image_(resized).jpg
SOF_Upper_Black_(resized).JPG
20160118_162707_(resized).jpg
20160118_162627_(resized).jpg
20160118_160527_(resized).jpg
20160118_160735_(resized).jpg
20160118_123753_(resized).jpg
20160118_162738_(resized).jpg
There are 514 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

In the mean time, there was discussion on how a clear would look with the associated hardware. When Nelly receives the ramps and gets time to "photo shoot" the various combinations in an actual game hopefully your decisions will be easier, but for the moment, I wanted to post a photo of a finished clear ramp with all associated hardware attached as a preview.

Too much ugly hardware to go clear, imho ... but I don't even own a SoF.

But it's pretty awesome that you're showing the progress/outcome, Mark. Pinball Pron at its best. Thanks.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Too much ugly hardware to go clear, imho

I initially thought the hardware exposed on the High Speed would too visible, but in the end it looked fine. The black plastic conduit helps a lot visibly.

Someone had come up with the idea of painting certain sections of a clear ramp...Good idea. Steve Richie thought a roadbed on the High Speed would look good, but my design with curves built into it prevents any application of a decal. However, once could be painted on. This Krylon Fusion for Plastic is some pretty good paint!

#203 8 years ago

Couple items...

Attached are a couple photos. One shows the modified entrance to the upper ramp where I have flattened the entrance slightly for a more positive attachment of the ramp to the playfield...basically, it fits flat to the playfield surface.

I don't actually have the game anymore, so questions come up and I'm reaching out to you. In the second photo of the clear ramp, there are two holes in the bottom of the upper portion of the ramp in the area around the diverters. They are circled in red. What I would like to know is, are these holes there as actual attach points for the ramp? (where the ramp is screwed down) or are they there to allow clearance for posts below? The reason I ask is that these two holes are perilously close to the cutouts for the diverter arms thus creating a weak spot in the ramp. At the very least I will likely add a small bead of cement in this area on the acrylics.

IMG_0751.JPGIMG_0751.JPG IMG_0749b.jpgIMG_0749b.jpg
#204 8 years ago

Think I just figured out the answer on the two holes. Appears this is where the ramp attaches to the diverter assembly...

#205 8 years ago

You are correct. Those are where the ramp attaches to each diverter assembly.

#206 8 years ago

Update...

A local enthusiast has agree to loan me his SOF so that I can do precise fitting as well as test some ideas I have for strengthening the acrylic colored ramps. I should have the game on Thursday. I will first remove his ramp, then lay the various colored and clear ramps in the game and post photos for those of you unsure about color combinations. I will then install an acrylic colored ramp set with various added structural support, then play the heck out of it to see if I can break the ramps. I'm also anxious to see what can be done with additional lighting.

Hope to post the first in game photos up by next Friday....Mark

#207 8 years ago

Video it for a utube link, that way we can see it with blinking lights.

#208 8 years ago

I think the Clear would still look pretty good but since black is just painted clear and provides the strength without worry then that could be nice.

In general I always prefer clear ramps.

#209 8 years ago

Can't wait to see it. I'll have to try and find some of that 70's prism grid orange sticker that is at the front of the ramp. I have a socket there with a color changing bulb that reflects the entrance of that ramp and looks great. Don't want to lose that effect with my new ramp.

#210 8 years ago

While I await the arrival of a friend's SOF, I am experimenting with some reinforcement at the entrance to the acrylic ramps. In the photos below I have adhered some clear 1/8" clear PETG with silicone to the outside of the entrance walls. If this proves too obtrusive or visually ineffective when I test fit, I might try some 1/16" Lexan. I like the PETG simply because in itself is somewhat flexible as is the silicone.. Energy absorbing maybe??

IMG_0752.JPGIMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0753.JPGIMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0754.JPGIMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0755.JPGIMG_0755.JPG

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

visually ineffective

That sums up my Strange Science ramps

#212 8 years ago

Hmmm, not sure that's going to work. They crack at the bend and having one side of the bend stronger than the other may actually hurt you (i.e the wall won't flex as much which will send the energy to the bend which is the week point already).

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Black knight's just about done, so I took a few minutes to check out the new stickers... the colors are off, tell me what you think...
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
I think I need to have them re-done

The Stickers are being re-worked this week, I should have an update this weekend

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Hmmm, not sure that's going to work. They crack at the bend and having one side of the bend stronger than the other may actually hurt you (i.e the wall won't flex as much which will send the energy to the bend which is the week point already).

The best solution would be Cliffy's, but he indicated it may be a while before he gets to them. I left a greater radius on the lower edges. I could rivet spring steel to the insides but if you are correct, that would not make much difference. Any Ideas?

I should have the game tomorrow and can see what else I could do.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The best solution would be Cliffy's, but he indicated it may be a while before he gets to them. I left a greater radius on the lower edges. I could rivet spring steel to the insides but if you are correct, that would not make much difference. Any Ideas?

Maybe a "U" shaped piece of thin steel (like a cliffy style part) could hug the underside and outer side part of the ramp?

Rivet it to the side walls? or use silicone, but the silicone may loosen overtime possibly if the steel has any spring to it and doesn't perfectly match the contour of the ramp

#216 8 years ago

Clearly we need a good solution at the entrance at the lower ramp which has taken serious abuse. I hope to post photos of the various colors in the game by tomorrow or Saturday. Once that is done I will see what I can come up with. Just may have to be stainless steel guards attached to the entrance posts.

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Since that ramp doesn't have a entrance flap mounted to it, could you make a piece of PETG that would wrap around the entire bottom and sides? You could slot the front of it to allow the bottom lip of the ramp to still sit on the playfield. I am picturing something like this (sorry for my crappy artistic skills):

Plastic add on.pngPlastic add on.png

#218 8 years ago

Maybe. I can give it a try. As soon as I get the game it will be a lot easier for me to visualize what we can do to protect that ramp. Will need to get a perfect fit so may actually have to form the material. I did reach out to Cliffy one last time, but I know he's very busy and really jumped through some hoops to do the Genesis protectors.

BTW... your drawing is very clear.

#219 8 years ago

Good News!

Have been in email exchanges with Cliff Rinear (Cliffy's!) this morning and he has agreed to move the Swords of Fury ramp protectors to the Top of the List. As soon as I get the machine set up I will start providing Cliff with the info he needs to create these. Specifically what I'm thinking is protectors for both sides of the lower ramp and for the right uphill side of the upper ramp. Left side is already protected with the stock metal. In addition I may add a small cemented strip of plastic at the lower radius of the walls. This combination should greatly increase the durability of these ramps.

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Have been in email exchanges with Cliff Rinear (Cliffy's!) this morning and he has agreed to move the Swords of Fury ramp protectors to the Top of the List.

Good news indeed. New ramps, new stickers... and custom Cliffys - a winning combination!

#221 8 years ago

So... Now have an SOF in the house. Will begin dismantling it today and hope to post various photos, hopefully tomorrow.

#222 8 years ago

Hot Digitty Dog!

#223 8 years ago

I really enjoy the collaboration on these ramp projects. When the game was delivered today we of course spent a good hour talking about the SOF ramps and I even demonstrated a forming of a High Speed for him. One of the reasons I offer these ramps as alternatives to the original ramps is that we can really change the look of a game...especially with the new lighting options that are available. He popped out an interesting idea when he was here (Thanks Lou!). At the Diverters there are three colored lights that protrude up through the Black ABS to indicate which direction the ball will be routed by the diverter. He thought it might be interesting to not put those holes in the plastic and let a light down within the plastic light up the red or blue ramp... Hmmm...that one I am going to have to test!

#224 8 years ago

The machine I was loaned is in generally pretty good shape, however as soon as I started to dismantle it I discovered that it too had damage at the entrance to the upper ramp... Pretty creative repair job here....just move the flap further up the ramp! Note original hold down holes and where the ramp used to reach noted in red...

IMG_0761.JPGIMG_0761.JPG
#225 8 years ago

OK.... Since the ramps as was given as well as at least the upper ramp in the game I have now were damaged, the first thing I needed to do was figure out just what the entrance should look like. Pretty simple if you actually have the game. Could not have guessed it without it.

So this is just the first teaser... Photo of the existing stock ramp sitting in the game and the PETG painted black underneath sitting in the game without any hardware.

I think for the ultimate photo shoot I will completely install (temp screws and not rivets and probably without entrance flap) each combination into the game. I also think that with anything other than black the desired effect would be better with increased GI under the ramp, so I might add at least a couple light for the tests.

IMG_0762.JPGIMG_0762.JPG IMG_0765.JPGIMG_0765.JPG
#226 8 years ago

Also, underneath the upper ramp just above the tunnel entrance is a flash lamp... that should look pretty cool under the colored ramps.

#227 8 years ago

REFLECTIONS

Can I pre-pay now for Space Shuttle? (LOL) that clear-black looks great -- the upgrade in looks alone (regardless of wear and tear) merit an upgrade.
-mof

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Can I pre-pay now for Space Shuttle?

Absolutely not... I want to be different in the Pinball World and never expect prepay! I might try to squeeze the F-14 in soon, but I'll hold off on Space Shuttle until this fall likely. Need to enjoy a little summer!

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Absolutely not... I want to be different in the Pinball World and never expect prepay! I might try to squeeze the F-14 in soon, but I'll hold off on Space Shuttle until this fall likely. Need to enjoy a little summer!

Ok, cool. Check's in the mail.

-mof

#230 8 years ago

i can send you a picture of where that ramp should line up with the flap if you are having trouble seeing where everything should be once in the game.

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i can send you a picture of where that ramp should line up with the flap if you are having trouble seeing where everything should be once in the game.

No problem, I can see it very easily but thanks. Ramps are fitting very well. I do recall that you said there were some differences in the lower edge of the diverter cutouts and I can see that in the two samples I have now. The ramp I modeled after had them cut lower than I would like. The second ramp has a lot more meat at the bottom. Due to the proximity of the two larger holes in the bottom of the ramp by the diverter where the actual hold down screws are, I am going to modify my cut a little higher for more strength. When anyone installs one of these ramps, once installed they should check that the diverter arms clear the ramp openings. As it looks right now the game I have clears them very easily even with the higher cut. Better to leave a little more meat. If any had an issue the lower edge could be very easily sanded down a little. Appreciate you pointing this out.

It's fun to actually see them in the game. Initially I thought the blue wasn't the best choice, but now with the game on it looks great. Also the red is HOT!

I want to take the time to temporarily mount the hardware on each one so all can see very close to the finish product.

#232 8 years ago

its easier to shave off at home, than have too much space. I think most of us own dremels or know someone that does.

#233 8 years ago

OK... I promise I will send a complete set of photos showing the various combinations, but I just can't help myself when I see something I think is exciting.

I set the two red ramps, and trust me, the camera does not do the red justice, and shot a no flash photo with the game in attract mode. For comparison I also shot a photo with the stock black ramps sitting in the game, again, no flash.

The GI under the plastic to the left of the lower ramp is providing most of the light to the reds.

IMG_0770.JPGIMG_0770.JPG IMG_0771.JPGIMG_0771.JPG
#234 8 years ago

Here's a side shot of just the lower red ramp...

IMG_0768.JPGIMG_0768.JPG
#235 8 years ago

Red looks great! Very cool, and great work on these.

#236 8 years ago

Wow!

Can you take a shot of the whole playfield with the Reds in?... I'm probably trying to get you to get ahead of your self, but shots of the whole pf with the ramps would be awesome to help me and maybe others make a solid decision

Gorgeous work

#237 8 years ago

It is great to see some new blood in the ramp making market. These look fantastic! Red on SoF is perfect.

#238 8 years ago

I will try to get the complete photo sets tomorrow. I'd like to get the ramp protector detail off to Cliffy, hopefully by Saturday. I want to attach the hardware to each of the upper ramps so we can get a good view of each. I'm also considering at least one more GI light up in the back to illuminate the colored ramps.

#239 8 years ago

Being able to see the ball action in the horseshoe is priceless.
-mof

#240 8 years ago

I can't wait to see what red over blue or black looks like. very exciting! Thanks for doing this!!

#241 8 years ago

looking forward to clear ramp and clear ramp with colored bulb below.

#242 8 years ago

WOWZA!!!! VERY NICE WORK!!

#243 8 years ago

Yeah, you already have my money for a SOF clear set. Just let me know when to send... I bought a clear HS ramp and your attention to detail is awesome.

#244 8 years ago

Wish i had a SOF

#245 8 years ago

keep wishing, you'll get one, I wished through most of this thread

#246 8 years ago

I'd let mine go for $2200...maybe....lol

#247 8 years ago

Wow!! Glad I picked the red. Super excited hurry hurry!!!!!!!

#248 8 years ago

that red is pulling at me heart strings. I'm getting so excited to see the combinations

#250 8 years ago

Might not be until tomorrow night before I can post the photos...photos are better at night. I'm working on getting models of the protectors to Cliffy for the right side entrance of the upper ramp and both sides of the lower ramps....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cheat Lake, WV
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 514 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.