Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ngreenup
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

New to me SOF, replaced all the insert lights and a row is burning out when I start the game. That row gets really bright than blows. The associated transistor Q58 was replaced today and it is still blowing the row. Q58 is getting incredibly hot in the few seconds the game is on. Any ideas of what might be causing this? The row is the one with multiball bonus 2x and 3x, the avenger score 50k, 150k, 250k, extra ball inserts.

#2 7 years ago

I would check farther upstream. Those column TIP42 transistors are pre-driven by Q51, Q53, Q55, Q57, Q59, Q61, Q63, and Q65 which are 2N6427 transistors.

I'm checking out the manual, and it looks like in your case, the pre-driver for Q58 would be Q57. While you're in there, I'd check those resistors as well for burns and desoldering.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I changed Q57 and Q58 (again). Q58 really got hot and burnt the board when I had the game turned on for about 60-75 seconds before I had changed Q57. Two of the trace pads on the back fell off when I tried to remove it. I soldered the new one to the pads on the top side of the board. I feel like a total bone head for having it on this long and am afraid I have done way more damage. Something started smoking when I turned it back on. I can't tell if its relay K1 or if that relay is just were the smoke is gathering and dispersing from the components below it. The sides of this relay now have black marks on it. That row of lights is still getting to much juice and blowing. Soon as I saw the smoke I turned it off and haven't plugged it again.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ngreenup:

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I changed Q57 and Q58 (again). Q58 really got hot and burnt the board when I had the game turned on for about 60-75 seconds before I had changed Q57. Two of the trace pads on the back fell off when I tried to remove it. I soldered the new one to the pads on the top side of the board. I feel like a total bone head for having it on this long and am afraid I have done way more damage. Something started smoking when I turned it back on. I can't tell if its relay K1 or if that relay is just were the smoke is gathering and dispersing from the components below it. The sides of this relay now have black marks on it. That row of lights is still getting to much juice and blowing. Soon as I saw the smoke I turned it off and haven't plugged it again.

Have a logic probe? Rows i think have a 7406 that invert the signal from the PIA. Check there and compare to other rows. Should be rapidly pulsing. Not stuck in a logic state or floating high impedance.

You can pull the lamp fuse for this test.

#5 7 years ago

So I got fed up and popped in the board from a working police force. Almost instantly the new working board started smoking in the same area. So I guess the problem isn't in the mpu?

#6 7 years ago

Fixed. There was a flasher socket shorting to an insert light. After separating them and replacing the transistor and predriver again everything works. At least on one of the boards. The other is pretty toasted and I haven't attempted new transistors again. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-lights-burning-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.