Topic Stats

• 1,197 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 446 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191016_202701 (resized).jpg
20191016_202711 (resized).jpg
20191016_202714 (resized).jpg
20191008_120103 (resized).jpg
18A03C8E-424B-4725-824D-F7904555DDE7 (resized).jpeg
03958A3C-9F5E-4B58-912E-615A161D84E7 (resized).jpeg
B8480022-5F41-4020-B236-4E8B8888B109 (resized).jpeg
EC61E978-DD61-46A2-A324-7E3C0E2D9C63 (resized).jpeg
BF12DA39-1A9C-4D0C-8458-A4440C5A703E (resized).jpeg
20190923_153050 (resized).jpg
20190514_120355 (resized).jpg
20190514_114813 (resized).jpg
20190704_180727 (resized).jpg
20190704_174018 (resized).jpg
20190514_114504 (resized).jpg
20190514_114502 (resized).jpg

There are 1197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.
#151 5 years ago

1. Is the entire playfield leaning to the left or is it just the backboard?

2. That rod is junk! File it down and remove it and toss it.

3. There is a short black plastic ramp with 2 tabs on each end of it. Its about as long as the drop assembly. I can shoot you a pic of one when I get home from work this afternoon.

#152 5 years ago

I'll do a level when I get home. Just bothered me..... I figured I would have to replace the rod. It's a mess!

And as for the little ramp, I was affraid of that. I didn't see anything like that. Hopefully I overlooked something or it's sitting in his game room and he can send it to me. We'll see. I looked through everything this morning ...maybe I missed it.

#153 5 years ago

Did you try loosening the 2 screws on the back of the backboard to see if there is enough play to straighten it out? If the entire playfield is leaning, check the pivot brackets to make sure something isn't off there. That is really the only thing that could effect the entire playfield being off.

#154 5 years ago

Yeah. My plan tonight was to take the PF off the pivot and reseat it then try again. I feel that has to be the reason just need to figure out how to fix it.

1 week later
#155 4 years ago

I. Heart. SoF.

#156 4 years ago

If anyone near Central NJ has one for sale, lemme know. I'll also trade my Centaur II for one, granted it is in very nice shape.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Next puzzler is the shooter rod. I went to replace the spring but couldn't get it out. I took the E clip off and then took the shooter tip rubber off and this is what I found.
Normally I just take the E clip off and it all comes off. But the end of this one is tapered. It's actually KINDA pointed at the end. Anyone seen this before? Was it a hack? My plan is to file that edge off so I can get everything off. Any other suggestions?

I would Dremel that down to a shape you like. I had to do it once. I enjoy tasks like that.
-mof

#158 4 years ago

Thinking about selling mine in SoCal. If anyone is interested, PM me. We can talk price and pics then.
It's in great shape.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

Thinking about selling mine in SoCal. If anyone is interested, PM me

PM sent. Thanks!

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I would Dremel that down to a shape you like. I had to do it once. I enjoy tasks like that.
-mof

I'll prob just replace it but I like the stoick rod and haven;t found one yet. Might go with a nice red one but...we'll see. I suppose if I could find a sword one I would go with that......but where could I find one like that?!!?

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

If anyone near Central NJ has one for sale, lemme know. I'll also trade my Centaur II for one, granted it is in very nice shape.

That would never get it done, SoF is too hot lately to be traded for a lesser title like that.

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I'll prob just replace it but I like the stoick rod and haven;t found one yet. Might go with a nice red one but...we'll see. I suppose if I could find a sword one I would go with that......but where could I find one like that?!!?

I put a bone colored skull on mine....something like this.....ebay.com link » Pirates Scared Stiff Black Rose More Pinball Machine Skull Shooter Rod L K

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

That would never get it done, SoF is too hot lately to be traded for a lesser title like that.

Seriously? Lesser title? If that's the case, then I'll just back off of SoF. I was under the impression it was a $1200-1500 game, not $2k+.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Seriously? Lesser title? If that's the case, then I'll just back off of SoF. I was under the impression it was a $1200-1500 game, not $2k+.

Maybe a badly beat up SoF. But not a nice one.

#165 4 years ago

There are $1,200 SOF's out there.....but mine isn't one of them.

