Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by aeonblack
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, I just took delivery of a Swords Of Fury. Game plays completely correct, but I have a few issues.

1: The game is outputting all the appropriate sound effects and dialogue/voice, but there is no music. I've confirmed via a bunch of youtube videos what it should sound like, and everything is accurate except there is absolutely no music (it's not quiet, it's just not there at all). Another odd thing is that sometimes when starting it up I am getting a loud buzzing (not like the quiet buzz/hum it normally has). Changing the volume makes the buzzing louder (as well as the voice/dialogue)
-This problem was there with the previous owner.
-I installed new sound board and new driver/cpu board, both with new roms...problem is still there. I initially thought it was just a fried rom, but that seems to not be the case. Both boards purchased from K's Arcade (http://ksarcade.net/), Rottendog CPU board and Williams NOS Audio board, both with new roms installed by K's.
-Checked continuity on the wiring and it all seems to be good as far as I can tell. I jiggled the wires in their seats to double check that, but they seem solid. I also jiggled the wires on the volume pot and no change.

2. The previous owner also stated that the 4 panel display was garbled (yet still receiving information). I confirmed this, and replaced the display with the appropriate Xpin LED display. The problem is still there.
-I checked continuity on the entire wiring harness and it seems good, also jiggled the wires and no changes. Problem is the same when I reconnect the old display.
-I can see the entire two bottom panels, but some of the digits are randomly faded a bit darker than the normal ones (but are still faintly visible). The top two are basically just displaying pieces of what is supposed to be there (it scrolls, and changes what is in each digit, but it's unreadable)
-I can get into the menus and pretty much figure out what I'm changing, as that is in the lower two panels.

Fuses are all good. I have made no changes to the power or aux power boards (could this be the problem?). Game plays completely fine otherwise.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

#3 11 years ago

so
new cpu new 2 game eproms + 2 new speech sound eproms ! ?
new sound board + 2 new music eproms ! ?

On the display issue check if not the ribbon data cable is reversed ,,, it has a red edge which should be to pin1 at both ends

#4 11 years ago

If you don't have it yet here is the operators manual: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2486/Williams_1988_Swords_of_Fury_Operations_Manual.pdf

Try running the diagnostics and see what happens.

#5 11 years ago

Okay, both of those ended up being easy fixes, despite all my troubleshooting.
- The display issue was fixed via doctor_pinball's suggestion of flipping the ribbon cable around. Doh! Such a simple fix. I must have only flipped it around on the old board, not the new one. My bad! Either way, the display is looking great now.
-The music was a stranger issue, and I'm still unsure exactly what caused it. I ended up trying to the old sound board, and, voila, the sfx/voice AND music were there. I thought that was really strange, since it originally wasn't there. So, I hooked up the new board and, same thing, sfx/voice AND music were both there. Very strange, since I had already tried re-seating all of the connections on the board. So, the issue was resolved by swapping out boards, powering up, turning off, then putting in the new board. No idea why, but it fixed it.

But, "out of the fire and into the frying pan". No sooner had I fixed this problem then another problem(s) arose. Game started up fine, diagnostics were all good to go, no issues, but as soon as I hit start I would hear the start of initial dialogue, the start of the music, the ball ejects into the shooter lane and instantly I get a tilt warning. It stays on, and doesn't turn off. Triggering the tilt sensors starts the secondary-tilt warning that says "Back off!", but it still doesn't stop it.
The other issue is intermittently I am getting the U10 PIA Failure at startup (in dozens of startups, it has only happened a few times). So, I get the failure this last time and smell burning. I turn the machine off. Replacing the new cpu board with the old one, I get startup just fine, game plays fine, no tilt warning, but the display is all garbled up.

Doing some digging, I come across this: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/u10-pia-failure-where-to-find-and-replacement-repair-advice

According to that thread:
-I need to replace Capacitor 8 with a 100mfd 50 volt one to fix U10 PIA Failure error
-I need to replace SRC6 with a 1K ohm x 9, Bussed 0.1 Watt, 10 Pin SIP (cutting off the 10th pin).
I have this for my new board:
http://rottendog.us/mpu011c.htm
http://ksarcade.net/rottendog-boards/rottendog-cpus-mpus/new-replacement-cpu-for-williams-system-11.html

As you can see in the second picture, the board has a secondary board that sits on top. As far as I can see, this is where C8 is, but I want to be sure on that (if you look at the pic on ksarcade, on the secondary board it is in the second column from the left, and is the 4th item down from the top...from what I can tell anyways). Is that correct?

The other problem is that I can't find SRC6 on either board. On the original board they are up at the top, and it jumps from SRC5 to SRC7. The only other one I see is SR6 (which I assume is not what they were referring to). On the new board, all of the resistor networks are labelled RA#. So would I go with RA6 on the new board (which is located in roughly the same spot as SR6 on the old board)? Help?

Beyond that, I have no idea what was burning, and there is no scorching or anything anywhere on the board. As I was checking fuses afterwards, I did notice that fuse F3 looked like it had heated up (but not broken), as the inside was a little hazy. They are all the original slow blow fuses that were in there, so I'm not sure if that's what would have caused it, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Suggestions?

#6 11 years ago

Smells are usually from coils stucked by fried driver transistor !!!!

I suggest to do replacements in steps to isolate failure ( step & test )
first do :
I need to replace Capacitor 8 with a 100mfd 50 volt one to fix U10 PIA Failure error
the SRC hardly fail and is not easy to replace
use the diagnose to see if some switches are acting strange regarding to tilt ,,,,, and check slam tilt on coin door first !

#7 11 years ago

It seemed to me that the smell was coming from the back box, not under the playfield, but I suppose it is possible (especially since nothing on the board looked fried).

Replacing cap8 should fix the U10 PIA Error, but I will still be stuck with the tilt error, which seems much trickier to fix. I only have a couple coils lying around, so replacing those right away will be a bit tricky unless I can find someone local who sells them, but I'll see i I can jumper them and get the game to stop tilting. I have already checked all the tilt switches, and the only tilt switch that gives me a secondary tilt warning is the slam tilt on the coin door. Triggering the other switches does nothing once the initial tilt warning goes off upon starting the game (though, I confirmed with my DMM that both the tilt under the PF and the plumb bob tilt are both functioning).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Poland, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-sfx-and-voice-but-no-music-display-garbled and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.