't frickin wait. But I will. Take your time and get it all ironed out, and keep up the great work!

#21 1 year ago

I'm SO in on a kit for this...

Sign me up!

#22 1 year ago

This looks incredible! Sign me up too,

Lionman!

1 week later
#23 1 year ago

Just did a flipper rebuild on my SoF last night so it's playing better than ever, so I'm even more ready! Can't wait for this!

#24 1 year ago

It's an increasingly exciting time for pinball. The technology that we are starting to see and the way that it is being implemented is impressive. So many talented enthusiasts are really making this technology shine.

#25 1 year ago

Waiting impatiently to do my tear down, hardtop, cab etc.

1 month later
#26 1 year ago

Sign me up! LIONMAN!

#27 1 year ago

Any progress updates to share or a little video footage? I’ve been talking up this kit to friends, and I’m eager to support your good works!

#28 1 year ago

Ask and you shall receive! I've just made a quick video to introduce Swords of Vengeance with some gameplay footage and on overview of the mode mechanics. I'll make many more videos next year to go in-depth on the different aspects, please let me know what's most interesting to you. And thank you all for the support and kind words, I'm thrilled to be bringing more LIONMAN!! to the pinball world!

#29 1 year ago

Holy hell I need this!

#30 1 year ago

Take my money.

#31 1 year ago

Yep. Put me high on that list!

#32 1 year ago

Showed my family your video, now they're just as pumped as I am! Let's do this! CHALLENGE ME!

#33 1 year ago

This sounds awesome. Can’t wait

#34 1 year ago

Almost sold my SoF last month after owning it for 20 years. Son who grew up playing it, asked me not to. Now I am doubly glad I did not.

#35 1 year ago

Nice work! But wait..... You are trying to defeat LIONMAN!!!??? LIONMAN cannot be defeated!

#36 1 year ago

Yep, guess I am shopping for an SoF.

#37 1 year ago

We at the VFW Ann Arbor pinball museum would LOVE to be involved in alpha/beta testing for Swords of Vengeance. Please contact us we can get involved! our swords of fury game is waiting. thank you. [email protected]

#38 1 year ago
shutupandtakemymoney (resized).pngshutupandtakemymoney (resized).png
#39 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Nice work! But wait..... You are trying to defeat LIONMAN!!!??? LIONMAN cannot be defeated!

What if I put a dollar on the glass but you have to pick the orc?

#40 1 year ago

avanwinkle you do great work!!! Way to keep the bar for these conversion kit projects high!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#41 1 year ago

LOVE IT!!! I'm interested! And I'm in Seattle if you need someone else to test it. /wink

Cheers,
MacJedi

#42 1 year ago

I'm excited put me down for one!

#43 1 year ago

Looks fantastic
I want one

Hope the spinners will come in handy in the code…

#44 1 year ago

Yeah count me in as well!

#45 1 year ago

Wow! Very impressive.

#46 1 year ago

Looks fantastic

#47 1 year ago

Well now don’t I regret selling my SOF! Amazing work!!!!

#48 1 year ago

Following this. I would love to buy one of these if you release it. If you are starting a lost please include me.

#49 1 year ago

Thanks all! I'm keeping records of all my hardware and setup flows, so I can make more of these when it's ready. Too early for any sort of official list, but I'll make sure to reference this thread when I get there. LIONMAN!!

Quoted from MrPar:

Hope the spinners will come in handy in the code…

I definitely make use of the spinners, for building the army strength (loop shot, lit side grows your army and unlit side grows the enemy army) and the titan jackpot (left lane tunnel). Anything in particular you dislike about the SoF spinners?

#50 1 year ago

Time to update that Mass Effect avatar!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Poland, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-vengeance-a-conversion-kit-sequel-to-lionman?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.