That's the problem with SOF, it hasn't jumped a ton in price over the past 3 years because it's such a hard title to find and many pinheads haven't played it.
Once people play it and find out about it pinheads seem to like it and want it.

LIONMAN hysteria is adding to the legend of the machine and some people want the game now because of all this additional hype. (not great for buyers)

It's hard to find this title in general, it took me 3 years to finally pry mine away from the seller.

Good luck thedefog, if you stay patient you will be able to find it for $1,500 or less.

Thanks
Mike

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from islandpinball:

That's the problem with SOF, it hasn't jumped a ton in price over the past 3 years because it's such a hard title to find and many pinheads haven't played it.
LIONMAN hysteria is adding to the legend of the machine and some people want the game now because of all this additional hype. (not great for buyers)
It's hard to find this title in general, it took me 3 years to finally pry mine away from the seller.
Good luck thedefog, if you stay patient you will be able to find it for $1,500 or less.
Thanks
Mike

Thanks man. I've been looking for the last year or so, just not posting ads and whatnot. I found out about it when I was reading a thread about game music (one of the most important things for me), and I downloaded the VP table and was blown away. So when I saw the whole LIONMAN thread go out of control, I got a little nervous. I guess it is justified when a SoF goes for more than a restored Centaur II. Oh well. This market is so weird. Someone on here (forget who) offered me a $1200 Player's condition Bad Cats. Should have taken him up on that. Stupid of me not to. Either of those games between $1200-1500 is what I'm looking for. Seems like both of them have been creeping up lately. You'd think the opposite with all the new games coming out.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

Maybe a badly beat up SoF. But not a nice one.

Hmmm. Gotta rethink things then. I was thinking someone was going to make out like a bandit on the Centaur II I have here. If the opposite is true, then SoF has to get scratched off the list of wanted machines. I guess it is impossible to tell because so few are around and you never know what they exchange for, unlike certain titles that trade hands every day.

#168 4 years ago

I'm always baffled how great machines go from interesting to overpriced in a span of a few hundred bucks in the $1-2K range, in a hobby where people are buying machines at $8K and up.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

interesting to overpriced in a span of a few hundred bucks in the $1-2K range

I don't totally disagree with you in terms of really, whats the difference between $1500 and $2000 in an expensive hobby. However, my typical pinball budget is under $2k, so every $100 counts. And if I have $2K I have to look at all my options and at this price range titles like ES, WW, and Diner come into play. SoF could be considered overpriced when falling into these title's price range. Obviously condition and lack of availability plays a part in this, but for me $2K would be overpriced compared to what I can get other top rated System 11 titles for. This is not a knock on SoF, but just trying to compare it to what other titles go for...and clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder...if you happen to think SoF is the best System 11 game, then $2K is very reasonable.

#170 4 years ago

I am replacing the shooter rod spring (and shooter rod for that matter if you saw my earlier post) and wanted to know what color "strength" shooter spring to use. Right now the one I have seems pretty powerful. I only need to pull it out like.....half an inch and it shoots it right up. Any suggestions?

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

And if I have $2K I have to look at all my options and at this price range titles like ES, WW, and Diner come into play. SoF could be considered overpriced when falling into these title's price range. Obviously condition and lack of availability plays a part in this, but for me $2K would be overpriced compared to what I can get other top rated System 11 titles for. This is not a knock on SoF, but just trying to compare it to what other titles go for...and clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder...if you happen to think SoF is the best System 11 game, then $2K is very reasonable.

Well the games you have mentioned are not the top sys 11 games F14 seems to fetch $1500 starting nowdays and good luck getting a BK2K for under $2000 as well Sof Is rare becouse most got shipped overseas so its a sellers market nowdays on this title and most people that have SOF dont want to sell them.

#172 4 years ago

I am a member of the SoF envy club which is a subsidiary of the SoF owners club. What can I say? I have sword envy.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Any suggestions?

Take Ogre's Alley

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

I'm always baffled how great machines go from interesting to overpriced in a span of a few hundred bucks in the $1-2K range, in a hobby where people are buying machines at $8K and up.

Because not everyone in this hobby is pulling in 6-figures and has a few extra hundred dollars. That is enough to keep a game out of reach for me. I am on a pretty tight budget where it is difficult to save. This is why I end up with project games and put sweat equity into them. This is the best I can do with what I make and still be part of the hobby.

This is not meant as a jab at anyone that does well financially or owns lots of games either. Just that anything north of $1500 isn't possible for me unless I sell other things I own or do a lot of repair work on the side and save for a while, hence the reason why I am selling another machine I restored to fund this.

#175 4 years ago

In the end there were already very few of these machines made, some have been trashed or GASP rethemed!!! (I love the Buffy one but still makes me sad), many are still in Europe, AND it's a sweet game that people don't want to let go of. So that's what drives it up.

Now with this frenzy going on SoF owners are sitting pretty.

I know I won't let mine go for anything less than a full college education for my daughter

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from islandpinball:

Thanks
Mike

nah, dont think so bro. If he stays patient, he might find a waterlogged SoF or pinflation will price him out. When these go for sale, they start at $2k, location doesn't even matter.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I know I won't let mine go for anything less than a full college education for my daughter

Hahaha! Seriously, you could start saving $100 a week with a 1 year old and not have enough with the way things are going.

This game only came onto my radar BECAUSE it fit my budget/price range. I could justify spending $1200-1500, granted it was 100% working and not beat up. North of that, and there are several other games I scratched off my wanted list that would come back on before this. That won't happen though. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a project SoF though.

A game with a similar production number I'm surprised hasn't changed at all is Laser War. The few I've tracked seem to have been listed for $800 +/- and they sit for a while because few are familiar or had played one. I'd recommend people download the VP table and check it out. If you come across one or see an ad for one, I'd definitely consider it. Great ruleset, fast, fun, great sound, amazing lightshow, and the most hideous translite next to hard body in all of pinball!

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

nah, dont think so bro. If he stays patient, he might find a waterlogged SoF or pinflation will price him out. When these go for sale, they start at $2k, location doesn't even matter.

Okay then. I guess I'll have to return the $1500 HUO Funhouse I picked up last year because it didn't happen.

I'm patient. I can wait. People can buy them for $2k+ if they wish. I can't.

#179 4 years ago

I've picked up 2 swords of fury in the last year, one from Bay Area for 900 and another here in Oregon for 1300. You guys that like shelling out big bucks for these games are the weird ones.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Blairally:

You guys that like shelling out big bucks for these games are the weird ones.

It is pretty apparent the only common ground not shared in pinball is price. Only 90% of the threads on the newsgroups and pinside have to do with them.

Everything else, and it is rainbows, kittens, and puppies in baskets.

#181 4 years ago

Speaking of which....back around to what I want, ha..... anyone know what strength/color spring to use on the game's shooter?

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Okay then. I guess I'll have to return the $1500 HUO Funhouse I picked up last year because it didn't happen.
I'm patient. I can wait. People can buy them for $2k+ if they wish. I can't.

There's a sucker born every day! lol

#183 4 years ago

Ramps, Ramps, Ramps... Swords of Fury is on my radar for a custom ramp. On some other threads, guys thought a dark transparent red would be cool. I no longer have this game so if any of you are interested in participating in a new ramp for this game in say the next 3-4 months... (have others I want to do first) get in touch with me. What I would be looking for is someone possibly in the middle of a restore that would be willing to "loan" me their ramp for about a month. In exchange I would offer a free custom colored or clear ramp.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

What I would be looking for is someone possibly in the middle of a restore that would be willing to "loan" me their ramp for about a month. In exchange I would offer a free custom colored or clear ramp.

What an awesome deal!

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

What I would be looking for is someone possibly in the middle of a restore that would be willing to "loan" me their ramp for about a month. In exchange I would offer a free custom colored or clear ramp.

(oops thought it was a Space Shuttle ramp request... nothing to see here.)
=)
-mof

#186 4 years ago

I'm going to do Space Shuttle too and have a local source and machine for that one...

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Blairally:

Ok this is bugging me, so is it mr Balrog who beckons you to "CHALLENGE MEH!!!" ?
And then proceeds to scream out "LIONMAN"
So is it Balrog speaking in the third person saying "LIONMAN, DEFEAT THE BALROG!" ?
Seems a bit odd speaking in the third asking someone to defeat themselves...

The sound ROM could easily be hacked for anyone that doesn't want to hear the "LIONMAN" call out. The "DEFEAT THE BALROD!" (I hear a "D" there) could be changed to "FIGHT ME!" or something more in line with "Challenge me". Very doable. Different voice actor for all of the male voice Balrog call-outs would be a huge improvement. The female voice is great though.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

There's a sucker born every day! lol

He wasn't a sucker at all. I told him straight up that his game was worth more than $1500. It was very dirty and needed a thorough cleaning (was never cleaned, not even once). He just wanted to get rid of it and have it go to a good home. He bought it for $800 10 years prior.

I later helped him fix his non-booting pinbot he originally bought for $100. Over the phone/emails back and forth we got it working, and he ended up selling it for $1000. He said he was going to sell it for like $600 non-working.

This was a guy that had created a game room for himself a decade earlier, got a few years use out of it, and just wanted to free up space. I still hear from him occasionally as he texts me games he sees that come up for sale.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'm going to do Space Shuttle too and have a local source and machine for that one...

There is an electronics shop local to me that does molds. If they got an original plastic ramp in good shape, they could make vacuum molds of multiple ramps for people to have "backups". They've got multiple color plastic pebbles, I've seen some of the work they've done, looks good. Dunno what they cost though, never asked. They're Greenbrook Electronics in Greenbrook NJ. Really friendly knowledgeable old guys there.

http://www.greenbrookelectronics.com/

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

There is an electronics shop local to me that does molds. If they got an original plastic ramp in good shape, they could make vacuum molds of multiple ramps for people to have "backups". They've got multiple color plastic pebbles, I've seen some of the work they've done, looks good. Dunno what they cost though, never asked. They're Greenbrook Electronics in Greenbrook NJ. Really friendly knowledgeable old guys there.

Are you talking about 3D printed ramps? Or just molds to form ramps over?

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Are you talking about 3D printed ramps? Or just molds to form ramps over?

Old school, not 3d printed.

1 week later
#192 4 years ago

I did get a volunteer SOF ramp from Pinsider, Nelly. SOF is next up and looks like I will be doing both the upper and lower ramps. If interested in following along I started a thread today specific to these ramps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps

#193 4 years ago

Just another sof owner chiming in, I love mine! I just wish cpr would do pf's for it...I'm not brave enough to remove my Mylar

#194 4 years ago

I haven't taken a good hard look yet but do any of you know a way to turn up the volume on the music and down on the SFX? I know on some of the Sys 6 games you can mix the voice vs. sfx (not the same) but worth asking.

1 week later
#195 4 years ago

Well word of warning. Only took me 4 weeks to break this wonderful machine! Decided to add some LED strips. Connected it to the flasher power. I hooked it to light when some of the flashers went. Pulled power from the 89s but had one of the three ground leads going to a 1251 ground lug. BAD idea. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD.

Not sure what all I broke...but it just makes me sad...no lionman for at least a month......sheesh

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Well word of warning. Only took me 4 weeks to break this wonderful machine! Decided to add some LED strips. Connected it to the flasher power. I hooked it to light when some of the flashers went. Pulled power from the 89s but had one of the three ground leads going to a 1251 ground lug. BAD idea. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD.
Not sure what all I broke...but it just makes me sad...no lionman for at least a month......sheesh

Did you check fuses?

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

Did you check fuses?

Yes. But what's happening is EVERYTHING turns on full blast when I turn the machine on. Not sure what all I did but the fuses are def good. When the machine turns on they all start popping. I am in ther process of slowing tracking the issue down.

Makes me sad.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Yes. But what's happening is EVERYTHING turns on full blast when I turn the machine on. Not sure what all I did but the fuses are def good. When the machine turns on they all start popping. I am in ther process of slowing tracking the issue down.
Makes me sad.

You need to undo your mod. You're creating a short to ground.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

You need to undo your mod. You're creating a short to ground.

I had the mod on alligator clips and I yanked it all off the second something seemed funny. First the upper PF flasher locked on. That's when I yanked the mod. I thought I blew the transistor, oh well. Turned it off, looked around didn't see anything dire so I restarted the machine (again no mod). At first the upper PF flasher was off, then it came on, then EVERYTHING came on.

So it's not my mod that is grounding it. I blew something.......I'm trying to figure out what....

#200 4 years ago

I have a BUNCH of people helping out. Always open to more help and suggestions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greenfield, WI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 1197 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside