You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
swords of fury Q73 (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hello,

I trying to help a friend out with a couple of games. This one, Swords Of Fury, has what might be a switch problem. The Upper Ball Diverter (Sol. #19, Sol. Type: Special #3), which as it says diverts the ball to the mini playfield. In solenoid test mode it does not fire as the lower diverter does, however if I force Q73 by grounding the thermal pad on the transistor it fires.

I thought it strange that Q73 didn't work in test the position assuming the test signal comes from the CPU board (Rotten Dog) the board where the Q73 is located.

Thanks guys, Tom

#2 1 year ago

Sounds like Q73 is bad, I'd also change the pre-drive transistor for it at the same time.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Sounds like Q73 is bad, I'd also change the pre-drive transistor for it at the same time.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about Q73, it will fire if grounded but I will check B-E-C for an open or failed state. Its a non OEM board from Rotten Dog so it has no "pre-drive" transistor per say but a 74HCT08 Quad 2-input AND gate. - Tom

swords of fury Q73 (resized).pngswords of fury Q73 (resized).png
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about Q73, it will fire if grounded but I will check B-E-C for an open or failed state. Its a non OEM board from Rotten Dog so it has no "pre-drive" transistor per say but a 74HCT08 Quad 2-input AND gate. - Tom
[quoted image]

If you can get the coil to fire by grounding the transistor that shows your wiring and coil are good, but does not mean the transistor is good. Id start with changing Q73, I personally wouldnt even bother checking if it's bad.

1 month later
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

If you can get the coil to fire by grounding the transistor that shows your wiring and coil are good, but does not mean the transistor is good. Id start with changing Q73, I personally wouldnt even bother checking if it's bad.

I'll se if I have one or order the transistor. 20N10L Transistor ~ TO-220 package, 100 volt 28 amp , IRL540 Replaces 20N10L.

4 weeks later
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

I'll se if I have one or order the transistor. 20N10L Transistor ~ TO-220 package, 100 volt 28 amp , IRL540 Replaces 20N10L.

Received it yesterday. I removed the old one and it tested OK. I will install the new one and test it later today. The diverter Solenoid is listed as a Special Solenoid. So it doesn't say what causes it to conduct.

#7 1 year ago

Remember, this is a MOSFET...they are funky to test...you can test the resistor and the SIP as well for the correct impedance....looking at the schematics...

Matt

#8 1 year ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 1 year ago

I installed the new one and as expected when finding the old one good, nothing changed.

I had a spare board also arrive this week and dropped it in and yes it works perfectly.

I am going to take a probe to U11, pin 5 (2Y3) of the 74HCT240 and see what's up there compared to the reading taken on new board. Also U45B pin 3 of the 74HCT08. Based on the schematic I posted earlier I think there is a likelihood that one of these is the issue. Otherwise I suppose its whatever supports the AND gate at U45B.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Birdsboro, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Trade
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.