Topic Stats

• 502 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by MrPar
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 170 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

swords_brams_003_(resized).JPG
swords_brams_002_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_20160416_170623224_HDR_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160416_170641277_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
SOF_Upper_Black_(resized).JPG
20160118_162707_(resized).jpg
20160118_162627_(resized).jpg
20160118_160527_(resized).jpg
20160118_160735_(resized).jpg
20160118_123753_(resized).jpg
20160118_162738_(resized).jpg

There are 502 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
#151 3 years ago

First teaser.... a little quicker than Genesis!

SOF Teaser.JPG
#152 3 years ago

NICE!

#153 3 years ago

So Cool!
Ditto, nick work!

I should have the stickers this week, hopefully they pass inspection and will be good to go

#154 3 years ago

Looks nice!!! Damn that's a deep draw!

#155 3 years ago

Please add my to list. Thx!

#156 3 years ago

I reached out to another Pinsider for some info on the game but he is out until early next week and I want to address some issues for improvement on the ramps...so I thought I would post here for input as well...

Some initial areas of concern are:

The left lower edge of the entrance to the upper ramp...cracked on the model I am using
Entrance to the upper ramp where the hold down screws are...again cracked
Cracks along the lower edge opposite the diverters.
Destruction on both sides of the entrance to the lower ramp.

As far as the cracks are concerned at the entrance to the upper ramp as well as opposite the diverters... Plastic, when molded with sharp edges naturally become weak points over time. The upper mold must be a "female" mold and thus I am able to control the radius at these edges. What I will do for these is to allow a greater radius to strengthen these points.

For the screw down holes at the entrance, on the model I have they are both broken, most likely because they are very close to the leading edge. I want to modify the entrance slightly to give the screws more meat. What I'm thinking about doing is making the entrance slightly longer to giver them more meat as well as flattening out the entrance just a little to give a more positive securement to the playfield. I reviewed some photos at Christopherhutchins.com and appears there is room to accomplish both of these modifications.

The existing game has a ramp protector on the left entrance which is good. Some photos I have seen show, in addition to being secured to the entrance post, it is also secured with both a screw on the top edge and in some photos it is also riveted to the ramp. I think a better overall solution to this mounting scenario is to just put a couple dabs of silicone in place of the rivet and the screw.

The lower ramp....Lot of potential damage at the entrance.. Think the best solution here is ramp protectors by Cliffy....will communicate directly with him... If ramp protectors are not going to be available I am considering cementing a piece of PETG to the outer sides at the entrance...but protectors would be best. The lower ramp is a "Male" mold...opposite of the upper ramp...I will also slightly increase the radius of the lower edges for greater durability.

Aesthetically, on the inside of the upper ramp up hill curve is a rather abrupt cut in the ramp where it transitions to the edge of the up hill side of the ramp. I am going to "curve this transition slightly to make it a "smoother" transition.

Appreciate any input from you guys...

#157 3 years ago

Photos of rough cut ramps tomorrow!

#158 3 years ago

First shot of available colors. Note these are just rough cut and will be finished once I build the necessary jigs.

IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0725.JPG
#159 3 years ago

Those are amazing!

#160 3 years ago

Just picked up a sof. Lionman need red please!!

#161 3 years ago

Mark, I'm in for black for sure... Is that black petg? Or did you spray them?

#162 3 years ago

I hope you get some business from new machine start-up groups or companies! Keep up the good work and it just might happen!!

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Red looks very good but black if it's original and not spray painted. Either is fine.
What a clever bloke you are.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Mark, I'm in for black for sure... Is that black petg? Or did you spray them?

Quoted from AndyBadCatsUK:

Red looks very good but black if it's original and not spray painted. Either is fine.
What a clever bloke you are.

The black is clear PETG with the bottom painted (PETG is only available in clear unless you want to order about 1000#). While over the past few years I feel that Krylon paint is just not what it used to be...However, the Krylon Fusion for plastic is pretty impressive. I painted the underside, then went about the cutting and sanding and it held up very well. I did scratch one spot and it was easily touched up and unnoticeable. The paint fully cures over a period of 7 days. I really think this is a great alternative to the traditional black ABS. The appearance is very black compared to an ABS ramp and incredibly shiny. Plus the PETG is much more durable than ABS.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I hope you get some business from new machine start-up groups or companies! Keep up the good work and it just might happen!!

I work with FAST Pinball and at this time not really pursuing any new pinball business. I like what I'm doing now and don't want to become a slave to it, but who knows.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

The red, just like the blue look so much better in person....they just don't photograph well.

#167 3 years ago

Some stuff to think about... With the High Speed ramp, I offered to do the assembly for those who were not set up to do riveting. The bottom ramp is very simple and is just a straight installation. My personal recommendation for that ramp is the clear PETG for durability. If Cliffy makes ramp protectors for SOF, the lower ramp really needs them, especially if a red or blue is desired.

The upper ramp as you can see on the first page of the SOF ramp post has a lot of stuff attached to it with rivets. I can do just as I did with High Speed and offer assembly service, but it will be at least $25, maybe $30. This would involve you sending me the parts to put on a new ramp...OR, I may offer to show any of you how to do it yourself. There is a simple tool available at either Pin Restore or Hanson's Rivets for $25. It is a hand held roll over die. You simply position the head of the rivet against a piece of hardwood, then hammer the rivet. I may even shoot a short video. I have a rivet press, but there are times when due to the location of the rivet, the press can't be used. In those cases, I use the hand held one and it works perfectly. I may also consider providing the necessary rivets for purchase. Pin Restore also sells a really great rivet startup kit. I believe his rivets are plated brass which would probably be easier to work with than the steel rivets I use.

Here' a link to the Pin Restore website where you can see the "Rivet Rollover Punch" and the rivet kit...

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

With Pinball machines, learning to do riveting is a good skill to learn.

I am still probably a couple weeks out before I can start shipping these and I want to ship the first ones to the gentleman that provided me the ramps to use as models and hopefully we can get him to take us some photos to help with the color selections.

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Got you on the list!

#169 3 years ago

Niiiiiiiiiice

#170 3 years ago

Just a photo to demonstrate the difference between ABS (granted, old) and PETG painted on the underside with Krylon Fusion for Plastic. The appearance of the painted ramps is very much like how black patton leather looks.

ABS vs Painted PETG.JPG
#171 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Just a photo to demonstrate the difference between ABS (granted, old) and PETG painted on the underside with Krylon Fusion for Plastic. The appearance of the painted ramps is very much like how black patton leather looks.

ABS vs Painted PETG.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

As always, fantastic work.
-mof

#172 3 years ago

I hope your enthusiasm for this project lasts long enough to create Space Shuttle ramps -- I've decided that my game deserves no black. It should celebrate USA and be all red-white-blue-and stainless steel.
-mof

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I hope your enthusiasm for this project lasts long enough to create Space Shuttle ramps -- I've decided that my game deserves no black. It should celebrate USA and be all red-white-blue-and stainless steel.
-mof

Have to say I agree. I have a nice, new black ramp for my SS, but would rather go with one of your ramps instead.

#174 3 years ago

Pretty nice work there boss.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Quoted from dothedoo:

Have to say I agree. I have a nice, new black ramp for my SS, but would rather go with one of your ramps instead.

Space shuttle is on my list of to do's. When I rebuilt my machine to accommodate the intricacies of the Genesis ramps, I also made it much bigger to handle larger ramps. However, I now need to build the bigger oven which I will start on very soon...likely as soon as I get the SOF ramps rolling.

#177 3 years ago

I really wana see these in a machine. Its super hard to make a decision.

#178 3 years ago

I'm in.

Still thinking clear but would love to see photos in a game

#179 3 years ago

What about clear upper black lower? Hmmmm...so many choices!

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I really wana see these in a machine. Its super hard to make a decision.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I'm in.
Still thinking clear but would love to see photos in a game

What about clear upper black lower? Hmmmm...so many choices!

Pinsider Nelly was the one kind enough to donate his ramps so that I could make these. As soon as I get the jigs set up so that I can do all the cuts and drilling then attach flaps, I am going to ship him off all 4 sets. Although he no longer owns a true SOF, he has a friend with one and has offered to take the ramps for test fit and photos. I understand there are many possible combinations and I agree that seeing them in the machine is critical. Even with the Genesis ramps, after Chris Hibler posted photos in the game, almost 90% opted for the clear ones.

I used to own SOF so I too am exited to see how they look. I will get the ramps off to Nelly as soon as I can. Certainly by next Monday...maybe sooner.

#181 3 years ago

Looking sharp! Put me on the list of interested parties.

#182 3 years ago

Man, those look great. I still want a clear. Thanks for your dedication on this!

#183 3 years ago

My Buffy still has a SoF Playfield in it, so I'll get in touch with him to see if he wants me to do it (hell, I might be the guy he has in mind --ha!)

Quoted from Freeplay40:

Pinsider Nelly was the one kind enough to donate his ramps so that I could make these. As soon as I get the jigs set up so that I can do all the cuts and drilling then attach flaps, I am going to ship him off all 4 sets. Although he no longer owns a true SOF, he has a friend with one and has offered to take the ramps for test fit and photos. I understand there are many possible combinations and I agree that seeing them in the machine is critical. Even with the Genesis ramps, after Chris Hibler posted photos in the game, almost 90% opted for the clear ones.
I used to own SOF so I too am exited to see how they look. I will get the ramps off to Nelly as soon as I can. Certainly by next Monday...maybe sooner.

#184 3 years ago

I want to get on the list for a set of these. However it is one does that.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I want to get on the list for a set of these. However it is one does that.

On the list!

#186 3 years ago

Add me to the list as well and I don't even have SOF...yet.

#187 3 years ago

I'll sell you one for 1 billion dollars!

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

I'll sell you one for 1 billion dollars!

Me too

#189 3 years ago

Any update on the sticker guy?

I am increasingly thinking i want a clear top and black lower. How cool would it be to see the bal go up to the upper playfield?

#190 3 years ago

Any update on the sticker guy?
I am increasingly thinking i want a clear top and black lower. How cool would it be to see the bal go up to the upper playfield?

You just can't know until you see them in the machine. So many potential combinations. When I did the Genesis ramps, most initially wanted either Pink or Blue, but in the end over 90% went with the clears!

#191 3 years ago

So from what your saying it looks like the clear are cosmetically better and also stronger than the coloured versions . If this is the case I will opt for clear on both ramps as longevity is a better option for me. I would be after the rivets too and I would assemble back in the UK. Stunning work so far my friend.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from AndyBadCatsUK:

So from what your saying it looks like the clear are cosmetically better and also stronger than the coloured versions . If this is the case I will opt for clear on both ramps as longevity is a better option for me. I would be after the rivets too and I would assemble back in the UK. Stunning work so far my friend.

The clear and/or painted black are PETG plastic and much more durable than the acrylic. The upper ramp has a stock ramp protector on the left side, but should have some protection on the right side as well. The lower ramp, a lot due to it's location closer to the flipper, gets hit even harder and again there is often damage to both sides at the entrance.

I know that Cliffy wants to make protectors for this game, but like all of us, it takes time. I am less concerned about damage to the upper ramp at the entrance with the PETG, however the lower ramp will be subject to more abuse simply because it is closer to the flippers....greater energy. If acrylic colored is opted for on the lower ramps, it simply must have protection at the entrance... probably best for the PETG as well.

Some of the things I am considering to strengthen the entrances to both ramps is to apply spring steel protection to the sides. Typically I would rivet these in place, but with the potential for Cliffy to make better protectors, I'm thinking about applying the spring steel with silicone which could be removed at a later date. Another option I'm considering is, cementing some small clear PETG panels to the outside walls at the entrances with cement.

I am taking my time right now working on the finishing processes and hope to have the sample ramps ready to ship to Nelly in a few more days.

Nelly was kind enough to donate the upper ramp complete with all hardware. As soon as I complete the finishing on the first set of ramps, I am going to install (just with screws for demonstration) that hardware on the clear ramp. There is a lot of hardware on this ramp and I am anxious to see what it looks like as it will all be visible.

We're getting close.....Mark

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

As soon as I complete the finishing on the first set of ramps, I am going to install (just with screws for demonstration) that hardware on the clear ramp. There is a lot of hardware on this ramp and I am anxious to see what it looks like as it will all be visible.

This has been a concern of mine from the beginning with the clear version. I think it will look funny if left alone. Having it painted would obviously cure this. Even the colored ones may show a lot of this stuff, but not as blatantly. I'm looking forward to checking them out!!

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

This has been a concern of mine from the beginning with the clear version. I think it will look funny if left alone. Having it painted would obviously cure this. Even the colored ones may show a lot of this stuff, but not as blatantly. I'm looking forward to checking them out!!

Same concern here. An opaque upper ramp seems necessary.

Quoted from Freeplay40:

....What I will do for these is to allow a greater radius to strengthen these points.
For the screw down holes at the entrance, on the model I have they are both broken, most likely because they are very close to the leading edge.

...as well as flattening out the entrance just a little to give a more positive securement to the playfield.

.... If ramp protectors are not going to be available I am considering cementing a piece of PETG to the outer sides at the entrance...but protectors would be best.

Quoted from Freeplay40:

...The clear and/or painted black are PETG plastic and much more durable than the acrylic. The upper ramp has a stock ramp protector on the left side, but should have some protection on the right side as well.

.... If acrylic colored is opted for on the lower ramps, it simply must have protection at the entrance... probably best for the PETG as well.
Some of the things I am considering to strengthen the entrances to both ramps is to apply spring steel protection to the sides.

....cementing some small clear PETG panels to the outside walls at the entrances with cement.

....I am going to install (just with screws for demonstration) that hardware on the clear ramp. There is a lot of hardware on this ramp and I am anxious to see what it looks like as it will all be visible.

Love all the attention to making improvements Mark! I'm in favour of a greater radius at weak points, double thick walls and similar reinforcements for acrylic ramps. Given that the durable PETG can be painted to an extent it seems to have made my choice easier. Regardless, can't wait to see a complete setup.

Keep up the great work!

#195 3 years ago

I second all of this!

Ok so the stickers are in. I have my game covered at the moment, hopefully tomorrow I'll be finished with my black knight and uncover swords to put the stickers on the ramps and make sure colors are good. Reporting back soon...

#196 3 years ago

Black knight's just about done, so I took a few minutes to check out the new stickers... the colors are off, tell me what you think...

image.jpg

I think I need to have them re-done

#197 3 years ago

Yeah, needs more yellow-orange, less lime.

#198 3 years ago

yes, you need more of a taxi cab yellow. make sure it's white backed so it stands out no matter what version of the ramp you choose.

#199 3 years ago

OK... Granted I have been taking it a little easy the past two weeks... What I have been working on were production issues that will help me get these out to you. I will ship the 4 sets (Blue, Red, Clear and black) to Nelly on Tuesday.

In the mean time, there was discussion on how a clear would look with the associated hardware. When Nelly receives the ramps and gets time to "photo shoot" the various combinations in an actual game hopefully your decisions will be easier, but for the moment, I wanted to post a photo of a finished clear ramp with all associated hardware attached as a preview.

Note that the photos sort of evolve. In addition to showing photos of the hardware as it exists attached, I also took some photos with plastic wire conduit installed as possibly something that might interest you...

Getting close now!....Mark

IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG

#200 3 years ago

The guys that go with the clear ramps should do the conduit in my opinion. Maybe even a red or blue conduit, something to go with the color scheme.?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 11.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, CT
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 502 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside